Battery upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear I am going to kill that battery with the way it is going...

I posted a while back with what I thought were battery issues with my current battery. Turns out, this trunk located battery (in a Cobalt), hates, hates short trips. Also noticed it even will do this "struggle to start" after a short trip even if I drove a while during the the day. So it might be time for more power....

OE battery (90 series) is rated for 600cca. Advance gold I have now is rated for 650cca. thinking like my other cars, I'd like to throw something with more power in there, so it's not phased by short trips.....

I'd petty much know what to buy with a normal battery, but not so much with a battery that is located in the trunk......

use a bigger battery that fits, I use size 24 in my celica's and corolla's as it fits perfectly and it's the battery size for our 06 Camry.

Like 01 Celica said, your best bet is to shoehorn a larger battery in. A battery with higher CCA won't really help too much. If the battery isn't being properly charged, your better off with a battery with a larger capacity (typically proportional to physical size).

Either way, assuming there's not actually something wrong with the car (have you checked for a parasitic drain?), you'll get the most out of your batteries by keeping the battery topped off whenever you can. Plugging in a battery tender over night once a week will help a lot, in addition to helping your alternator.

The battery shouldn't struggle if its a 600 CCA and in good condition, you probably have a low state of charge, consider charging the battery on an automatic 12v charger occasionally to bring it up to near full.

Have you had the battery tested?

Both my Cobalt's have what I believe to be their original battery (old looking AC Delcos). I used to have a really short commute at my old job and never really had a battery problem. My commute is definitely longer now. I used the 2005 as my commuter car. I can say that the 2005 cranks noticeably slower then the 2007 does.

You have other starting/charging system issues. You have more than enough battery to get that engine going regardless of driving habits.

Assuming the battery is SAT for service,I don't think a larger capacity battery will help in the long term. If your commute depletes more than the alternator can replenish,then a larger battery will just take longer to deplete to the same position you're in now.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
You have other starting/charging system issues. You have more than enough battery to get that engine going regardless of driving habits.

Yeah this. Normally a battery sits around 90% charged but if it dips to 75% charged its internal resistance goes down and it's "hungry for power". In other words it'll suck nearly everything your alt can make for a few short seconds after start, and put back what it took out on your short trip, even if it's just down to the mailbox.

Also a cold, temperature compensated GM alternator will briefly make near 15 volts at around freezing temps. I'd watch your system voltage at a cold start.

i think napa gold batteries are very good, i feel your pain about battery location, i have a plymouth breeze and you have to take the front tire off to access the battery

IF the pump can't refill the bucket fast enough, a bigger bucket won't help. Lead Acid batteries don't "MAKE" electricity. How about a smaller pully on the alternator. Aftermarket "high output" alternators do what they are supposed to but usually require a smaller pulley to turn them faster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The battery shouldn't struggle if its a 600 CCA and in good condition, you probably have a low state of charge, consider charging the battery on an automatic 12v charger occasionally to bring it up to near full.

Have you had the battery tested?

A better approach is to find out why the battery ISN'T being charged fully, which can include a failing battery which stores less of the electricity generated and supplied to it. So a battery test is in order and after they sell you the new battery you may come back for the alternator you REALLY needed.

Hook a quick connect up to the battery and plug it in to a battery maintainer every Sunday. Will give you a full charge and extend the life of your battery.

I have 09 cobalt with the original OEM battery in the trunk. I have 80k miles on the car. it did short trip duty for 3 years recently. Since I work at home, the car would be used for 3 miles to daycare and 3 miles back home. so 12 miles a day, five days per week. I did use the car for trips and errands on the weekends. I didn't have any problems starting the car from lack of battery power. Since we have experienced bitter cold this winter, batteries are getting killed. I investigate if it can hold a charge and get the battery tested at autozone or advance or o'reilly.

Check your battery connections at the battery. Then check the connections under the hood where the battery ties in to the alternator and starter or if equipped the starter relay. Use a multimeter. Check for resistance(ohms) from each connector and post on the same color wire. Use dc volts across red and black sides on each connector and post, looking for a voltage drop.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Hopefully this Cobalt isn't a 2005 or 2006 because they are nothing but problems.

Yep, it's a 2006.

And it's the family beater for that reason....

Alternator and starter tested well last time they were tested-(Oct), and both passed. Was wondering if it might be a short-but expect for this battery issue, the car has no other issues and runs fine.

But it does does have me thinking maybe it could be the alernator...though it is tough with no other issues present.

It runs rough too, but I'm thinking that is due more to the act that it needs fresh gas (been filling at halfway mark for a while now) and a good techron/seafoam cleaning.....

Originally Posted By: irad
Check your battery connections at the battery. Then check the connections under the hood where the battery ties in to the alternator and starter or if equipped the starter relay. Use a multimeter. Check for resistance(ohms) from each connector and post on the same color wire. Use dc volts across red and black sides on each connector and post, looking for a voltage drop.

Going to give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back