Firestone Destination LE2 Any problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok...first post EVER, ANYWHERE!!!
Yeah, a little excited about it, I won't lie...
I love reading these things, though and have for years. Thank every single one of you who has answered questions that I didn't even know I needed the answer to! I've definitely learned a lot about, well, a lot. thanks

here goes... frustration on top of frustration...
March of last year (2014) I purchased new tires all around for my 08 Nissan Pathfinder LE. After months, and i mean MONTHS of deliberation and research I decided on the Firestone Destination LE2. 265/65/17.
Ugh... within a couple of days the pressure was noticeably dropping in at least two tires visibly and the other two they dropped by 3 or 4 pounds by gauge.
Took it back to the Firestone garage and they "checked" the tires... I asked for new valve stems, i think. The tires have NEVER held air for long, especially the left rear. Over three or four days the pressure drops to 22 ish. It did go down to 12 over the winter. Every time I would check it, it would be lower bit by bit. The other three would drop to the mid to low twenties. I was putting air in the one tire every other day or so when i would drive...the remaining three about once a week or so.
I've had the stems replaced again, another valve thingy on all four(it's pouring out and I don't want to go out to get the paperwork for "thingy" definition right now)and Low pressure tire sensors replaced on all four.
I have 71k on the car and 2k since I got the tires last March. Last week the tires were ALL taken off and re-beaded (?)... I got the car back, drove 4 miles home and parked it for about three hours. When I went out the rear left was visibly lower (27 pounds on the gauge from 35 at the shop) and the sensors ALL blinked out (the * asterisk symbol in the tire pressure screen )
What the bejeezers is going on??? I only put about 4k miles per year on and I was HOPING that I wouldn't even have to LOOK at the tires but once a week or so like I usually check them (thanks, Dad, for that habit! :)).
ANY and all suggestions would be appreciated...I have been back to the shop about 6 times since I got the tires and have spoken to them about two dozen times since then to keep them up on the situation. I've had several back surgeries so it's hard for me to keep popping down to the shop to hang around for them to check it every time the tires are low... *sigh
Thanks for any advice!!

Hi,
I have same model tires on my truck in 20 inch rims. Proper installation is as important, or more so, than the tire.

This is especially true if you have aluminum rims/wheels. Aluminum rims/wheels must be prepared properly for the tire bead to seal the air in - they are notoriously more sensitive than steel rims/wheels.

It has been my experience that Firestone shops are spotty on capability. I normally have this work done at the vehicle dealership where I know it will be done correctly.

I suggest you go to your vehicle dealer, pay for re-mounting, then get the Firestone store to pay for the re-mounting charge.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Next time buy Michelins. I lost interest in Firestone tires when the Firestone 500 debacle happened in about 1978/79.
I don't think that addresses the problem with the rims not being properly prepared before tire mounting so that the bead seal does not leak.

LubriO... thanks for that idea... the tires have been mounted a total of three times so far at Firestone. I've asked the owner (I usually speak to him...he doesn't treat me equal to my bra size)... Anyhoo, I just read a thread about the production age of a tire and lifespan... the LEs are fairly new, yes? I think I'll brave the downpour and check out the date if I can find it. thanks again!
I've never heard of tires that KEEP going low...especially new ones. I'll probably end up at the dealership anyway... just looking for ideas

Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess
Hi,
I have same model tires on my truck in 20 inch rims. Proper installation is as important, or more so, than the tire.

This is especially true if you have aluminum rims/wheels. Aluminum rims/wheels must be prepared properly for the tire bead to seal the air in - they are notoriously more sensitive than steel rims/wheels.

It has been my experience that Firestone shops are spotty on capability. I normally have this work done at the vehicle dealership where I know it will be done correctly.

I suggest you go to your vehicle dealer, pay for re-mounting, then get the Firestone store to pay for the re-mounting charge.

Hope this helps.

LubriO... thanks for that idea... the tires have been mounted a total of three times so far at Firestone. I've asked the owner (I usually speak to him...he doesn't treat me equal to my bra size)... Anyhoo, I just read a thread about the production age of a tire and lifespan... the LEs are fairly new, yes? I think I'll brave the downpour and check out the date if I can find it. thanks again!
I've never heard of tires that KEEP going low...especially new ones. I'll probably end up at the dealership anyway... just looking for ideas

Something is wrong somewhere. It's definitely not normal to lose psi that quickly. It is also not very likely you have 4 bad tires at once. I have aluminum wheels on my truck and am on my second set of Destination LE's and have not had a single problem with any of my tires. It might be a good idea to have a different Firestone shop check your tires and installation.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Something is wrong somewhere. It's definitely not normal to lose psi that quickly. It is also not very likely you have 4 bad tires at once. I have aluminum wheels on my truck and am on my second set of Destination LE's and have not had a single problem with any of my tires. It might be a good idea to have a different Firestone shop check your tires and installation.

thanks, jimmy, I know I need to go somewhere else ...just tired of spending and spending and spending...
You'd think after the SECOND installation that they'd get it right/corrected, let alone THREE. I agree about the likelihood of four bad tires: practically nil.

Thinking more widely now... wonder if the wheels have some kind of damage? I bought the car four years ago with 55K and have 71K now. Just got the tires around 2k miles ago.

Originally Posted By: kathyk

Well, most professional shops prepare aluminum wheel rims by sanding and/or wire wheel brushing them first, then apply a generous amount of sealant/lubricant prior to even attempting to mount a tire.

And, sorry to mention this, some wheel rims are not salvagable & require replacement with new tires. I have not had that happen yet, but I get my truck washed frequently up here in the land of cold, snow, & salt.

LE's are not new - been around decades. Even the current variant LE2 has been around about 5 years. The highest rated all season tire on TireRack.com. So no, it is not the tire unless you got a very rare lemon set. I doubt that highly. All signs point to the installer and/or wheel condition.

Last edited:
Next time buy Michelins. I lost interest in Firestone tires when the Firestone 500 debacle happened in about 1978/79.

Wow - I remember that! I also remember the exploding Firestone tire debacle on Ford Explorers, and the finger-pointing between Firestone & Ford. I don't remember washing clothes on a wash board, though, these events are all in the past. Bridgestone has since bought out Firestone & brought some quality discipline back to the product line.

Firestone LE2 is highest rated all season tire on TireRack.com. Read consumer reviews.

A good technician can check the wheels for damage or being out of specs, bent or other problems. I doubt you have wheel problems. If you did it would have made it very difficult to balance the new tires. You also would have had problems with the old tires too. On the new tires if you see more than one wheel weight on one side or the other of the wheel or if there is a lot of weight used on the wheel (like more than 1.5 to 2 ounces) it usually means either the balancing machine is out of specs or the technician did a bad job of mounting and balancing the new tires. I am guessing you have a workmanship issue not a tire or wheel issue.

I have the LE2s on my Expedition. Love them. Have not had any issues. I'm typically a Michelin man but the price was too good on these as compared to the differences in reviews between the Michelin and Firestone tire, if that makes sense.

robert

Yeah, I base all my current decisions on what products were like in 1978.

That's why I only buy Oldsmobile! Best quality, nicest features, that's why it's the best selling car in the US!!

Back to the OP's question, the LE2 is a good tire, sounds like yours were mounted poorly...

Yeah, I too think is the Firestone shop not doing a proper job.
Now, you can do 1 or all of 3 things!

1) Go to a different Firestone and let then try to solv the issues and/or,

2) ask for new tires if they can't prove that it's your wheels that aer cauing the air leaks and,

3) contact corporate!

Last edited:
agree--- but I will add something here-- I have 25,000+ on a set of LE2s and by all means they have been a great tire.

However--- due to getting hit in the wheel a little more than a year ago, insurance installed a new LE2 -- so 3 are 3 years old and 1 is about a year. That one newer tire has to be aired up every 3 weeks. I haven't noticed a nail in it, but haven't tried to to exhaustively inspect either. could there be a short run of a bad batch?

Firestone shops are some kind of franchise and I would guess the quality and experience of the technicians is likely to vary at some stores.

Aluminum wheels can leak from cracks, etc. If you hit things (curbs, center medians, huge potholes) you can damage them. I like steel wheels, but it might be hard to find good steel wheels for a Nissan.

I bought a set of Firestones for a vehicle once and they were perfectly ok, in fact those particular ones were better than the higher priced set they replaced. So they can't be all bad. come to think of it, I can't recall hearing about any brand of tires losing air pressure due to some defect. They put the rubber in molds and it comes out pretty smooth and generally non-permeable by nature.

Maybe not seated on the rims, or bad rims.

Originally Posted By: meep
agree--- but I will add something here-- I have 25,000+ on a set of LE2s and by all means they have been a great tire.

However--- due to getting hit in the wheel a little more than a year ago, insurance installed a new LE2 -- so 3 are 3 years old and 1 is about a year. That one newer tire has to be aired up every 3 weeks. I haven't noticed a nail in it, but haven't tried to to exhaustively inspect either. could there be a short run of a bad batch?

Insurance installed a new tire but on the old rim?

Originally Posted By: kathyk
I know I need to go somewhere else ...just tired of spending and spending and spending...

Why are they making you pay to have them look at your brand new tires that don't hold air?

First thing to do would be spray them down all around the beads and valve stem with soapy water to determine where they are leaking. Unless the wheels are chrome, the bead seats can be cleaned with a wire wheel, or sanded until smooth and clean. A new tire should seal perfectly on a clean wheel. Never have seen bead sealer used on a new car, but so many tire techs glob so much on the wheel and tire that is actually causes them to leak. NEVER, EVER use bead sealer on a clean bead seat,and new tire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back