Toyota Filter Pictures - 6 Months & 9,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I figured I'd try some photos of a filter also, to toss my hat into the ring. Here's some pics of my Toyota OEM filter from my 2013 Camry Se with 27k miles. The filter was run with TGMO 0W-20 for about 3500 miles and Mobil 1 AFE for another 3500 miles. Run during extremely cold winter season for 3 of the 6 months. Idling of about 30 minutes per day in 0F-15F temps. Highway driven 90%. The filter drained in a small jar for about 24 hours prior to the photos (figured too much info couldn't hurt)

The photos should be clickable for much larger and closer views.

Side view, natural afternoon light

End view (not sure why aftermarket cartridge filters have such larger caps and Toyota only uses a resin glue... or if that is a BAD THING?) Flash used for this photo.

Side view Natural afternoon light. Note a little sludge granule on the filter about 1 inch out from my pointer finger. That must have come from setting it temporarily in my soiled oil drain pan??

Very good looking filter. If I had a Toyota, I would use just these.

I wouldn't worry about the particle. If your engine was sludge'd, I would think you would also see some packed in the pleats.

Great looking filter.

I wouldn't worry about the particle you found on the inside of the filter. As you suspect, it probably came from handling the filter after you removed it. Oil flow is from outside to the inside, so only filtered oil should be on the inside. If the particle came from inside the crankcase, it should have been on the outside of the pleats.

Thanks for the pictures!

I just started using these Toyota OEM filters in my 2014.5 Camry SE-looks like it does a nice job of filtration. Just to clarify- did this filter go 7,000 miles or 9,000 miles ?

Either way, I can start to see why Toyota follows a 10,000 mile OCI using 0W-20 full synthetic with the Toyota OEM oil filter.I have no doubt the oil can go the 10,000 mile distance but I really wondered how well their filters would hold up at long change intervals. Obviously, pretty well.

Cartridges dont count
Trolling.gif

These are Denso filters, OEM to many Japanese brands. When Kawasaki changed the part number on their oil filter for my ZX-14R they went from a former Denso design to this current design.

Not sure about this Toyota filter but my Kawasaki filter is evidence that a quality filter can come from China.

Again, I'll preach my support for using OEM.

Up to you, of course, but ideally you should keep that stuff off your skin.

Even Mobil 1 gets carcinogenic.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Up to you, of course, but ideally you should keep that stuff off your skin.

Even Mobil 1 gets carcinogenic.

Yeah, if you take a bath in it daily.

Hello, As good lookin' a cartridge as the good ones sold for my car (MANN, Mahle).
I must say that the material used in the Volvo filters is thicker and the ends are more thoroughly fused. That is to say the "glue annulus" is bigger. ...might mean a whole lotta nothin'. Kira

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What, no end caps? Oh the horror!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Kind of diminishes the shock value of cardboard end caps when you see a good filter with none at all.

Yeah, well fear-mongers need something to talk about, right?

I fully confess many years ago I had a "preference" for metal end caps. (Ignorant bias would be a better definition for my former attitude.)

Now - I don't care one way or the other. Any decent design that is well executed will work just fine. Metal cap, fiber cap, resin cap; they all work when applied properly.

Last edited:
The Toyota spin-on oil filters made by Denso are made just like this. No end caps. Not even cardboard end caps. Never had a problem with them. They look much the same as this after 5000 miles.

I had been meaning to stock up on Denso filters for our ES300 and my Acura SLX. That is some persuasive imagery to help remind me to do that.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
These are Denso filters, OEM to many Japanese brands. When Kawasaki changed the part number on their oil filter for my ZX-14R they went from a former Denso design to this current design.

Not sure about this Toyota filter but my Kawasaki filter is evidence that a quality filter can come from China.

Again, I'll preach my support for using OEM.

agree, and Japanese quality control is usually good, possibly better than some other OEMs

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
So I figured I'd try some photos of a filter also, to toss my hat into the ring. Here's some pics of my Toyota OEM filter from my 2013 Camry Se with 27k miles. The filter was run with TGMO 0W-20 for about 3500 miles and Mobil 1 AFE for another 3500 miles. Run during extremely cold winter season for 3 of the 6 months. Idling of about 30 minutes per day in 0F-15F temps. Highway driven 90%. The filter drained in a small jar for about 24 hours prior to the photos (figured too much info couldn't hurt)

The photos should be clickable for much larger and closer views.

Side view, natural afternoon light

End view (not sure why aftermarket cartridge filters have such larger caps and Toyota only uses a resin glue... or if that is a BAD THING?) Flash used for this photo.

Side view Natural afternoon light. Note a little sludge granule on the filter about 1 inch out from my pointer finger. That must have come from setting it temporarily in my soiled oil drain pan??

its very similar to what filtech does for the Honda A01s

However they do use a resin or glue they use a tiny steal end cap that is placed over the glue / resign....

There is lots of R&D based on oil filters and the Dealer does know what they are doing for matinece thats in the book.

Nice looking filter. Notice the tight even pleating at the center tube. Add a metal center tube on the oil filter housing and you have a great filter design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back