Any way to repair threads on an O2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hi guys,

Vehicle is a 98 Toyota Sienna. I just spent the afternoon replacing my exhaust sytem, the rear muffler had a hole in it and the front flex pipe was shot.

I had a heck of a time removing the rear O2 sensor, When I went to reinstall the sensor into the new pipe, I noticed that that threads are shot.

Is there any way to repair the threads without buying a new sensor?

I tried googling O2 thread chasers, but I only see the tools for the threads in the pipe.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
Google Threadmate Universal Thread Repair Tool for something that can chase a male thread back into form. Keep in mind there are limits to how damaged the thread can be for the tool to make an effective repair.

However IMHO, given the application, and taking into account the cost of the tool versus a new O2 sensor, I'd personally opt for the new sensor.

The only issue up in Canada is the price of the Sensors. I called one place at 5pm and they said another store had it for $145 Canadian plus 13% taxes.

I'm not trying to be cheap, but I just spent $480 on the two pipes today.

We don't get $60 sensors for Toyota's up here that easily.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
The only issue up in Canada is the price of the Sensors. I called one place at 5pm and they said another store had it for $145 Canadian plus 13% taxes.

I'm not trying to be cheap, but I just spent $480 on the two pipes today.

We don't get $60 sensors for Toyota's up here that easily.

Regards, JC.

Hotspot Auto Parts they'll fix ya up.

Originally Posted By: cjcride

Yes, I used hotspot before. Their prices are better. Too bad I have to wait until Monday morning to find out the price.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: cjcride

Yes, I used hotspot before. Their prices are better. Too bad I have to wait until Monday morning to find out the price.

Regards, JC.

Agreed, that's their downside. Murphy's Law it's gonna happen Saturday night.

Just go and buy a new one. It sounds like its been in there a while if not original.

Little late but i thought i would add this.
You can always make a one use die or tap with a nut or bolt (really just a thread chaser not a real die).
Get an 18x1.5 nut from a hardware store and use a hacksaw blade to cut 4 lines down the threads inside, go all the way through the threads.
Use a little light oil on the threads and run it up the part with a wrench.

You can do the same thing with a bolt, just use a dremel tool cutter, its faster. It will clean a couple of threads up before becoming dull.

If its a bolt that goes through a bracket or is exposed and you buggered the threads you can even use the same bolt just cut the treads half way to clean it up as it goes through.
These home made tools are a good in a pinch not a real alternative to the proper tools.
Saturday night, buggered threads nowhere open and it has to go together sort of thing.

Last edited:
Trav,

You Are the Man! Thanks for the tip. I took the night off, I'll head to Lowe's or Home Depot to see if they have Nuts in that size. If it doesn't work, I'll start calling around tomorrow for parts.

Regards, JC.

No luck finding an M18 * 1.5 Nut on a Sunday.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/metric-external-thread-restorer/A-p8456816e

I did what Trav suggested and picked up one of these at Princess auto and figured I`d give it a try. I spent about 30 minutes slowing going around the sensor with the 1.5 thread side.

I used transmission fluid on the file and sensor. I was skeptical about this actually working. Once the threads were showing, I decided to try to thread it into the old pipe. It worked. I brought it back to the Vice and used the thread restorer a little more.

It worked when I put it on the new pipe as well.

Big Thanks to Trav for his help!

Regards, JC.

Happy that worked out, saved some money, got some experience and own a useful tool in the bargain.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back