Bypass wizards check in, Cat 1R-0749

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dual remote oil filter system I plan to install on my 6.7 Cummins engine this spring. I saw a Cat Fuel filter 1R-0749 that filters down to 2 microns at I think about a 97+% efficiency. I have been thinking of using it for an oil filter instead. So, I am looking to see the thoughts as to why i should or shouldn't do this. Let the good times roll!
grin.gif

Isn't that a fuel filter you're trying to convert over?
Does it have a bypass relief? How are you going to protect the media directly, and engine indirectly?
Do you realize that, on the remote chance this ends poorly, Cat will not warrant anything even remotely touched by your zany application?

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

BTW - I moved your other thread about this very same topic; no need to discuss this in two places at once. You're asking about this as a bypass filter; your conversation belongs here and not elsewhere.

Last edited:
I researched this extensively when I made my own home made bypass system for my 98 Cummins as I did not want to use anything Am$oil and in all my searching found no other bypass filter that matched their efficiency ratings. I made the entire system myself using a modified Wix filter head, but ended up having to use the EA BP100. I went with a single remote bypass as I didn't really see a need for the double but if your 6.7 has all the factory emission equipment then a double wouldn't be a bad idea because the 07.5-12s do a stupid amount of EGR. Not sure how long you intend to extend your oil change intervals, but proceed with caution because the fuel dilution will be the limiting factor here and no bypass system will be able to help with that.

The reason I have a dual remote unit is because the 2014 ram 2500s received the stiffer frame and a cross member covers access to the oil filter. I planned on doing a remote unit for ease of access to the filter. I got such a good deal on a dual remote unit that I decided not to pass it up. The idea of using a fuel filter was based around the thought that, logically I didn't see what could go wrong catistrophically with the filter. So in doubt I decided to ask the question to see if anyone has ever done it. With the filter vertical, you would need an anti drain back valve. Only worry would be pressure relief. Diesel fuel has a tendency to gel in cold weather basically turning it to a very viscous fluid. So I am struggling to see were failure could occur. Thoughts? My other thread was asking generally if anyone has ever used a diesel fuel filter for an oil filter, similar, but trying to take advantage of a broader knowledge base on the board. Thanks for the replies, this is merely an idea. I will not put an $8k + engine in jeapordy for an experiment.

Last edited:
Just run a single remote bypass (Amsoil unit) and be done with it. Run their Diesel oil, or a Texas Refinery Corp Diesel oil, with a 15+ TBN.

Cold diesel fuel is not nearly under the same pressure as cold engine oil; the disparity is great.

Go for it; try it out. Report back how it works.
More importantly, make sure to identify and track what measurable criteria you're going to use to judge the success or failure of this adventure.

Just realize it's a risk.

I'm going to question and disagree with almost everything posted here. The OP states "I saw a Cat Fuel filter 1R-0749 that filters down to 2 microns at I think about a 97+% efficiency." Then he further states "I will not put an $8k + engine in jeapordy for an experiment."

So, If I've got this straight, you've got an $8K engine, but are really hesitant to pony up a few hundred dollars for a decent oil filter? And I understand Mr. dnewton has a bias against bypass filtration in the AUTOMOTIVE world, but is an $8K diesel engine really automotive? I realize there is no factual answer to that, only opinion. You do whatever makes you happy.

Then another poster doesn't like Amsoil but can't find anything else "that matched their efficiency ratings," and further states that "fuel dilution will be the limiting factor here and no bypass system will be able to help with that."

OK guys, class is now in session. NTZ filters are 99.97% efficient at 2 microns. http://ntzfilter.com/sect2a.asp Scroll down the page and click on "effective filtration." I just bought one and will be installing it shortly. They aren't real big in the US, I think their headquarters are in the Netherlands, the filter box I have states "Made in Holland." http://www.ntz-filter.com/Introduction These filters are patented. If you think there isn't much difference between 97% efficient and 99.97% efficient, then read this and get back to me: http://machinerylubrication.com/Read/564/filter-beta-ratios The difference is a beta value of 40 vs 400, or 100 times the filtration.

Switching channels, another manufacturer, Puradyn, offers a bypass filter system with a patented heating element that removes water, vapors, and 98% of fuel dilution: http://processfiltrationproducts.com/PuraDynHomePage.html

Cummins Diesel lists condemning limits of fuel dilution at 5% before it is considered an issue: http://www.oil-lab.com/downloads/Petroleum_Technologies.pdf See page 11 of 24.

There is a trucking company that has taken a fleet of 100 trucks for a million miles each truck WITHOUT an oil change using Puradyn filters: http://www.worktruckonline.com/channel/t...oil-change.aspx Puradyn is also the only bypass filter I know of that replenishes your oil additives to maintain your TBN, thus maintaining your tribochemical barrier against engine wear: http://www.puradyn.com/2-1-company-history/

You can also read SAE paper 2001-01-0699 which documents side-by-side comparisons of identical diesel engine(s) oil with and without bypass filtration. Which one do you think has better oil quality? I own this paper and have read it entirely, but SAE guards their copyrights pretty well and I don't know how to post a copy. Here is a synopsis of it: http://papers.sae.org/2001-01-0699/

I do agree with dnewton that this homemade system is a risk. Why Santa, why? The risk I see is NOT installing a decent bypass system; but I can only provide facts and information, I can't change your mind. Let the good times roll!

Last edited:
The question should be will I drive that vehicle with the $8000.00 engine to wear it out? Then what will the rest of the vehicle be road worthy?

I don't care if you drain the oil and drive it, but people who make their living on the road use bypass filtration.

Nothing is learned by kicking a mule a second time.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Mr Newton's ideas on this one.
Bypass filters protect the oil, not necessarily the engine.
Mercedes allows oil changes up to 1200 hrs on my Unimog engine - partly due to 29L sump capacity, partly due to 228.5 spec oil, but also due to centrifuge for oil (a form of bypass filtration).

But you cannot have long OCIs if you don't delete the DPF system; your engine is known to accumulate fuel in the oil if it has a regenerating DPF. Deleting will also get rid of EGR, the main reason for even thinking about bypass filtration. Of course I don't know about inspection requirements etc in your area.

Charlie

People who drive large OTRs and operate heavy off-road equipment run BP filters because they make good economic sense.

There is no proof that equipment longevity is a unique characteristic to BP filtration. You can flush out contamination as easily as you can filter it out. But, depending upon your operational parameters, one method may be less costly than the other. Hence, this is about ROI as a fiscal decision.

ihatetochangeoil - you are incorrect to state that I have a "bias" against BP filters in "automotive" applications. My bias is against waste. Waste (in terms of using lubricants, filters, UOAs) happens when you don't manage your overall program parameters to the maximization of the resource. I am not against BP filters in automotive ops; it may well make sense if one operates the vehicle OCI (well managed with UOAs) to a very long term. People who are on the road a lot, or operate with very long operational patterns, can greatly benefit from BP filtration. Those who do not, cannot.

BP filtration is a means to extend the serviceable life of the lube and nothing more. There is no study data I know of that directly or indirectly shows WITH CREDIBLE CAUSATION AND RESULTANT EFFECTS IN REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS that BP effects engine longevity, past where OCI manipulation would also offer the same benefit. And I would challenge you to prove otherwise.

I agree that a clean sump is a happy sump. Cleans sumps reduce wear rates. But a clean sump is not unique to BP filtration. You can flush or filter out contamination; two roads to the same destination.

What you have to understand is that there is (unique to each piece of equipment and family design) some level of tolerable contamination that does not affect the wear rates greatly. Until the contamination overwhelms the add-pack of the oil, and overcomes the TBC (tribochemical barrier), the filtration is not the controlling entity of wear.

The SAE study you linked does nothing to talk about wear control; it only looks at lube condition. That study was only run for 8k miles for goodness sake; that's not long enough to normalize any kind of data. Further, they didn't swap the systems on the trucks, did they? Therefore they result may or may not be unique to the truck, or the filtration. They don't know because they didn't test that other condition. Correlation and causation are two different things.

You have to think about this in terms of both macro and mirco wear management. Filters are important; that is very true. The job of a FF filter is to take out large (and very rare occuring) particulate. The job of the add-pack and TBC is to manage wear at very small levels. Until they are usurped, wear rates continue to drop as the OCI lengthens. Generally, in most applications, that is 15k miles; possibly more. So using BP filters and/or frequent OCIs really does not affect wear rates at all. What BP filters do is greatly extend the life of the oil because they can hold the contamination down AFTER the add-pack would otherwise be overwhelmed. They don't make lube "better", but they can make it last "longer". Therefore, as long as one managed the OCI duration in terms shorter than any escalation of wear rate, BP filters don't affect much.

Or more simply put, once the oil is "clean enough" to support a decreasing wear rate, making it "more clean" has no effect. Using FF filters and managing the OCI can have the exact same effect as using BP filtration, but just not as long.

Need proof? SAE 2007-01-4133; my normalcy article data; my Dmax experiment in the linked UOAs. These all prove this conclusively.

To the OP; this test you seek to run should be interesting, but it does have risks involved, including no coverage of warranty from CAT should there be a failure, because you're venturing outside the approved application parameters of that filter. Whereas risk is low in all likelihood, it still exists and you'd not be covered should the unthinkable happen.

Last edited:
"BP filtration is a means to extend the serviceable life of the lube and nothing more. There is no study data I know of that directly or indirectly shows WITH CREDIBLE CAUSATION AND RESULTANT EFFECTS IN REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS that BP effects engine longevity, past where OCI manipulation would also offer the same benefit. And I would challenge you to prove otherwise."

Sorry Mr. Newton, I respectfully disagree. Neither BITOG nor David Newton have the only informed opinions regarding the benefits of bypass filtration.

For example, two SAE papers which you and I have previously discussed (SAE 881827 and 881825), which both have to do with filtration vs engine wear and you have thoroughly "debunked" these studies in previous threads: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3584160/2

However, Mr. Jim Fitch, (for the readers who may be unfamiliar) is cofounder and president of Noria Corporation. Mr. Fitch brings a wealth of experience in machinery lubrication, OIL ANALYSIS, tribology, and machine reliability. He has served as an expert witness, consultant, and/or principal investigator. Mr. Fitch holds many patents and has published more than 120 books, journal papers and technical articles. He has given more than 600 lectures in some 20 countries and is editor and publisher of "Practicing Oil Analysis" and "Machinery Lubrication" magazines. As director of the International Council for Machinery Lubrication (ICML), Mr. Fitch is a delegate to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in developing oil analysis standards. Prior to cofounding Noria, Mr. Fitch wa CEO of Diagnetics Inc., a global supplier of oil analysis instruments and services. http://www.noria.com/team/jim-fitch/

What does this have to do with our discussion of bypass filtration? Answer: Mr. Fitch authored a book titled "How to Select a Motor Oil and Filter for Your CAR or Truck." http://www.amazon.com/Select-Motor-Filter-Your-Truck/dp/0967596424 Unfortunately, this book is out of print now, but I own a copy and have read it in its entirety. It is NOT 50 year old info, publish date of 2003. Mr. Fitch on pages 19, 23, 27, 33 and 35 (5 times in a 68 page book) REFERENCES SAE papers 881825, 881827, and 2000-01-0234 (among others) which you have "discredited."

I admit that I am not all that familiar with copyright laws, but I would be happy to scan and email anyone interested the specific pages I am referring to.

I challenge you to disprove Mr. Fitch. I'm not trying to attack you, but I believe it is fair to the readership to point out that there ARE folks out there with the education, experience, background and technical expertise to DISAGREE with your opinions, and do. Stated flatly, bypass filters reduce engine wear, and just because YOU disagree with the methodology used in SAE published technical data does not mean the rest of the world does.

I do not read that SAE 2007-01-4133 even addresses bypass filtration.

Furthermore, your "normalcy" article data accomplishes absolutely nothing regarding bypass filtration without stating the micron ratings, efficiencies, beta ratios and manufacturers of the filters used for testing. All the variables must be known. Was 40 year old technology used? How about full disclosure? Forgive me if I've missed something?

Is it possible that we can agree this area needs more study?

Cheers,
ihatetochangeoil

Peterbilt decided to offer bypass filtration years ago (I think 1990's) as OEM option because it was the only way to go over 1,000,0000 miles between overhauls. Before bypass filters they could only get 350,000 miles and they credited most of the difference to the bypass system. The bypass system they used added three gallons of capacity to a 12 gallon oil system. I remember looking at it and thinking "where the heck are they going to put that?"

ihatetochangeoil

Those SAE studies are not what you think they are. You are GROSSLY misinformed if you rest on those as your "proof". I challenge you, and Fitch, to show me how those are RELEVANT to the real world operation of vehicles in our garage.

Further, my article clearly establishes the fact of how wear rates in UOAs clearly show that in "normal" OCI durations bypass filtration does exactly nothing to extend the life of equipment.

BTW - I am familiar with Fitch; I've been to some of the Noria training many years ago, when I ran PM programs for Ford in Indy.

What you, and others, need to free yourself from is the entire concept of the use of words, and focus on intent. Rather than use FF or BP terms, we need to concentrate on the idea of when filtration is "good enough" to sustain any desired/defined level of contamination control. A "bypass" filter element really isn't anything special; it's just another filter. It's tighter, and lower flow, but it's not magic.

BP filters do NOT reduce wear. Conceptually, what reduces wear is a clean sump. Clean sumps are NOT unique to filtration; you can achieve the same effect by simply draining and filling. Therefore, filters do not affect wear, they affect cleanliness of the lube. This is a very subtle, but distinct difference. This is the difference between direct causation and indirect correlation. Yes - it's that important. And we have to recognize and commit to the fact that once the contamination level is low enough to sustain the desired wear rate, having it "more clean" has little if any benefit.

BP filtration is NOT the controlling entity when the OCIs are fresh and moderate in duration. They ONLY show true benefits in control of wear AFTER a point where the oil would be compromised.

All you have to do is look at UOA data to realize this.

The problem is that people confuse correlation with causation. And they focus on inputs rather than results.

And the infamous GM study is probably the most perfect example of this farce. They certainly proved that finer filtration reduces wear; I agree with that. But they had to do so in such a horrendous manner than there is no hope it could represent real world conditions. And they even ADMIT TO THAT FACT in the comments; they state that field conditions will not show such disparity in filtration effect, as I pointed out.

I focus on results of wear control. I don't give a darn about what filter is used, nor what lube, as long as they are correct for the intended application.

Would it matter, sir, if you used cheese cloth for a filter and a 50/50 mix of goat urine and infant vomit, if the wear rates could sustain a desirable result?

You focus on the lab; I'll focus on reality.

BTW - I will attempt to call Fitch today, if time permits.
And please PM me so we can see what info you can share regarding your claims so that I can review it. Rather than scan it, would you be willing to loan me the book so I can read it, and then I'll return it. I would offer cash as "collateral".

Last edited:
"You focus on the lab; I'll focus on reality."

Actually, what I'm doing, sir, is focusing on others informed opinions and research, dissenting from yours.

Seems to me as if you're trying to avoid my questions. You can use cheese cloth, goat urine and infant vomit all you want to, I'm here to learn and address the readership with fresh knowledge and technical INFORMED opinions that perhaps they haven't been exposed to before. And I'm using a bypass filter that is 99.97% efficient at 2 microns with a Filter Efficiency: Beta (ß) 4=10649 My own daily driver IS my test lab.

So far, I've learned quite a bit from reading through Motor Oil University; and as a result, I've changed the oil filter bypass opening point on my own car to line up with Ferrari recommendations rather than GM specs. (I now run 73 oil psi at 5500rpm) when the motor is hot with 5W30 synthetic. (Which ISN'T GM Spec for model year 2000). See Class 105 for further details.

Since I'm driving the famously bulletproof GM 3.8L, anyone with a like motor (there's probably about 20+ million of them on the road) can do the same for $27.99. Here's the kit: http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/95-Oil-Volume-Kit.aspx

Perhaps I'm also learning that you're not used to having your OPINIONS challenged. That's OK, I'm adult and gentleman enough to do as you have requested. I'm going private with this discussion. We will continue.

Cheers,
ihatetochangeoil

Last edited:
I am not trying to avoid the questions. But maybe I'm not understanding them, or I'm focused on something you're not.

Let's back the train up a bit and start again ...

What is it that you wish me to answer?

Much of my contention with this topic (not you directly, but many in general) is that people will often cite these "studies" from the SAE but they have never read them, nor understand them. There is a HUGE amount of detail in the papers that is very revealing, and often changes people POV from their first impression. Allow me to make some simple examples;

The GM filter study; 881825
Most think it proves that BP filters are better in all situations; that is not true. In fact, that study never even addressed BP filters at all. It ran some very biased testing using FF filters of varying pore size. And, to accelerate the testing, they dumped HUGE amounts of contamination into the sump, but never changed oil ever! They did the equivilant of 570k miles of contamination in 8 hours, and never once changed oil. There are other objections I have to this study; they are documented elsewhere. Anyone who points to this study as applicable to the real world has no sense of reality themselves.

The Euro BP filter study; 2000-01-0234
This is also misinterpreted by many. Here is a list of the outstanding, glaring issues I have with this study:
- They base their "improvement" claim (85% reduced iron with BP filters) upon the fact that they OVER-RAN the NORMAL OCI by approximately 2.4x greater than OEM recommendations. Since when is it acceptable to use the alternative method as your base control point? Since when it is acceptable to over-run an OCI and try to compare results to anything else as if it represented proper maintenance? To fairly judge each system, you must manage the system to its design intent, and not grossly over-use one (pushing it far away from "normal" results) and then pretend the alternative is so much better because it has lower wear data. That is absurd.
- They had a mechanical event in one of the two test buses that caused the engine to lose 80% (eighty percent!) of its lube oil, and after fixing the problem, they simply topped up the oil level and continued the test. And, they never flushed the engine; they simply topped off the oil and continued on! What kind of stupid test are they running? They have a mechanical failure mode that causes 80% of the lube to escape, and there is significant potential that the loss of oil pressure actually caused some form of abrasive metal-to-metal issue to occur. But they just fix it, and fill it and continue on as if nothing happened? Did it not occur to them to at least flush the engine a few times with short OCIs, and then start the test over?????
21.gif
It is entirely likely and probable that the high Fe count in the non-BP test portion was actually residual Fe left-over from the mechanical failure! And yet they base their "improvement" of BP Fe reduction against a value from a non-BP result that was compromised with a mechanical loss of oil pressure. What freakin' idiots! That's not the whole list of my objections to this study, but it's certainly a good start.

I think many of you are simply lost in the minutia of filtration and don't understand my overall statements.
I am speaking of a limited, conditional parameter application here:
if you were to compare/contrast the wear rate results of two independent systems, one of typical FF filtration and one with the addition of BP filtration, but you manage them to the best of their individual abilities, then under NORMAL field conditions and OCI durations, there is zero WEAR benefit to the BP system because it does NOT alter the wear rates.
Why is this important to understand? Because all these "tests" and "studies" from the SAE you all point towards are NOT managed in the manner I state. These studies all heavily manipulate inputs to show a disparity by making the FF system have to "keep up" with the BP sytsem in a world that the BP has an advantage, rather than letting each system individually manage the results to the best ability of the unique approach!

Let me give you an analogy; I'm famous for them.
Consider that you want to move 10 boxes that each weigh 100 pounds each, up a flight of stairs. You are going to "test" two people; one is a very large man and the other a healthy young male. The large man is VERY strong and is a body-builder. The other is not as strong, but a very quick athlete.
Now - if your "test" is to get the boxes up the stairs, then the "winner" should be whomever moves all 10 boxes to the top first. You can bias the results by biasing the test. In a pure sense, the test would be how quickly the men can get their total 1000 pound load up the stairs, each using his own greatest asset (strength vs. speed). The strong man might carry 2 or even 3 boxes at a time, but he's not very fast. The quick man will likely carry boxes each one at a time, but he'll have to make more trips. That is a "pure" test of ability to achieve the task; that being to get the 10 boxes up the stairs as best they can.

But what happens if you constrain one of them by limiting their asset? What if you "bias" the test by making the slower man only carry one box at a time, below his full capbility? Are you not hindering him by making him not apply his best method; that of more than one box at a time? Or, conversely, what if you made the weaker male have to carry two boxes at a time; would he not struggle and possible drop stuff, and that alters his speed?

This is EXACTLY how many of these so called filter studies are biased! They take one approach that is a benefit to one system, and then force that approach onto the other! That naturally hinders one of the alternatives into complications is was not designed to deal with!

Let's review my claim and then dissect it:
Quote:
There is no study data I know of that directly or indirectly shows WITH CREDIBLE CAUSATION AND RESULTANT EFFECTS IN REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS that BP effects engine longevity, past where OCI manipulation would also offer the same benefit.

All these studies you folks point to do not allow each system to use their unique approach for best results. Instead, these studies are grossly biased to one option, at the expense of potential performance for the alternatives.

There is no SAE study I am aware of that compares/contrasts the wear rates of the two choices (normal FF versus FF with BP), that allows EACH SYSTEM TO PERFORM IN THE MANNER IT WAS INTENDED, TARGETING THE LOWEST WEAR RATE ACHIEVABLE BY PROPERLY MANAGING THE SYSTEM TO ITS BEST EFFECT. That is my complaint here, and that is where you all fail to realize the folly of your limited vision. Is is completely unfair and just plain silly to make a "normal" system try to compete against a BP system by forcing the rules in favor of the BP system!

If longevity of equipment is your goal, then the single most important attribute to manage is wear rates. The lower the wear rates, the longer the equipment will last. To that end, each and every alternative you wish to evaluate should be managed to achieve the best result towards that goal. Normal FF systems should be allowed frequent OCIs; BP systems can afford longer OCIs. The goal is to manage the wear rates to the lowest possible state. If you hinder one of the choices, making it follow a program that it is not intended to be involved with, then you are skewing the results! The crux is this:
Each system should be allowed to achieve it's best result independent of the other choice's operation. And when you actually allow each filter method to perform to it's maximum potential, then the data from macro analysis shows that there is no tangible difference in "normal" applications!!!!

In short, there is no study that I am aware of that tests the goal of low wear rates, and let's each alternative use their unique characteristics to fulfill the best individual result! All the SAE studies bias one filter into the world of another. Essentially they manipulate the conditions such that one system will always fail, because it's out of its element, so to speak!

If the GOAL were to find the lowest wear rates, then you'd test both the FF and BP systems by managing them to their own best result, and then compare/contrast that result to the other. And that is what I do with macro data; I let each and every system speak to it's unique abilities, and then I compare/contrast those results. And when I do, I see zero benefit in terms of wear reduction (equipment longevity) of one over the other.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!

You see, if you allow each system to manage wear to the best individual approach, then wear rates are essentially equal; wear performance is assured in either approach. Therefore, the "best" approach is one of a fiscal nature; which approach is least expensive in the specific application?

And finally, I'll ask this:
If you want to debate me, then I ask that you do your OWN THINKING and not port the conversation over to someone that cannot or will not be present. I realize Fitch is a respected person in his field, but he's not here to answer questions. What I want to ask is that you personally purchase the SAE studies and read them fully, and then you and I can debate the merits and failures of each, because I have bought and read them, and I understand just where they are flawed. And then I take my own personal skill and apply that to UOA statistical analysis; hence my "normalcy" article.

Last edited:
Posted abstract SAE paper 952555 Correlating Engine Wear with Filter Multipass Testing:

Diesel engine lubricant filtration is relied upon to protect critical engine components against wear. The type of filtration and the EFFICIENCY of particle removal is vital to minimizing engine wear. This paper presents the results of a comprehensive study which characterized the correlation between engine dynamometer tests and eight different engine filtration configurations. The experimental filtration schemes were exhaustively tested according to the well known multipass test procedure, SAE J1858.

A low level Surface Layer Activation (SLA) radioactive spot was deposited at six points throughout the tested engine. Controlled, pressurized 0-30 micron test dust in an engine oil suspension was injected into the test engine under prescribed conditions and the progressive wear was measured at all the six points for four of the experimental filtration setups.

Results show that a strong correlation exists between engine wear and the filtration efficiency of solid contaminant in the engine lube. It is clearly demonstrated that higher efficiency filtration results in cleaner lube oil and thus less engine wear.

This is the public summary. I will purchase this paper and read it entirely and apply my own skills to interpretation. We can go from there sir.

For now, I personally purchased Mr. Jim Fitch's book and read it entirely. It's not my fault if his respected, published, and copyrighted material differs from yours.

And my own thinking as of this writing is that YOU are too wrapped up in your own numbers to look anywhere else. I think you might be surprised at what you might find.

I am not a zombie. I am an experimenter. I try to do things and make things better.

I don't care what you do or don't do to your car, or what data is available for/against. Modify all you want and enjoy it.

Clean oil is beneficial. Whether you keep the vehicle long enough to see the benefit is irrelevant. Whether you ever change the oil again is another consideration. Cost for me isn't even a consideration.

Plumbing a bypass, its mounts, fittings, hoses, clamps, check valve, .... is fun in itself. Pick your method and post your install pictures, bypass brand info, ... and enjoy.

Be a doer or an inventor or a tinkerer or .... Don't ever let anyone tell you that there is no point or it can't be done.

I am a firm believer in real world results and not lab R&D. Studies/papers... have their place. But, too many believe that there is nothing else. Variables are infinite. Trial/error/failure/success is more important than taking anyone's word for it.

I don't care for using a fuel filter for oil. Media selection, flow rates, capacity, fluid visc.... can be specific. Thick cold oil vs easy flowing fuel are worth pondering. I am more of a fan of paper towel, cotton wound, toilet paper, .... filters. I don't think that ANY pleated filter can match dense media filtration. I was a big fan of the stacked plate Amsoil BE90-110 filters. I absolutely hate the EABP90-110 filters.

And, there is no point in debating in a forum. Too many people can't create or do anything at all anymore. If its in writing is good enough for them, but not to experimenters.

SAE papers, books, studies are what I consider as entertainment. I've picked too many apart to worry about any conclusion drawn from them.

Experiment!

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I am not a zombie. I am an experimenter. I try to do things and make things better.

I don't care what you do or don't do to your car, or what data is available for/against. Modify all you want and enjoy it.

Clean oil is beneficial. Whether you keep the vehicle long enough to see the benefit is irrelevant. Whether you ever change the oil again is another consideration. Cost for me isn't even a consideration.

Plumbing a bypass, its mounts, fittings, hoses, clamps, check valve, .... is fun in itself. Pick your method and post your install pictures, bypass brand info, ... and enjoy.

Be a doer or an inventor or a tinkerer or .... Don't ever let anyone tell you that there is no point or it can't be done.

I am a firm believer in real world results and not lab R&D. Studies/papers... have their place. But, too many believe that there is nothing else. Variables are infinite. Trial/error/failure/success is more important than taking anyone's word for it.

I don't care for using a fuel filter for oil. Media selection, flow rates, capacity, fluid visc.... can be specific. Thick cold oil vs easy flowing fuel are worth pondering. I am more of a fan of paper towel, cotton wound, toilet paper, .... filters. I don't think that ANY pleated filter can match dense media filtration. I was a big fan of the stacked plate Amsoil BE90-110 filters. I absolutely hate the EABP90-110 filters.

And, there is no point in debating in a forum. Too many people can't create or do anything at all anymore. If its in writing is good enough for them, but not to experimenters.

SAE papers, books, studies are what I consider as entertainment. I've picked too many apart to worry about any conclusion drawn from them.

Experiment!

I may not always agree with you however I applaud your effort in trying something that goes against the grain.
Without people refusing to accept the common held beliefs there would be no real progress and stagnation would occur.
Keep on pushing for real knowledge is learned when the accepted knowledge flushed.

With all due respects, all sides in this discussion have valid points. Oil life is extended with bypass or centrifugal treatment. Lube oil, with or without bypass treatment, when it gets too contaminated causes wear rates to increase. If extended OCIs are contemplated BP treatment is worth considering.
However, many new engines have emission control setups that make BP filtration useless. Specifically the 6.7 Powerstroke and Cummins both of which get major fuel contamination of the oil via DPF regen cycling. BP filtration or centrifuges will NOT prevent this. If extended OCIs are contemplated with these types of motors EGR should be disabled (to prevent excess soot buldup in the oil) and DPF must to be removed to avoid major fuel contamination of the oil.
Environmentally, NOx breaks down to N2 and O2 in thinly populated areas and soot settles out to the ground where it fertilizes the ground. The ONLY long term emission "pollutant" is CO2, which decreases 10-20% with emission deletes (translation: better mpg). Smog does increase, but only in densely populated areas.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back