1997 Cougar, programming new key fob's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the directions I have found online and elsewhere says the programming connector is located on the LR quarter panel. The only thing I have found there is the reset for the fuel pump and the harness for the tail lights. Online instructions are easy to find, but I cannot locate this programming connector! Any thought's? The Thunderbird is probably similar.

I used to have a '94 Thunderbird. if I remember correctly, in the trunk, you'll see a round looking connector with two prongs. It's near the reset for the fuel pump. You'll connect a jumper wire to that. Then you can program it.

It's been a long time, but that's what I vaguely remember.

Michael, thank you for your reply. The directions are easy to find online. The specific location of the programmer is my issue. LR quarter panel is vague, and I haven't been able to find it on my car.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Michael, thank you for your reply. The directions are easy to find online. The specific location of the programmer is my issue. LR quarter panel is vague, and I haven't been able to find it on my car.

Hmm. I haven't done one in person, so I'm shooting in the dark.

You removed the left side inner trunk liner/trim and found nothing?

I know if you have the number keypad entry on the doors, there is a sticker on the trunk lid in that area with the code on it. I'll look in my 95 T Bird to see if there is any connector back there.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
http://www.programyourremote.com/mobile/classified/-mercury-cougar-listing-5734.aspx

Thank you for that website. Back when I had a 99 Taurus I went to a Ford dealer to get new remotes. I didn't have the code and he said because the car was more than 10 years old it was no longer in their database, so there was nothing he could do.

Now I find out I could have programmed remotes myself. I guess they were either ignorant or really didn't like me or were throwing a hail mary that I would buy a new car due to failing remotes (I guess that just gets back to "ignorant"). Anyway very disappointing all around.

That car has been gone for several years now and I'm still finding out things that make me shake my head.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
http://www.programyourremote.com/mobile/classified/-mercury-cougar-listing-5734.aspx

Thank you for that website. Back when I had a 99 Taurus I went to a Ford dealer to get new remotes. I didn't have the code and he said because the car was more than 10 years old it was no longer in their database, so there was nothing he could do.

Now I find out I could have programmed remotes myself. I guess they were either ignorant or really didn't like me or were throwing a hail mary that I would buy a new car due to failing remotes (I guess that just gets back to "ignorant"). Anyway very disappointing all around.

That car has been gone for several years now and I'm still finding out things that make me shake my head.

It's amazing how a Ford Dealer managed to confuse a remote and its programming, with getting the mechanical key cut code for a physical key.

It's amazing how a Ford Dealer managed to confuse a remote and its programming, with getting the mechanical key cut code for a physical key.

I wanted both, and I was pretty clear about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back