'14 Focus ST 2L Ecoboost Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is my first UOA from my Focus ST. Driven mostly city driving during the week with the occasional highway trip on the weekends. This was the second change, first at 1000 mi. I am going to try 6k this time. I have a catch can on the PCV, surprised to see a little fuel in the oil.

Focus%20st_zpsi69ybu49.jpg

That's way out of grade, but typical for breakin. Try a similar 10w30 product with less VI.
Was this GTL PP?

Last edited:
The Pennzoil synthetics already are on the bottom of the 30 weight range, if you are looking for something thicker, Castrol 5w30 might fit the bill.

The trace fuel is not a surprise at all, pretty much the norm for Eco-Boost engines. I'm running a "thicker" 5w-30 Castrol for that reason (with a "thicker" Mobil 1 5w-30 for the next few oil changes)and once out of warranty will be running a 5w-40 (probably Rotella T-6). I've yet to see any proof that the fuel dilution contributes to wear though.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I've yet to see any proof that the fuel dilution contributes to wear though.

Correct, dilution seems to be the norm with D.I. and there has been no evidence that damage occurs because of it.

I think you delay break-in by switching out the factory fill early - especially when switching to a full synthetic. It will probably all even out in the long run, but I think the rings are still seating and thus the dilution. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
The trace fuel is not a surprise at all, pretty much the norm for Eco-Boost engines. I'm running a "thicker" 5w-30 Castrol for that reason (with a "thicker" Mobil 1 5w-30 for the next few oil changes)and once out of warranty will be running a 5w-40 (probably Rotella T-6). I've yet to see any proof that the fuel dilution contributes to wear though.

I put the same oil back in, but I may do a 5k change this time and move to something a little thicker that will resist what I assume is shearing.

My catch cat gets a lot of fuel/oil in it, so I'm assuming fuel dilution would be a much larger issue if I didn't have it. I am tuned pushing about 23 psi, so more boost must be creating a little more blow-by.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
That's way out of grade, but typical for breakin. Try a similar 10w30 product with less VI.
Was this GTL PP?

The PP that Walmart sells in 1 gal jugs. Not the newer Ultra Platinum.

I don't understand why you think a catch can will reduce fuel dilution. It catches junk before burning in the cylinders.

The catch can you've installed won't reduce fuel in the oil; it will precipitate out crankcase oil vapors before they enter the intake manifold.

The normal aspirated 2.0L Focus engine has an oil/air separator from the factory that does the same thing with no need to periodically empty the catch can. As the engines are very much related I'd be surprised if yours didn't have the factory device, too. If that's the case I doubt the catch can will help and wonder if it could interfere.

As others have said, Platinum seems to be on the low end of every viscosity grade and a change to a Castrol, Mobil or Valvoline may be helpful. In a world where more and more turbo/DI applications are present, I don't know why Pennzoil has decided the "thin" side is the place to be. Unless it somehow prepares them for the 0w-16 future...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I don't understand why you think a catch can will reduce fuel dilution. It catches junk before burning in the cylinders.

The catch can is between the crank case and the intake manifold. It is my understanding it will catch blow-by, which is mostly fuel. It certainly smells like straight gas when I empty it.

There's another PCV between the head and intake tube that will push oil out, I do not have a can there as it's minimal at best.

Originally Posted By: quantim0

The catch can is between the crank case and the intake manifold. It is my understanding it will catch blow-by, which is mostly fuel. It certainly smells like straight gas when I empty it.

It catches what would otherwise be returned to the intake system to be burned. This will likely reduce intake deposits on DI engines, but I don't see how it would reduce fuel in your oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: quantim0
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

There's another PCV between the head and intake tube that will push oil out, I do not have a can there as it's minimal at best.

The point is that the catch can intercepts whatever would otherwise enter the combustion chamber to be burned. Any fuel sucked up by the PCV system would be burned in the combustion chamber without a catch-can.

If there is fuel in the oil it will vaporize as the oil temp increases and will be captured by the PCV system, which may be why your catch can contents has a fuel smell. But absent the catch can the fuel vapors would be burned and expelled through the exhaust. They would not re-enter the crankcase.

The benefit of a catch can or air/oil separator in a DI engine is to capture oil vapors before they hit the hot intake valve and form carbon deposits. In a port fuel injected engine the air/fuel mixture washes these deposits off the intake valve before they can carbonized, but this isn't the case with DI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
How hot do intake valves get though with cooler intake air flowing past them?

Combustion chamber temperatures can reach 5000 degree F so they're going to get hot in the intake ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back