Why I own AWD Suv

Status
Not open for further replies.
This driveway at our winter getaway had to get plowed by backhoe as it was up to mirrors. It drifts like crazy due to open fields and the max I can pass thru is about 2'+ with my 07 MDX w/SH-AWD. Prior to this is a 600' elevation climb over 1 mile.

This tests out AWD systems and many fail in the deep snow.

I can see the baby seals being clubbed to feed your suv addiction... oh you horrible person you!

I haven't seen as many turkeys lately, a couple years ago we were awash with them.

Im starting to slow down on the frost heaves. I'm concerned about dragging an oil pan. Its getting rough out there. A couple years ago I was about to trade as the last mile to my house had me scrapping my car in the paved ruts. Luckily the road got fixed.

I went on a trip last week. Me, wife and kids filled the trunk in our Camry. We picked up my MIL, and they wanted to use her 2003 CRV for the last leg to the airport. I forgot how big the rear was. Our full Camry trunk plus MIL suitcase and carry on easily fit into the back with room to spare. Oh, and her AWD CRV with snow tires for the 50 plus mile trip to the airport, vs our Camry with AS, in the freshly fallen snow.... hmmm. No complaints on my end, as the driver, the crv was clearly easier to drive in the snow.

I drive too much for a crossover, but it definitely has crossed my mind more than a few times.

Yes the turkeys typical greet us when we arrive.

Frost heaves are much better in the MDX/higher clearance as it soaks the bumps quite well, I don't slow down. The roads are a disaster nearby.

We have three kids across the back seat so it was minivan or crossover. The AWD in Sienna is a joke and FWD minivans/winters still struggle when that drifts in. Plowing is difficult up there as it simply will drift back in within hours.

We also have a Legacy wagon which claw its way thru however in mud season drags its belly in that driveway and 2 miles of gravel roads proceeding. The Legacy cannot carry all our stuff up(snow shoes, alpine and xc skis, and weekend stuff, baby gear). Barely fits in MDX.

that is the reason i have them also i think thats the reason most have them. so far my 2011 Hyundai Santa fe is the best in the snow next to my now gone range rover (total money pit) the 2011 santa fe is higher than some of the others and the awd works nice.

My drive way is a 1500' gravel farm road; after the 1994 storm which literally snowed us in for six days I swore I'd never be without an SUV with serious off road capability. I bought a 1993 Pathfinder that summer and replaced it with a 1999 Wrangler Sahara in 2002.I hope it's carbon footprint continues to warm the climate; February was too bloody cold!

Last Week my neighbor was stuck in her 'own' driveway.
Level concrete and she was stuck.

I went over to help shovel around the tires and asked,
"is this front or rear drive ? ? ?"

she said "all wheel drive".

I thought, WOW, stuck in your own driveway with 4 wheel drive.

Apparently from the looks of it, she was not a driveway shoveler.

To explain to others how this could happen;
1) Stop on packed snow
2) Bad thread on tires
3) Spin tires so they cause tires to sink

I have a 4x4 SUV. On snow tires. I use it when we get feet of snow. Otherwise I stick to the front drive car with snow tires.

I was reminded just how good of a decision I made when I got FWD and spent $400 on snow tires, instead of spending $10K extra on AWD, when I passed 2 AWD SUVs and a 4x4 pickup that couldn't get up a hill last weekend.

Sure there was some spinning. The only real issues I've had with the Focus are high from deep snow (that's where the lifted jeep comes in - a CX5, for example, wouldn't have made it through) and when I'm blasting through snow up to the bumper the grilles get plugged and the car overheats.

You do realize that most AWD like most FWD cars come with the bottom rung all-seasons.

If the AWD person spent money of snows like you did it wouldn't even be a contest.

Saying that I applaud your effort to not be a roadblock like most are who buy the cheapest tire Walmart/Pepboys/Firestone offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back