15k OCI interval, thoughts 2004 Honda Accord k24a4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to run a 15k OCI on my 2004 Accord, M1 0w-20 EP, Fram Ultra, 121k miles on the car, I've had it since 120k miles and don't know the history, roughly 80% highway, will do a UOA after, thoughts? I'm going to clean the sucker out.

I think that is stretching it. I would go for 10K and do an analysis and go from there after your short run.

By the way, I'm 1200 miles or so into this OCI and there hasn't been any oil consumption yet on the M1 0w20 EP

Last edited:
It's possible but I wouldn't do it without a UOA at 10k to see how it's doing.

Usually the people whom can do 15k+ oci are doing 100-150+ miles per day.

I drive mostly highway and the first time I ran M1 0w30, I took it out to 5k miles and did a UOA on it, and I'm glad I did b/c Blackstone said I could take it to 8k miles.

Now granted every engine beats up oil differently, however I give warning running it out to 15k miles. A safe way to do it is to take it out to 5k-6k and get it tested, you dont even have to dump all the oil out of the pan, you just need about a quarter of a soda cans worth of oil to get it tested.

I know if it were my vehicle I wouldnt run it to 15k or even 10k blindly. Just my 2 cents.

Sure, give it a try just not quite yet. You don't know the history so you need to do a 5K oil change, have that analyzed if you so desire. Then jump to 7500 also with a UOA (used oil analysis) if you so desire. Then jump to a 10K OCI and DO have this analyzed. If the 10K OCI looks good, then go to 15K with the M1 EP 0w20 and the Fram Ultra. Disclaimer, if the OLM (oil life monitor) triggers, then all bets are off, change the oil.

The ultra should have no problem with 15k, I've a few that looked perfect at that mileage.
But I'd lean towards a UOA as mentioned first oci.

You are probably fine as long as you don't do a lot of short trips and the car is not DI.
A uoa at 10 is a good idea, if nothing else it give you piece of mind that everything is fine.

Last edited:
I would advise against simply jumping into a 15k mile OCI on a vehicle with questionable history. I wouldn't do it myself, and I'd advise against it, but do what you think is right.

In fact, go get two more 5-quart bottles of M1 0w-20 EP and two Fram Ultra filters, then claim the $28 in rebates currently available on them. If the engine doesn't grenade on you, then you'll have another 30k miles worth of oil and filters, and the $28 you get back in rebates will pay for another UOA.

But I wish to repeat, I advise against jumping into a 15k mile OCI on a vehicle you don't know the history of, and haven't done a UOA on to gauge how far it can go on an OCI.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I would go for 10K and do an analysis and go from there after your short run.

Only on BITOG would a 10k OCI be considered a "short run".
thumbsup2.gif

But I agree with the opinion. A would not do a long OCI at first, only after UOA data supports extending the interval.

The Fram Ultra can handle all you throw at it, easily handle your 1 year oci at 80 miles a day 5 days a week, but the oil needs to be tested. If you do 20k a year I'd just dump it twice a year unless you want to go the UOA route. The K24 is fairly easy on oil, so 15k is totally possible with M1 EP if you have data today back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back