The end for Clarkson / Top Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Jeremy is betting on his familiarity and wit, to keep him on the show. How many slaps on the wrist will it take? Not sure.

I wish Fifth Gear were as popular. I'd like to see both shows weekly.

I wonder if and how Fox News is reporting this!

The show must go on. Clarkson, Hammond and May are great.

As long as May doesn't get sacked, we can always watch James May's Toy stories. I remember with great fondness the episode in which he has a company make a 1:1 scale replica of a Spitfire Airfix model kit, and a group of schoolkids build the giant kit.

hotwheels

Apparently he punched someone. 2 more shows have been postponed.

What will happen next? Who knows. But I think this will divide the nation and the UK will never be the same.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Apparently he punched someone. 2 more shows have been postponed.

What will happen next? Who knows. But I think this will divide the nation and the UK will never be the same.

Let me put some meat on those bare bones: I don't know if this story is true. It could be just an effort to besmirch Jeremy Clarkson. I will reserve judgement until I have read more about this case from other media sources than the BBC, which I strongly suspect to be an agenda-driven media outlet.

hotwheels

Exactly. As good as May and Hammond are, Clarkson is the big, brash, i'm going to say what i want, persona that makes the show as interesting to watch as it is.

I watched the Clarkson episode of "Who Do You Think You Are" the other night and he made the same type of brash comments and jokes. That's just how he is.

All the uptight PC morons in the world want boring vanilla so that nobodys feeling are hurt. F THEM.

If Mori can come back twice and pat himself on the back with his other ego, Clarkson can return after a weekend sensitivity retreat.

BBC isn't the only game in town. Even if Clarkson is not back on the BBC, who is to say he won't be back via some other media outlet?

Wouldn't Rupert Murdoch and News Corp love to pick him up?

Even if the BBC is dumb enough to let him go, I can't imagine he'd be unemployed more than a nanosecond.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Any examples of him being racist?

It's rather inconclusive at this stage.

Racism is implied on his part, but it doesn't appear to be clearly evident.
That's where he's borderline outrageous and controversial but not quite racist by any legal definition.
Of course if one is inclined to be hyper sensitive to these things, it's possible to find racism under every rock if you look hard enough.
He's not the only one that walks the line. The Hamster had a hand in the scene on the Vietnam special but hasn't drawn any criticism for his part in it. They clearly loved doing it and had a bit of fun as it was largely scripted.
That makes me think there's a bit of a culture on the show to stir the pot where ever they think they can get away with it as it's the last of the great Pommy humour.

Apparently he was on his final warning up until this latest incident where he's allegedly gone the biff with a producer.
If that's the case, I hope he dished it out in a justified manner.
Either way, they will beat it up to justify their actions that they will take against him.

I anticipate the BBC and politics is bigger than Clarkson, so they will cut him loose if they can.
They will try to replace him, but it seems inconceivable to me they will succeed in that endeavour.
It will be a managed decline for the Top Gear show going forward.

Clarkson has made his money, got to drive some amazing stuff and he's had an awful lot of fun. The show has also grown larger than they have ever imagined on a shoe string budget.
If they cut him loose and he goes away into retirement then good luck to him.
He will remain a celebrity where ever he goes.

IMO, Top gear went down hill in this country(as predicted by many), when channel 9 got their hands on it.
The dynamics between the 3 presenters is priceless.
Thanks for the laughs lads.

Last edited:
The best part about Top Gear UK is the interaction between Clarkson, Hammond, and May. The first season without Hammond was not great, much like the first season of Top Gear USA. TGUSA pales in comparison to TGUK, partially due to the hosts and the balance due to the show not having to appease sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back