Any benefits to oiling a standard filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if there would be any benefits if I oil a standard Fram engine air filter with the K&N engine filter oil. Reading around, it seems like the majority of the OEM engine air filters come pre-oiled.

You are supposed to oil only reusable gauze-over-mesh-wire filters that are designed to be oiled. Paper filters will lose the ability to breathe if you oil them. I have never seen an oiled paper filter.

hotwheels

And K&N's aren't that popular anymore. Seems that if you put too much oil on them, it gets on the MAF and then you have to clean it off or the car just doesn't run right, or worse case it's screwed up and you have to buy a new MAF. Just stick with a paper filter and forget the oil.

Yeah, the MAF getting oil on it is a headache. No oil on air filters, please. Let the natural caking of fibers and debris coat the outside of a dry air filter and you'll naturally get better finer filtering for a long time.

Actually the oil on the MAF isn't even the biggest problem with K&N, and that was attributed to over oiling mostly... The biggest issue is the natural low efficiency of oil cotton gauze media which is highly inferior to modern cellulose air filters at trapping damaging silica that is abundant in our earth's atmosphere.

That being said, I would never oil a cellulose paper filter. Buy a filter that has a media designed for it, like a Fram Tough Guard, which does include the light tackifying oil you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
You are supposed to oil only reusable gauze-over-mesh-wire filters that are designed to be oiled. Paper filters will lose the ability to breathe if you oil them. I have never seen an oiled paper filter.

hotwheels

Honda S2000 OEM air filter has a very light tackifying oil on it.

Over the years, I have opened many paper filter boxes and had an oily filter (the old Ryco A24 for Holden 6s was usually quite damp).

For my Caprice, I spray some K and N oil on them...because I can.

I have quite a few Fram Air Hog air filters, courtesy of Amazon clearance, and I clean and oil the filters with the Fram package that was sent to me from Fram.

IMO...these are great re-reusable air filters that clean up nice and a light coat of oil, after cleaning and drying, has not damaged any MAF sensors etc.

Too bad they don't offer these filters anymore. For $7 each on Amazon, they were the perfect "add on item" to reach the $25 for free shipping.

I think that a filter that is designed dry would lose efficiency being oiled.

You can get air filters for a fairly cheap price, so I think that it would be a waste. But to each their own.

I have a Mazda air filter which is paper looking and it is oiled/very oily. Made by Denso Japan. I got the filter after cross referencing but could not bring myself to install it.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
I have a Mazda air filter which is paper looking and it is oiled/very oily. Made by Denso Japan. I got the filter after cross referencing but could not bring myself to install it.

I have never seen an oiled paper filter. Maybe I'll get a chance, since my next vehicle is likely going to be a Mazda. I would think that those paper filters that are oiled from the factory are not made with the same filter medium as dry filters.

hotwheels

K&N used to offer a paper replacement air filter.Sort of an economy priced alternative to the oiled gauze job.It wasn't oiled however,and looked to be a very white colored paper.The gasketing was very soft and flexible though,but wasn't worth the $20+ dollars they cost back in the 1990s...

I had a slant-six Duster with what you might call a self-oiling air filter. Blowby from the PCV inlet would coat the filter with oil. It was running rich when I first bought it because so much dust had collected in the oil, plugging the filter. The first filter change made a real difference.

Clearly some paper filters are oiled by the manufacturer, but air filters seem to last a lot longer now that most aren't connected directly to the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

I have never seen an oiled paper filter. Maybe I'll get a chance, since my next vehicle is likely going to be a Mazda. I would think that those paper filters that are oiled from the factory are not made with the same filter medium as dry filters.

hotwheels

I am not sure if they still use it, the part # is Denso 143-2003. Here is a picture of the filter:

WP20150308003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back