focus front cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 focus duratec 2.0 is leaking oil out of the front cover I've never done one and neither has the guy who's doing the repair. I am not allowed since it's a warranty deal and I could have a vested interest or some nonsense. But reading the service manual it calls for several different tools. Why? Why can't you just remove the stuff in the way remove crank pulley and unbolt the cover and be done? What the deal with locking the cams? And a bolt in the back of the block for the crank? Why is all that necessary ? And can someone give me some advice or pointers on doing this. Thank you all.

If you work at a dealer and you and the appropriate tech hasn't done this before, what's the chance someone here will know?

Since you and he are dealer techs, you could learn the hard way doing it without the tools and see what happens in the end product.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My 2014 focus duratec 2.0 is leaking oil out of the front cover I've never done one and neither has the guy who's doing the repair. I am not allowed since it's a warranty deal and I could have a vested interest or some nonsense. But reading the service manual it calls for several different tools. Why? Why can't you just remove the stuff in the way remove crank pulley and unbolt the cover and be done? What the deal with locking the cams? And a bolt in the back of the block for the crank? Why is all that necessary ? And can someone give me some advice or pointers on doing this. Thank you all.

Head over to Youtube and ask a senior master tech for Ford
his channel is called Fordtechmakuloco.

YT Fordtechmakuloco channel

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
A 2014 is it under a 36 month warranty ?

Ford's has a 5yr/60K powertrain warranty, which includes the timing chain cover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
What the deal with locking the cams? And a bolt in the back of the block for the crank?

Probably to keep the engine in time mechanically.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
A 2014 is it under a 36 month warranty ?

It's a 2014 so of course.

Locking the cams and locking the crank down makes sure that the engine is still timed correctly if anything happens to the timing chain while removing the cover.

Doesn't a dealer have any kind of online support available for these kind of thing? Don't they have a service manual or something available for their dealer techs?

If a dealer has to resort to asking question on a public forum then that is disconcerting.

The crank pulley is probably not keyed, so the crank and the cams have to be locked in place to keep the timing position as a reference. The pulley can be put back in properly this way. Technically one does not have to do this because everything can be properly timed again no matter how much the cams and the crankshaft position was messed up. Locking everything in the proper position simply saves extra work and time.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Doesn't a dealer have any kind of online support available for these kind of thing? Don't they have a service manual or something available for their dealer techs?

If a dealer has to resort to asking question on a public forum then that is disconcerting.

We have a service manual from ford but it's all online I prefer a book. I've never done one so a service manual is less help than say if someone you can talk to has actually done the job. The focus has been lime this for several years apparently I've just never had to tear into one.

if the place you work at is that bad maybe take it to a better dealer? Maybe the other tech is just messing with you? You seem to be hover parenting the car.

ram_man:

Let me know how it goes because I may have the same issue..(I have to add a few ounces of oil a couple of times between 5k changes to keep it at the top of the line.) I'll check for seepage the next time I remove the shield to change the oil.

I know that you cited using only a few ounces of oil in a previous post....Ford might call that 'normal' and not allow it under warranty.

Originally Posted By: pbm
ram_man:

Let me know how it goes because I may have the same issue..(I have to add a few ounces of oil a couple of times between 5k changes to keep it at the top of the line.) I'll check for seepage the next time I remove the shield to change the oil.

I know that you cited using only a few ounces of oil in a previous post....Ford might call that 'normal' and not allow it under warranty.

If you have a front cover leak they'll fix it without question

Originally Posted By: Rand
if the place you work at is that bad maybe take it to a better dealer? Maybe the other tech is just messing with you? You seem to be hover parenting the car.

Not to sound rude but you clearly aren't familiar with dealer loyalty. If I took it to another dealer I'd lose my job not a doubt in my mind. Also I trust the guy who's doing it he's never done one he is normally our transmission tech but I wanted him to do the job because his attention to detail is incredible and he takes pride in his work. Also my dealer where I work isn't bad at all. We are like every other dealer none of them have all the special tools none of them are flawless.

I took a few pictures today thought you guys would appreciate pictures

2s8lbhu.jpg

fvekc7.jpg

e88zf7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back