Quick PP Noack question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the website, digging through data sheets, and found that 10w30 is 4.7% which is a good reason for me to pay 50cents more a qt for PP rather than M1 I'm using now. Kept digging through stuff and another data sheet states 9.7% for the same 10w30, as well as the rest of the lineup is carrying ugly number (14 vs 8 and so on).

Has there been a third party test to prove the claims? Pqi is usually a good resource, but all I find is 5w's.

High

Low

Last edited:
One TDS is for non-GTL PP from 2009. The other one is GTL, with the more recent PurePlus technology.

I would go with the company's data sheets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I was on the website, digging through data sheets, and found that 10w30 is 4.7% which is a good reason for me to pay 50cents more a qt for PP rather than M1 I'm using now. Kept digging through stuff and another data sheet states 9.7% for the same 10w30, as well as the rest of the lineup is carrying ugly number (14 vs 8 and so on).

Has there been a third party test to prove the claims? Pqi is usually a good resource, but all I find is 5w's.

High

Low

Hi Dyusik - Please make sure that you are looking at the most recent Technical Data Sheet, as a lot of them changed with the new formulation Platinum products – Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum now contain the first of its kind, full synthetic “Gas to Liquids” pure base oil. Regardless of which Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 product you're referring to, please rest assured that both full synthetic products far exceed the industry requirements for NOACK, which is 15% or lower, as per API SN industry standards.

There is much more to motor oil than just a volatility number. As Pennzoil responds to technology trends, the exact balance of properties can change while remaining within and exceeding the general industry requirements. The first of their kind, synthesized “Gas to Liquids” PurePlus base oils that are made by the GTL process have been specifically designed to enable the blending of low NOACK formulations for current and future viscosity grades. In fact, there is a trend to move to thinner viscosities which, without innovative leading technology such as GTL, could present difficulties in meeting requirements such as 15% NOACK. It should also be noted that NOACK varies with SAE grade due to the different formulation shapes required to formulate the different viscometric properties of each grade (for example: changes in the balance of base oil and viscosity modifier used, etc.).

Hope this is helpful! - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back