Is there a 0w30/40 that meets API CH and ACEA E3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title really says it all. New engine calls for an oil that meets API CH or better and ACEA E3 or better. Given operating temperature ranges, I'd like to use a 0w30 or 0w40. Googling this is getting nowhere fast due to the "or better" aspect of that. Search for ACEA E3 and you don't get E4, etc.

Does such an oil exist?

Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge 0W-40 are close with a CF and A3/A4 and A4/B4 ratings. Pennzoil's version doesn't have these certifications.

ACEA E3 has been obsolete since 2005; oil producers are no longer allowed to include it on their specification profiles.

Also, I assume you mean API CH-4?

Originally Posted By: Ty Williams
Title really says it all. New engine calls for an oil that meets API CH or better and ACEA E3 or better. Given operating temperature ranges, I'd like to use a 0w30 or 0w40. Googling this is getting nowhere fast due to the "or better" aspect of that. Search for ACEA E3 and you don't get E4, etc.

Does such an oil exist?

Shell Rotella diesel engine oils are API CJ-4 rated - which will work in a CH-4 application (backwards compatible) - however, those same Rotella products would not be ACEA E3 rated as well. So, if you are looking for an API CH-4 AND ACEA E3 rated product, then no – we do not have an oil that meets both at the same time. However, if you are looking for an oil that meets API CH-4 OR ACEA E3 – then yes, the Rotella Diesel Engine Oils would work (per the API CJ-4 rating being backwards compatible with the CH-4 rating). - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back