3 Little Wires on Top of Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
So I can pull out that black connector?

If you ever need to remove that, squeeze the tabs together at 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock in the picture and pull. The same way you squeeze a close line pin. The other tabs at 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock in the picture are for retaining that large weather boot.

It's looking like your battery was not being charged by the alternator and that's why the car died. Your car was running off the battery as long as it could until it died out. The battery is supposed to be used for starting the car and then the alternator replenishes the power used up during starting. After that, all electrical requirements are provided by the alternator.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
So I can pull out that black connector?

If you ever need to remove that, squeeze the tabs together at 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock in the picture and pull. The same way you squeeze a close line pin. The other tabs at 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock in the picture are for retaining that large weather boot.

Thanks for the tip!

13.52 volts at battery terminals at idle. Thanks for all you help. SOLVED!

Great! I know I've been there, done that. Think you're making your car better and then screw something up and regret starting it but then fixing the problem and being the boss!

you ran your battery down to 0% state of charge.... as in when the entire car died while driving. unless you go on regular 2+ hour trips, your normal driving is not going to recharge the battery anywhere near 100%, if you have a smart battery charger it would be a good idea to put it on the battery for a day to recharge it properly. otherwise don't be surprised if your battery goes bad within the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back