Ulysse Girard Dionne watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

Can anyone tell me about these watches. I am familiar with Ulysse Nardin(and many other high end watches) but, have never heard of this watch brand. My searching only comes up with other sites that sell them and no reviews. Also, would this be a junk watch?

It has a Ronda Startech 3540D movement. I have many time pieces with 5030D/5040D.

My nephew was asking, especially due to the price difference, MSRP-$1800 vs. Groupon Price-$130. I have seen the watches on Amazon for $800-$900 but, $130???

Thank You!

CB

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ulysse-g...ADS_CBP_CHP_NBR

Last edited:
The movement called "Ronda" is not well known in the swiss movement field.

http://www.ronda.ch/en/about-ronda/ronda-group/organization/

I personally think this (Ronda Switzerland) movement maker is somewhat too young (recently entered the swiss watch market) to judge their quality, and how long they can last among the big boys out there is everyone's guess.

If it's not too much to pay for, get one and find out to see if you like it's quality, etc.

Good luck.

Q.

First: I collect watches, mostly mechanicals, but I have a dozen or so quartz. I have a lot of experience with internet watch forums, even moderating them. I also do most of my own repairs and modifications. I mention this to establish that I don't just know how to tell time
grin.gif

The brand is most likely something made up from a focus group sitting at a table in a Chinese noodle shop. The Swiss content of this watch is likely very low, but the Ronda movement will be trouble free and will contain actual Swiss parts ~ if that makes a difference to you. Ronda is a good company, yes they are not as old as ETA, but the history of ETA is subject to interpretation of actual age. In the age of modern microelectronics, age is often of little importance.

My only concern with plated watches at low prices...is the quality of the plating job.

Having said that, the price is not so high that you couldn't expect to have at least 3 years of wearing before any issues with the plating. Most modern plating is PVD or CVD, and it is far harder than the old electric dip coatings.

The other point is the quality of the leather, if the brand is Chinese, I can assure you the strap will be very low quality compared to Japanese, or other more established brands such as Seiko, Citizen, Casio Edifice.

Hope this helps.

KGMtech:

What are your thoughts on some of those watches sold in Motor Trend, Automobile, Car & Driver etc...Stauer, Daniel Steiger etc?

Like you said you have heard of Ulysse Nardin, thats exactly what they wanted.
Same game as Harbor freight with their Chicago Electric and something Pneumatic brand, they hope to create confusion in the buyers mind with Chicago Pneumatic. It works.

Ronda is a low end quartz movement company. They work okay but don't add much value.
I never heard of Ulysse Girard, it looks a conjured up fashion brand from what i can tell.

Those being sold on Amazon are being sold by a third party probably to highlight this ones fire sale price. Don't fall for that, this is a inexpensive watch.
At least it doesn't say Swiss gold layering. LOL

Thank you all!
Yes, I too have in excess of 70 wrist watches(mostly auto's & old mechanical)and know them well myself though, probably not at the level of KGMtech.

It's nice to discuss time pieces now & again especially movements...like engines, as this is what a movement is!

Thanks again!

CB

Originally Posted By: pbm
KGMtech:

What are your thoughts on some of those watches sold in Motor Trend, Automobile, Car & Driver etc...Stauer, Daniel Steiger etc?

I find those ads for Stauer and DS to be offensive and often outright lying. However these must work for their target market or they would cease paying for them?

If you want a good honest watch at a low price, go Casio for quartz or Orient for mechanical.
Just after Christmas I got myself:

http://www.stuhrling.com/Mens/Aquadiver/718.01.html

It is actually very nicely made, solid and not very expensive, I paid less than $100 CAD delivered from the Amazon place. It's not exactly an Orignal Design - Victornox has a line that is the original...but regardless it's nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Originally Posted By: pbm
KGMtech:

I find those ads for Stauer and DS to be offensive and often outright lying. However these must work for their target market or they would cease paying for them?

If you want a good honest watch at a low price, go Casio for quartz or Orient for mechanical.
Just after Christmas I got myself:

http://www.stuhrling.com/Mens/Aquadiver/718.01.html

It is actually very nicely made, solid and not very expensive, I paid less than $100 CAD delivered from the Amazon place. It's not exactly an Orignal Design - Victornox has a line that is the original...but regardless it's nice.

Thanks for the link above and orient reco, just about to pick up a mako!

I agree on the magazine advertised watches such as Daniel Steiger, Stauer & Steinhausen/er (or whatever it called/spelled). They all look great in pic but, their overall reviews are mediocre at best.

Although I have many of my dad's watches from the 30's, 40's & 50's(mechanical or self-wind), I do prefer the larger watches of today with automatic movements. I DO NOT know which Swiss Movement Makers are the better or lesser makers. ETA always comes to mind for being better.

KGMtech, IDK if Solita, Ronda or ISA are OK, or NOT!
How do you feel about the Chinese "Seagull" movements?

Last edited:
I own 2 Very inexpensive Chinese self winding watches. They both are both branded Kronen & Sohne. They both are good looking watches and both perform well for what I paid for them. Yes they do lose a minute approx. every 3 to 4 days, but they cost $20.00 bucks each compared to my Tag for way over $1000, so I feel I got a good deal.

This is after wearing one for 5 months daily.

$20 for your automatic? WOW! Well done sir!

Yeah, I've got some cheap Chinese watches from U.S Polo Assn.
They're good looking watches for the $20 buck I paid, are heavy on the wrist(which I like) and good size overall(47 mm).

Myself, I am definitely liking the larger size watches from some of the lesser known watchmakers such as Android, Invicta and even now, Stuhrling. Of course, the online purchases(lower cost) is what has me addicted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Sellita is a good brand of ETA clone movements for the automatic genre. Ronda, ISA, are all fine for quartz. Seagull is making some very good automatic watch movements, quality is good, not perhaps as consistant as Swiss or Seiko / Orient / Miyota movements.

You can't really go wrong getting an automatic from Orient / Seiko / Miyota (Citizen) or something with a Sellita automatic if you want to get a good Swiss without breaking the bank.

Sellita is a good brand of ETA clone movements for the automatic genre. Ronda, ISA, are all fine for quartz. Seagull is making some very good automatic watch movements, quality is good, not perhaps as consistant as Swiss or Seiko / Orient / Miyota movements.

You can't really go wrong getting an automatic from Orient / Seiko / Miyota (Citizen) or something with a Sellita automatic if you want to get a good Swiss without breaking the bank.

Other than availability issues, is there any "BIG DEAL" with the Valjoux 7750/SW500. It seems to be the most sought after movement. I know that it's an auto/chrono day/date but, I hear it also fragile. What are your thoughts?

Other than availability issues, is there any "BIG DEAL" with the Valjoux 7750/SW500. It seems to be the most sought after movement. I know that it's an auto/chrono day/date but, I hear it also fragile. What are your thoughts?

The Valjoux/ETA 7750 is the most common automatic chronograph movement. It's been around since 1974. In its simple unrefined iteration it shows up in inexpensive chronographs that cost under $1,000, but it can also be found in much more expensive watches. It's not a fragile movement at all. My Chronomat is rated to keep ticking at 20g. My oldest watch with a 7750 is now 26 years old, my newest one is 5 years old. The oldest one runs as well as the new one, but a full service, which includes replacing a few parts, is required every 5 years. A superior and more refined chronograph movement is the Zenith El Primero.

Good info here:
http://people.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631672313433425752

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

The Valjoux/ETA 7750 is the most common automatic chronograph movement. It's been around since 1974. In its simple unrefined iteration it shows up in inexpensive chronographs that cost under $1,000, but it can also be found in much more expensive watches. It's not a fragile movement at all. My Chronomat is rated to keep ticking at 20g. My oldest watch with a 7750 is now 26 years old, my newest one is 5 years old. The oldest one runs as well as the new one, but a full service, which includes replacing a few parts, is required every 5 years. A superior and more refined chronograph movement is the Zenith El Primero.

Good info here:
http://people.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631672313433425752

hotwheels

I agree, the 7750 is not fragile. It is, however, fussy about how it is assembled after service is done ~ if the watchsmith is well experienced they get it done right, other less experienced will have problems the first few jobs. I guess that the above statement would apply pretty well to most mechanical chronographs.

I have a friend that wears a Tourneau wrist watch w/Valjoux 7750 mov't. He was told not to wear it everyday but, can't answer as to why! Maybe because it's Certified Chronometer and could go out of that spec easier with everyday type useage? IDK!

I can't say that this is the exact watch but, it's close and the best example I could find for this conversation. IDK if this one is COSC certified.

http://www.tourneau.com/seo/shop/certified-pre-owned/rvids/5301?currentIndex=12&pageSize=12&categoryId=2301&type=&refinementValueIds=5301#pdpSeoKey!shop_certified-pre-owned_stainless-steel-gotham-avantgarde-chrono-automatic-69788p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back