New Cooper CS5s on the Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Odyssey has 23k miles on it and the original Michelin MXV4s were shot. There was a little bit of tread left on them, but they were absolutely awful. Their traction in the wet and snow was nearly non-existent.

After some shopping around, I ended up with a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring 235/65R17s. I thought about buying them online, but as per what I usually find, it was just as cheap to shop local prices and get the free install for buying the tires from them. I paid $670 OTD with alignment and nitrogen. That, coupled with the current $60 rebate on them made it a fairly good deal.

First impressions are good. Quiet, even without being broken it as well as smooth and balanced. Traction and braking are exponentially improved. It also is less "boaty" going around corners. In terms of ride, they are more firm than the Michellins, but expected that with the long tread wear warranty.

In any case, I'm happy. I'll check back in with a full review when there are some miles on them.

Put CS4's on my old Grand Am, liked them for the few months I had them before I sold the car, still going strong though, sold the car to my sister who still runs them. Made it through winter without any problems.

I got the CS5 Grand Tourings on my Buick in size 215/70/15 and they are by far the best tire I've had on that car. Excellent traction in all conditions including good amounts of snow... ride is excellent in my opinion. Much better than the mastercraft avenger gt they replaced.

The Primacy MXV4s on your Odyssey were OE fitment tires, which are tires that are designed and spec'ed for an Odyssey application by Honda...not Michelin.

Keep us posted on the CS5s...this appears to be Cooper's first attempt at making a tire that is truly competitive with the top-tier brands.

Well, as most of you already know, the MXV4's are now phased out(although, still in stock/size dependent)and have been replaced by the "NEW" Premier A/S.

MXV4's being an older design, were being chased by many other tire manufacturers as a benchmark tire. It's no wonder that new tires on the market have now eclipsed the MXV4's in customer reviews. Though the two will not be compared side-by-side.

I'm not even sure that the new Premier A/S are a HUGE overall improvement over the MXV4's with the exception of their "WET" performance as they age...although, they may be much better, IDK!

The new Cooper CS5's do have me excited and are a consideration for myself though, I have already equipped my vehicles with new tires. I am happy with my choices thus far but, the CS5's have me, Hmmmmmmm, curious!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
The Primacy MXV4s on your Odyssey were OE fitment tires, which are tires that are designed and spec'ed for an Odyssey application by Honda...not Michelin.

Keep us posted on the CS5s...this appears to be Cooper's first attempt at making a tire that is truly competitive with the top-tier brands.

Agreed. I have had MXV4s on different applications in the past and really liked them,particularly on my Mazda3 (non-OEM) . That being said, even on the Mazda they lost much of their wet grip in the last quarter of their tread life. I am a Michelin fan, but with all the comparable choices I couldn't justify the extra cash this time. Only time will tell if I am happy with the choice, but my first impressions of the Coopers are excellent...

As many others have metioned in various threads, Cooper and General are the go-to bargain tire brands.
I've had various models of both on various cars and have been happy with them.
There was a time when I thought that Michelins were the only real tires for any application, but I'm either more open to other brands now or other brands have improved to the point that Michelins no longer seem worth the price premium.

I think that you hit the nail on the head! Other tire brands have upped their game significantly, and Michelin doesn't make such a large splash in the water any longer. Still a top choice(Michelin) amongst the professional tire testing facilities but, not worth the price premium to many(not all)customers anymore!

Originally Posted By: SF0059
The Odyssey has 23k miles on it and the original Michelin MXV4s were shot.

I would encourage you to have the alignment on the van checked, and ask for the printout and verify the numbers for yourself. We have the exact same tires on our heavier-and-taller Acura MDX (Michelin Primacy MXV4 in P235/65R17 103T). Michelin makes only one part number of this tire...only one version (the OEM that comes on your Odyssey). We have about 15k miles on ours and they measure about 8/32" (after starting at 10/32"). That's about 1/32" for every 7,500 miles. At this rate, we should get an honest 50,000 miles out of them.

I also have our MDX's alignment set up very "neutral". That is, I don't have a whole lot of camber or toe in it. The tires roll very straight, with minimal scrubbing (that contributes to wear). Steering response is compromised. One of those no-free-lunch deals.

In good will, I suggest an alignment check and get the numbers ("it's in spec" isn't good enough for tire wear). Your Odyssey may chew the CS5s just as fast.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I would encourage you to have the alignment on the van checked, and ask for the printout and verify the numbers for yourself.

Already done! Had them set it up neutral and will monitor it from there. Unfortunately, my wife drives winding back roads to work. So I can try to head scrubbing off at the pass, but she also needs to stop driving it like a rally WRX through the corners.

At least her driving style keeps the VCM cycling, which I suppose is the silver lining...

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Already done! Had them set it up neutral and will monitor it from there. Unfortunately, my wife drives winding back roads to work. So I can try to head scrubbing off at the pass, but she also needs to stop driving it like a rally WRX through the corners.

That may also explain the premature wear.
smile.gif
We drive our MDX a sight more sedately.

Dry traction on these MXV4s is good. Wet traction, I'd call acceptable. They've also got some vibes that nobody can seem to balance out completely. They're smoother than the Latitude Tours, but I wouldn't buy them again. Coopers are more expensive around here than the Michelins are, but they look like a great tire.

I replaced the MXV4's on my wifes car with the Cooper CS5's about a month ago. 45,000 miles on the Michelins so I was pretty happy with them. The reason I went with the Coopers over the Michelins was the positive reviews of the Coopers and the price. Hokiefyd, I don't know why the Coopers are more expensive where you are but I live in NC as well, and the Coopers were about $200 cheaper than the Michelins. I live just southeast of Greensboro and bought the Coopers for $512.00 OTD from Merchants tire in Greensboro.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Hokiefyd, I don't know why the Coopers are more expensive where you are but I live in NC as well, and the Coopers were about $200 cheaper than the Michelins. I live just southeast of Greensboro and bought the Coopers for $512.00 OTD from Merchants tire in Greensboro.

Merchants has the CS5s in my size for $157. They have the Michelin Defenders for $150 and they have the Michelin Latitude Tours for $128. Neither price on the Michelins includes their current $70 rebate.

I'm not saying that the Michelins are better tires...just that the Coopers aren't cheap.
smile.gif

After Cooper and Discount Tire (ebay) rebates (60+100) my CS5 UT 215/55/17 V-rated tires were $96...add $15-20/tire for installation....total under $120 per tire.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 in 215-55-R17 at Merchants is $746 including the $70 rebate. I paid $512 for the same size Cooper CS5's OTD.

That is a big price difference. Right now, Merchants is getting $151 for the Coopers, so it looks like they've come up quite a bit since you bought them. Nice buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back