No oil-no gas-no filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been talked about many times on here. There are many makers of electric bikes trying to get them on the streets. Sadly they cost quite a bit and suffer from limited range.

Pardon me! Search showed nothing for electric cycles or the Zero. 185 isn't exactly limited range.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
Pardon me! Search showed nothing for electric cycles or the Zero. 185 isn't exactly limited range.

It is, if you want to go more than 185 miles, in a single day.

I think it is an interesting concept.

The only problem would be those people who buy bikes to be loud and obnoxious and attract attention to themselves, such as Harley and sport bike riders. They are a large part of the market, and it would be difficult to sell them on something that doesn't deafen everyone else around them. I know some do it so other drivers are aware of their presence.

I've also noticed not as many people ride now who may have previously. Some of my friends who used to ride have had too many close calls or accidents with distracted drivers that they have stopped riding. My dad even considered getting a bike for commuting on nice days, but after one of my friends was in a nasty accident involving a girl texting, he no longer wants a bike.

Add those two factors plus the higher price tag and it becomes a tough sell.

I'll be interested, as soon as they are comparable in cost and capability to a gas bike.

That 185 mile range is under ideal city conditions for an electric bike. Take it out a twisty canyon road, where you are on the 'gas' far more than scooting around on City streets, and the available range drops fast.

Then you're out away from civilization, with no way to charge the battery. Even if you could charge it, it would take far longer than filling up a gas tank at a country store.

I ride a couple Sportbikes that would leave this thing in the dust, performance wise. Go farther on a tank of gas, and can be filled up in about a minute.

How can it be a tough sell when you have a chance to save the environment. Many of our politicians tell us that electric vehicles are the future because they produce absolutely no pollution of any kind. You just plug them in and go. Whatever happens to generate the electricity in the first place does not count because you can't see it. They say that windmills will take care of that. The only inconvenience is that you can only recharge your vehicle when the wind blows. You can take their word on that because politicians know a lot about blowing wind.

On a more serious note I rode an electric bike and after a life time of riding motorcycles it felt heavy and resistant to turning and the brakes were grabby and numb. The suspension travel was limited like a Harley which meant that pot holes were a real hazard. I felt nervous riding the bike because even with the instrumentation I had no confidence in the range and was warned that running the motor through the very last bit of battery power was harmful.

I hope the early adopters do a good job of field testing. Having an electric car or bike that did not need tuneups and oil changes would be welcome.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How can it be a tough sell when you have a chance to save the environment. Many of our politicians tell us that electric vehicles are the future because they produce absolutely no pollution of any kind.

1. The environment does not need saving
2. You believe what politicians tell you?
3.It does produce pollution, possibly more that you think, lithium heavy metal batteries.

Don't forget this is really a coal fired motorcycle. The electricity comes from somewhere.

As a ride to work commuter bike, its not a bad idea, if it can be purchased in the same price range as a ninja 250/300. ( I bet you can't).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How can it be a tough sell when you have a chance to save the environment. Many of our politicians tell us that electric vehicles are the future because they produce absolutely no pollution of any kind.

1. The environment does not need saving
2. You believe what politicians tell you?
3.It does produce pollution, possibly more that you think, lithium heavy metal batteries.

Don't forget this is really a coal fired motorcycle. The electricity comes from somewhere.

As a ride to work commuter bike, its not a bad idea, if it can be purchased in the same price range as a ninja 250/300. ( I bet you can't).

Did you not get the sarcasm?

Motorcycle riders are interested in electric bikes to save the environment??

Ive never seen one of those, but Im sure they exist but nothing seen around my space bubble.

What about the loud pipes save life crowd?

An elec bike would be great for bumping around town. Just realize you are near silent and always have an exit path in mind and dont drive beside cars like I see cars drive beside semis.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Motorcycle riders are interested in electric bikes to save the environment??

Ive never seen one of those, but Im sure they exist but nothing seen around my space bubble.

Yes, you can count me in on that one.

I have a large capacity solar system on my house to help facilitate that when it becomes truly viable to go electric for the car and or bike. With potential to expand the size of the system as required or as necessary.
It seems a way off yet, so I'll just keep filling up with petrol and winding on the throttle with abandon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

An elec bike would be great for bumping around town. Just realize you are near silent and always have an exit path in mind and dont drive beside cars like I see cars drive beside semis.

I would suggest you should always be scanning for potential hazards, and looking for an exit path, no matter what you are riding or driving. I would avoid riding/driving next to any vehicle, as much as possible.

The biggest cause of accidents, is people not paying attention to road and traffic conditions. I have avoided being injured or killed too many times to count while out riding and/or driving, simply because I always pay attention to the roads and traffic around me.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

The biggest cause of accidents, is people not paying attention to road and traffic conditions. I have avoided being injured or killed too many times to count while out riding and/or driving, simply because I always pay attention to the roads and traffic around me.

can i get an AMEN!!!

parking lots and people not seeing you as they backout. even at 5mph going backwards into a bike is a no win against a car.

I agree, you have to be bordering on paranoid out there. Not paying attention and having too much bike and not enough experience are the two most prolific causes of crashes from my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back