Leonard Nimoy Passes Away at 83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nimoy's signature and hand impression are outside the former Grauman's/Mann's now TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. I snapped a picture just last month. Nimoy had very large hands with long fingers, probably to better apply the Vulcan nerve pinch.

hotwheels

coolness-you-may-be-cool-but-youll-never-be-spock-leaning-on-a-riviera-cool.jpg

I grew up watching the original Star Trek. Spock was my favorite character. He will be greatly missed.

LLAP

I met him several times and attended the dedication ceremony for his star on Hollywood Blvd in 1985.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
While I've mourned the passing of other Trek icons, Nimoy's death really drives home the fact that it is the end of an era

Fully agree; on this day, the earth is a little dimmer, but the stars are a little brighter. For me, it serves as a humble reminder each time one of the actors who I grew up with passes away.

That's sad news. He was also on several episodes of Sea Hunt, as a different character each time. For those who get the METV channel, they just announced that this Sunday night they will play episodes of various TV series with Leonard Nimoy.

Watched Star Trek III: The Search for Spock last night.

RIP Mr. Nimoy. We will forever appreciate your work.

MOST actors never get beyond the point of background and/or character roles. Knowing Nimoy's history and having seen some of his solo stuff (The one man show "Vincent" comes to mind.) I can say he had some range. But, commercial success and remaining in the collective consciousness post mortem, to me, signifies pretty decent success.

I was very impressed with Leonard Nimoy's acting in Star Trek. To me, he was a far more impressive actor than any of the others.

And he seemed more like he should have been the captain than Captain Kirk. He seemed more professional. Captain Kirk seemed more like a junior officer.

I always enjoyed Star Trek as a show that presented the future as an interesting place, a place one would want to go to. It wasn't some dark view of the future. There's a good story about how Nichelle Nichols ended up on the show. It was amusing (in a good way) that a Scottsman was the ship's engineer. And in the depths of the Cold War, they had a Russian at the helm! But the "Spock" character, that had to be created, and Leonard Nemoy did an admirable job portraying how this race of aliens would carry themselves. Logical, a lack of outward emotions, but the emotions were there, just buried so, so, deep. He created the template for all the other "Vulcans" to conform to. Leonard Nimoy was part of a crew that had an amazing and positive impact on many of us. And even though his race was logical, I always enjoyed the little "jab" he got in on Bones .

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I always enjoyed Star Trek as a show that presented the future as an interesting place, a place one would want to go to. It wasn't some dark view of the future. There's a good story about how Nichelle Nichols ended up on the show. It was amusing (in a good way) that a Scottsman was the ship's engineer. And in the depths of the Cold War, they had a Russian at the helm! But the "Spock" character, that had to be created, and Leonard Nemoy did an admirable job portraying how this race of aliens would carry themselves. Logical, a lack of outward emotions, but the emotions were there, just buried so, so, deep. He created the template for all the other "Vulcans" to conform to. Leonard Nimoy was part of a crew that had an amazing and positive impact on many of us. And even though his race was logical, I always enjoyed the little "jab" he got in on Bones .

Spock was half Vulcan, half human. He was rather conflicted about his emotions much of the time, and his uncontrolled emotions cost him the captain's chair in 2009's Star Trek, when he surrendered command to Kirk, who had driven Spock to almost murder Kirk in a fit of rage. With Spock, his emotions may be rather a liability, because he is used to opressing and rather awkward at handling them. The older Spock seems much more comfortable with his emotions compared to the younger Spock, who is almost exclusively logic-driven. With Kirk, his emotions make him stronger. since they power his spirit. His drive, measured recklessness and disdain for regulations is what enables him to to turn almost certain death scenarios into a chance for survival for himself and his crew. That's what makes Kirk such a great captain, but also someone who needs people like Spock and Bones around for balance.

hotwheels

I thought the poem he posted on Twitter was beautiful

Feb. 22, Nimoy shared a poem from his book “These Words Are for You” titled “You and I have Learned.”

You and I
have learned
The song of love,
and we sing it well
The song is ageless
Passed on
Heart to heart
By those
Who have seen
What we see
And known
What we know
And lovers who have
Sung before
Our love is ours
To have
And
To share
The miracle is this
The more we share…
The more
We have
-Leonard Nimoy

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Spock was half Vulcan, half human. He was rather conflicted about his emotions much of the time, and his uncontrolled emotions cost him the captain's chair in 2009's Star Trek, when he surrendered command to Kirk, who had driven Spock to almost murder Kirk in a fit of rage. With Spock, his emotions may be rather a liability, because he is used to opressing and rather awkward at handling them. The older Spock seems much more comfortable with his emotions compared to the younger Spock, who is almost exclusively logic-driven. With Kirk, his emotions make him stronger. since they power his spirit. His drive, measured recklessness and disdain for regulations is what enables him to to turn almost certain death scenarios into a chance for survival for himself and his crew. That's what makes Kirk such a great captain, but also someone who needs people like Spock and Bones around for balance.

hotwheels

I think that as Spock aged, he began to distinguish between positive emotions and negative ones rather than apply the blanket rule that Vulcans had implemented (to survive) that all emotions must be suppressed.

My recollection of TOS is that he attempted to be Vulcan, and as he progressed through the movies he became more accepting of his human side.

All the while though, he, and other Vulcans, were subconsciously acting with emotions and ultimately being affected by them. Just the act of suppressing emotions will affect how you act, project yourself and what results you get.

I think his character is ultimately a reflection on humans and their struggles with acting logically. Many people suppress their emotions as they navigate life or find ways to justify negative emotions and this can lead to outcomes that they are ultimately not happy with.

As such, it's an interesting interpretation to the tradition of the stoic hero like Brutus in Julius Caesar.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

RIP.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I was very impressed with Leonard Nimoy's acting in Star Trek. To me, he was a far more impressive actor than any of the others.

And he seemed more like he should have been the captain than Captain Kirk. He seemed more professional. Captain Kirk seemed more like a junior officer.

The later Kirk, perhaps yes, as William Shatner gave the character more and more humor (sometimes it worked well, sometimes not). But watch the first episodes filmed -- say, "Corbomite Maneuver," "Man Trap," or "Charlie X" -- and enjoy the seriousness and effectiveness of Shatner's Kirk. His Kirk was supposed to be the youngest officer ever promoted to starship captain (though Shatner was 36 when the show premiered!). So it worked well, especially in the early days.

But yes, Nimoy's Spock was never less than professional (except when the character was out of his mind or something like that). Perfect case: Watch how he deals with the out-of-control Commodore Decker in "The Doomsday Machine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back