Hate/Racism/Bigotry on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop it, seriously...

Just about every thread that has any inkling of politics/religion goes right down that path. Arrogant tones that do nothing to promote the goodwill and nature we should all feel for one another. Many members who shall not be named do it a lot regarding any mention of foreign nationals or differing political view.

I am not asking for a "Heal the world" or "Kumbaya" type of revival but taking it down a notch seriously isn't a bad idea. We are supposed to be a "family" site and as such I've embraced avoiding the censor even be used.

Food for thought...

I have not seen the extremes that you mention in your subject line (does not mean it is not here), but there is always bantering about topics here and that is the nature of a board like this as long as they do not get out of hand.

However, there is not supposed to be any politics or religion here either and if that rule is followed, might there be a whole lot less of what you speak?

I've never seen the extreme but it flirts that line a lot.

As far as politics & religion, yes they always inflame the situation to that point and I agree. Bans for constantly bringing those up would not be a bad idea.

Bans? Really? Flirts what line? YOUR line? How about posting about what this board is about and leave the rest to the people in charge....Many members"? Hit ignore user and be done with it. That is what that feature if for...otherwise IMO what you are suggesting is far worse than most anything I have seen posted on this board.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Bans? Really? Flirts what line? YOUR line? How about posting about what this board is about and leave the rest to the people in charge....otherwise IMO what you are suggesting is far worse than most anything I have seen posted on this board. Many members"? Hit ignore user and be done with it. That is what that feature if for

The extremism line, that line and in some discussions it got close. If it is a banned topic ignore is not needed. Actions should have consequences. If anything I'll make it easier for the people in charge. ZERO TOLERANCE you want that discussion go somewhere else.

Again...extremism according to your political views? No thank you. Why the need for you to be the PC monitor on this board?Ignore those who offend you. Report them if you wish and let the people in charge run this board as they have done so well all these years. Frankly I find your comments and innuendos offensive.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'd like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company......

I always liked that song.

Heck yes!! The New Seekers (love that band!).

I think I see...Your ZERO TOLERANCE...this applies to violation of BITOG's rules on R/S/P....or to other's viewpoints that differ from your own?

When someone disagrees with you on a political topic, it must be because they're a racist, bigoted hater...is that about it?

Because, frankly, I see a diversity of viewpoints on this site, and they're all kept pretty civil by the mods, which is why I keep frequenting BITOG. I see none of what you claim is happening...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think I see...Your ZERO TOLERANCE...this applies to violation of BITOG's rules on R/S/P....or to other's viewpoints that differ from your own?

When someone disagrees with you on a political topic, it must be because they're a racist, bigoted hater...is that about it?

Because, frankly, I see a diversity of viewpoints on this site, and they're all kept pretty civil by the mods, which is why I keep frequenting BITOG. I see none of what you claim is happening...

+1

Originally Posted By: 02SE

+1
+2

Really? I don't see it at all.

I have Jewish ancestry on my Father's side, and my daughter isn't even white.

And I am a very white looking guy.

BITOG has never offended me even once, in any manner at all.

And, sometimes being offended allows for a great discussion.

Also, it is really against their rules here.

I got a stern warning once for skirting the censor by spelling donkey with two fives.

Shucks, I'll probably get another warning!

Very family friendly site, tons of family people on this site, I love it.

I have never seen that. A little bit of banter but not anything that I would class as what the OP is describing. Anything like that and I would expect that the moderators would step in quite quickly. Have I missed something?

Um, I don't see it.

I do come here to get info on oil.
And I get it. And more.

"Definitely use Mobil 1"
"Whatever you do, do NOT use Mobil 1"
(That's about the worst I've seen here.)

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: 02SE

+1
+2

+eleventy billion!

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Stop it, seriously...

Just about every thread that has any inkling of politics/religion goes right down that path. Arrogant tones that do nothing to promote the goodwill and nature we should all feel for one another. Many members who shall not be named do it a lot regarding any mention of foreign nationals or differing political view.

I am not asking for a "Heal the world" or "Kumbaya" type of revival but taking it down a notch seriously isn't a bad idea. We are supposed to be a "family" site and as such I've embraced avoiding the censor even be used.

Food for thought...

I'm a pinko commie and hug trees daily (how these yokal right-wing-nuts see us moderates)
28.gif
The guys on here are very conservative, but I don't see what you see, apparently.

My views have nothing to do with it. It shouldn't be up for debate.

If you mention politics/religion it should be an instant vacation and some topics drag on for faaar to long and then you get the Hate/Racism/Bigotry when it reality it never should have started. Even in the slightest degree it slanders us all.

You can say I am imagining things but it isn't hard to figure out what people really mean when they phrase comments a certain way in a political/religious discussion.

I guess my point is it should not get past post #2 because we all know where it is headed.

A recent thread was not "civil" by any means...

Last edited:
Those who can't mount a sturdy defense for their positions often resort to name calling, usually of the sort you mention. It's become common practice here and in the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back