Fumoto drain valve particles left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
no problemo, Mori.

When I removed an oil pan for servicing in a very high mileage service van I found almost 1/8 inch of fine sludge on the bottom like paste. This was due to the lack of a complete drain in our application. Our trucks are maintained in house and we routinely rebuild our own engines as we have a machine shop in the family. It is common to pull the pan at around 200k miles to check out the contents, they can be very illuminating.

Does this include the GM 5.3L in the Silverado?

no problemo, Mori.

Yep.
crackmeup2.gif

This obsession with Mori is a little
crazy.gif

And I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Now, I'm interested in learning from Steve how he determined an oil pan was suitable for a Fumoto for the two that he ended up installing them in.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
crazy.gif

Don't get you knickers in a wad.
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: aa1986
crazy.gif

Don't get you knickers in a wad.
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Here we go again............lolol

Back to the original topic. I wouldn't use a Fomoto valve. Your pics and SteveSRT8 comments are in line with my reasoning for not using them. Too much oil can be left behind, no thanks.

Had been considering getting some Fumoto Valves for my fleet. After reading this thread I decided against buying them. Too many people with incomplete draining issues. Thanks to them for posting. However, my favorite post was:

"Fumoto valve is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist."

Thank you as well for that post. Kind of reminds me of my opinion about oil catch cans.

Whether you get complete draining or not depends mainly on the drain hole positioning.

For one of my applications, it looks like I'll be able to use a Fumoto just as Steve was able to on 2 of his vehicles.

Like I said, I'm interested to hear from him how he figured out they were ok to use.

For me it'll be simple. I'll drain the vehicle with the valve, then remove the valve and see how much more comes out, if any.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I hate to post this, the fan boys went crazy last time. LOL

Don't worry, I'm a fan who won't take you to task.
wink.gif
Had my testing shown that my Fumoto left oil behind, I would have panicked and yanked the thing!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
no problemo, Mori.

When I removed an oil pan for servicing in a very high mileage service van I found almost 1/8 inch of fine sludge on the bottom like paste. This was due to the lack of a complete drain in our application. Our trucks are maintained in house and we routinely rebuild our own engines as we have a machine shop in the family. It is common to pull the pan at around 200k miles to check out the contents, they can be very illuminating.

It includes all the GM V8's. They all have the cast aluminum pans with the drain plugs at the rear...

Don't put any gimmick additives in your oil. Don't pee in your oil. The list goes on.
Top-Down oil change is the only way for certain BMW and Mercedes vehicles. It may leave a few table spoons of oil as well. Has anybody done any careful evaluation on those?

Actually I was going to install a valve on my kid's Honda 1.8L because the drain bolt is a PITA to reach. But I tried using my motive fluid extractor down the dipstick hole and it got out about 1/3 quart more oil than usually drains out by gravity.
confused2.gif
so that is my method now. Get the oil hot and suction it out. After doing that the first time I removed the drain bolt to see if there was any oil left behind and there was zero. Not a drop. So now the oil change in that engine is 4.3 quarts versus the 4.0 before.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
no problemo, Mori.

It includes all the GM V8's. They all have the cast aluminum pans with the drain plugs at the rear...

Thats like the one i posted, on an angle at the rear of the pan, although that one is metal.
Its works good in my generator though, the drain is low and it gets all the oil out, it does make the job much easier than fiddling around with the drain plug.
There is no chance of hitting it going down the road hanging down like that, on a car it would be real sketchy.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I see people make statements about "complete draining" alot, so let's break a little news here.

First of all, most vehicles do not have the drain plug in a position to completely drain the oil pan. I have removed plenty, after allowing the pan to drain for an hour or more while I was doing something else, to find that there were still several ounces left over in the pan. The necessity for reinforcement around the thread area means that most pan's drain holes are slightly above the floor of the oil pan.

If your engine has an oil cooler, you have no chance at getting a complete drain, either.

I have EZ valves on my vehicles, and love them to death.

There's nothing I dislike about changing oil more than that point where the drain plug is about to release, and the oil just starts gushing out onto my (gloved) hand. With my valves, I just connect a hose down into my 58 quart oil pan, and let it go. There's nothing to clean up. Makes gathering UOA oil a lot easier as well.

I drain 3 gallons out of my Ram, and it doesn't take very long at all. I don't have to monitor it, so it doesn't bother me at all.

That's the worst, when the plug is about to release. I always find a way to make a mess, even if small, or drop the plug into the oil container.

Originally Posted by buster
That's the worst, when the plug is about to release. I always find a way to make a mess, even if small, or drop the plug into the oil container.

I always adored throwing the drain plug into the drain pain, which is why I enjoy the Fumotos. Oh well, I'm still quite capable of spiking the oil filter into the drain pan if I'm not sure I have a big enough mess. As for the new SX version, I'll probably be trying one down the road on whatever vehicle I get next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back