Difference between black and gold Castrol Edge's??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is driving me nuts.

Castrol has 2 synthetic products: Castrol Edge with "Syntec Power Technology" in a black bottle, and Castrol Edge with "Fluid Strength Technology" in a gold bottle.

The black bottle used to just be called Syntec, and was Castrol's basic synthetic. The gold bottle is 'newer', AND it has a liquid Titanium additive in it to give the oil more film strength. It used to be marketed as an extended-drain oil, but now is not, it is just marketed as Castrol's premium synthetic.

However, brand-new bottles of Edge with Syntec Power Technology are advertising that THEY are fortified with a liquid Titanium additive for additional film strength, just like the Edge with Fluid Strength Technology.

SO, could someone PLEASE explain exactly WHAT the difference is between these two products?? So far, only difference I can see is that the black-bottle stuff is cheaper than the gold-bottled stuff.

I know the gold-bottle Edge is Castrol's premium synthetic product, but it now sounds like it is the exact same as the black-bottle Edge...

Anyone?

I think they just like to mess with everybody. I mean at least come out with a new name.

Has Titanium, very small amount * I want to say 23 ppm? Look up the VOA's.. Gold bottle advertises up to 15K OCI..

Originally Posted By: Timo325
Has Titanium, very small amount * I want to say 23 ppm? Look up the VOA's.. Gold bottle advertises up to 15K OCI..

It USED to...it doesn't anymore. OLD Gold-bottle Edge was advertised as a 15k oil; now it has no mileage rec on it at all.

Castrol marketing is confused with their available synthetic oil too, they don't know which is which. The name had been changed several times and now they don't even now what to name them anymore.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

It USED to...it doesn't anymore. OLD Gold-bottle Edge was advertised as a 15k oil; now it has no mileage rec on it at all.

Yes it does. Gold bottle is edge extended performance good for up to 15k. I have a brand new jug in the garage.

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/car/engine-oils/castrol-edge-no-titanium.html

Edge vs edge EP is the same as M1 vs M1 EP

Current product in the US still advertises on the bottle and on their website that it is good for 15k OCI's
http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/car/engine-oils/castrol-edge-no-titanium.html

I have two Gold 5qt jugs in my garage right now that say "Guaranteed Protection up to 15,000 miles" right on the front.

Well as confusing as it is now, it was even more confusing before their 15k mile oil came out (which I believe is the gold bottle stuff). The black bottle stuff was on sale at Walmart - with the emphasis on "was" - but now is back to what it was before. Before there was black bottle synthetic oil with titanium, without titanium, a black bottle german formula, etc, etc etc.

At least now I consider their black bottle titanium oil to be a "normal" synthetic, probably capable of a 5-7k mile oil change interval...and their gold bottle to be a better quality oil, capable of an extended drain.

Bottom line...they suck at marketing. I seriously wonder if whoever is in charge of all this is even working for them anymore and is not being sued as we speak. When there is this much confusion regarding oil - and their products - what does it say for the stuff we as customers can't see? Like the things that actually go into their oil? Because that's where the confusion and deciet usually lies.

"That's thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy!"

Brought to you by the marketing brainiacs at Castrol.

33.gif

Gee-it sounds kinda like there are maybe too many marketing types-like the lawyers, we need to shoot about 90% of them!

That's Castrol TRYING HARD to be different for ya. It's like one day at the coffee table they decided on one name and put it into production then in a week they were like "let's add titanium to the label" then in a month they were like "let's add liquid this or that to the label" and the printing guys don't know what's going on anymore. Haha.

I'm confused as can be by their products but still bought a bunch during Autozone's clearance sale.

Castrol's use of the word 'Edge' in both products is confusing to the consumer.

I think they should have left the black bottle as Syntec and called the more premium gold bottle Edge.

Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP are very similar. Castrol at least went as far as changing the bottles color...think that's good marketing. Mobil uses "Mobil 1" in both tiers...what's the big deal with castrol using "edge" in both.

Last edited:
The Castrol synthetic name games is near impossible to keep up on and I happen to be a fan of Castrol syns.

The gold bottle, regardless of the name of the moment is indeed their premium product intended for longer drains. UOA's have shown it to be extremely shear stable which is a must for an extended OCI lube.

I used the older gold bottle version in our KIA and was very impressed with it but quit when it became hard to find. It seems to be common again under the EP name.

Castrol's marketing has been abysmal for years for those of us who know anything about oil, it has apparently been very successful with the oil buying masses however. Fortunately their oils are much better than their advertising.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I think they should have left the black bottle as Syntec and called the more premium gold bottle Edge.

ExxonMobil's use of the word "Mobil 1" and using the same colored bottle is confusing to the customer...
k2-_30cab447-fcd6-4468-bdbd-f088350a1a16.v1.jpg
k2-_ff7a830d-a4dc-4963-a500-c429dc2817f6.v1.jpg
k2-_9591708d-5e4f-445c-946b-764733615979.v1.jpg

Pennzoil's use of the word Platinum on two different products is confusing to the customer...
PZ-Platinum-Hero-1qt-NEW1.png
PZ-Platinum-Ultra-Hero-1qt-NEW1.png

Give me a break people, if you can't read the label and figure it out then just take your car to the quick lube
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
That's Castrol TRYING HARD to be different for ya. It's like one day at the coffee table they decided on one name and put it into production then in a week they were like "let's add titanium to the label" then in a month they were like "let's add liquid this or that to the label" and the printing guys don't know what's going on anymore. Haha.

I'm confused as can be by their products but still bought a bunch during Autozone's clearance sale.

I'd compare them to Audi engineers...I guarantee you Audi engineers sit in a room getting stoned together and say, hey Jimmy! Why don't we make this a 15 point bolt? That way we have to make a 15 point socket! That would be awesome. And what is the chance we can make snap rings...reverse snap rings? Total blow their minds!

Originally Posted By: volk06

Yes it does. Gold bottle is edge extended performance good for up to 15k. I have a brand new jug in the garage.

Edge vs edge EP is the same as M1 vs M1 EP

I stand corrected...

Even more confusing then, because the Canadian gold-bottle Edge has completely dropped the extended-drain claim...says nothing about it lasting longer than other oils, or even black-bottle Edge.

This is what I'm getting at...if the gold-bottle Edge said anything about 'lasting longer', I'd understand, it's the extended version of their synthetic. But in Canada, both bottles basically read the same...

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: pbm

ExxonMobil's use of the word "Mobil 1" and using the same colored bottle is confusing to the customer...
k2-_30cab447-fcd6-4468-bdbd-f088350a1a16.v1.jpg
k2-_ff7a830d-a4dc-4963-a500-c429dc2817f6.v1.jpg
k2-_9591708d-5e4f-445c-946b-764733615979.v1.jpg

Pennzoil's use of the word Platinum on two different products is confusing to the customer...
PZ-Platinum-Hero-1qt-NEW1.png
PZ-Platinum-Ultra-Hero-1qt-NEW1.png

Give me a break people, if you can't read the label and figure it out then just take your car to the quick lube
crazy.gif

Unlike Castrol, they've been using same words, bottles and formulations for years, eh?.

Don't forget, the magnatech castrol is also synthetic now too, just to further confuse everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back