My new car tires stink, what to replace them with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2014 Honda Accord it came with Goodyear Assurance tires. I think they're cr**. They're noisy and harsh and don't grip in the wet well. I have 8K on them.

I want quiet, smooth, grip in wet. Thinking about putting Michelin's on. Current size is 215/55R17.

Some Michelin types:
Premier A/S
Primacy MXM4
Primacy MXV4
Defender

What do you all recommend?

cs5; why pay for advertising and race sponsership when a documented well performing tire can be had for less $

Last edited:
From personal experience, Pirelli P7 AS+. Extremely quiet, smooth and precise.

However, based on tirerack, you also should consider the Michelin Premier A/S & the Continental Purecontacts.

In wet track testing, they significantly outperform the Pirellis. But in other testing and from owner's feedback, the Pirelli's are best.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
On my 2014 Honda Accord it came with Goodyear Assurance tires. I think they're cr**. They're noisy and harsh and don't grip in the wet well. I have 8K on them.

I want quiet, smooth, grip in wet. Thinking about putting Michelin's on. Current size is 215/55R17.

Some Michelin types:
Premier A/S
Primacy MXM4
Primacy MXV4
Defender

You live in San Antonio, so this is what I would get.
If longevity is not priority, but performance is, then get Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
If you want performance but also longevity, get Michelin Pilot A/S.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You really need all-season tires?

It's an Accord, so unless the OP takes his 4-banger Accord to the limits, AS tires will have more pros than cons when compared to summer-only tires. The biggest benefit? NOISE, which he says is an issue with his current tires. Another? Tread wear.

I swapped back from AS to Summers in my old STI and there was a noticeable difference while at the limits, but my limits were so far less than the car's that it wasn't worth it for me, especially considering the much worse tire life. For the OP? That's up to him.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Some Michelin types:
Premier A/S
Primacy MXM4
Primacy MXV4
Defender

If longevity is not priority, but performance is, then get Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Comfort is crucial, next grip in rain - are those qualities you refer to by "performance"?

Some Michelin types:
Premier A/S
Primacy MXM4
Primacy MXV4
Defender

Comfort is crucial, next grip in rain - are those qualities you refer to by "performance"?

Performance almost never means comfort. There is always a trade-off, be it traction, rolling resistance or other.

Some Michelin types:
Premier A/S
Primacy MXM4
Primacy MXV4
Defender

I have Michelin PSS and this is what I have to say.
1. You will get 25K at most on them.
2. They have outstanding dry and wet grip. They are OEM tire on BMW M5, Porsche 911 for a reason.
3. Outstanding hydroplaning resistance (now I have 5/32 on two and 6/32 on two, and still cannot figure out how they do sooo good in pile of water).
4. Amazing braking performance.
5. Below 50 degrees their performance is not that good.

Michelin Pilot A/s:
1. Will have longer tread life.
2. Will do more then good on Accord. They are recommended for high performance cars and drivers who want AS tire.
3. They will do MUCH better then many dedicated performance tires.
4. They re better below 50 degrees then PSS.

You will not hit limits on Pilot AS with Accord, not to mention hitting limits on PSS. I have VW CC with Brembo rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads (track/street use) and still cannot hit limits on PSS.

So my recommendation for SA use: Get Michelin Pilot AS.

I had the same issues, noisy tires etc.

read reviews on TR. you can break it down to the vehicle you own.
I just put a set of Michelin Premiers on my Camry last week.

I've done both Michelin Primacy MX4 and Defenders. They are both very quiet, which is what I was after but the defenders will go about 60-70k while the MX4 appear to maybe go 50k.

sasilverbullet,

I hate to break it to you, but if you want it "all" without worrying about cracking sidewalls, you are stuck with the Continental TrueContacts A/S.

LRR, deep tread, comfortable ride, great in wet weather, long tread life... They answer all your needs.

I have a set and they are as good as the reviews.

The MX4 comes in two different versions. One of those is the energy saving tire. Stay away from the energy saving version of those tires because they have very poor traction on wet roads.

I have the defenders on the elantra. They are good so far, they do ride a touch harder, and a bit louder that the contipros on before.

I was very glad that my 2015 Accord Sport came with Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS and not Goodyear LS-2's which was another OEM tire. I like Goodyear products just fine but those tires specifically are supposed to be very mediocre. The Bridgestones have been excellent so far, and are usable even in all the snow we've gotten this year.

My wife's Corolla has Michelin Defenders. They are a fine tire but hard to judge how good or bad due to the fact that they are mounted on a 13 year old basic commuter appliance.

Originally Posted By: Falken
sasilverbullet,

I hate to break it to you, but if you want it "all" without worrying about cracking sidewalls, you are stuck with the Continental TrueContacts A/S.

LRR, deep tread, comfortable ride, great in wet weather, long tread life... They answer all your needs.

I have a set and they are as good as the reviews.

Thanks for the recommendation, I looked at the reviews at Tire Rack and right now those are what I'm going to go with.

I've got Pirelli Cinturato P7s on my car and couldn't be happier. I put 400 miles on them today and they were smooth and quiet. They're everything that the Michelins they replaced weren't. I see you live in a warm climate. In my experience Michelin tires dry rot like crazy. My grandmother's Michelins were 3 years old and still were almost full of tread and I didn't feel safe driving it in the condition they were in in 3 years due to dry rot. Total garbage.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've got Pirelli Cinturato P7s on my car and couldn't be happier. I put 400 miles on them today and they were smooth and quiet. They're everything that the Michelins they replaced weren't. I see you live in a warm climate. In my experience Michelin tires dry rot like crazy. My grandmother's Michelins were 3 years old and still were almost full of tread and I didn't feel safe driving it in the condition they were in in 3 years due to dry rot. Total garbage.

Well 3 years in Arizona with a hard compound tire and yea, you'll see sidewall checking due to UV exposure. Never an issue up in the cold of Minnesota. What I don't like with the Defender is they do ride mare harsh.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus has gotten good reviews on TR and on TN Forums. The Camry has the same size tire.

Later this year, I will probably replace my factory Bridgestone's with a different tire. Originally I was thinking about a Michelin Defender or Premier but online reviews show multiple reports of premature wear on the Michelin's and/or dissatisfied customers. Hard for me to believe since I have never had a bad Michelin tire on any vehicle I have owned ??

Right now, the Pirelli looks pretty good as I continue to research the issue. Will consider Conti's too since my SIL works for them and can get me a good discount.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back