VW DI - PU Euro L vs PP Euro 5w40 w/PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new VW direct injected car. Once she hit 5k, I swapped out the factory fill with PU Euro L 5w30 after careful consideration. I've read about the US low-saps oil dilution, some say it's an issue, others say it's fine just go with 5k oci's.

However, since switching to this oil 2k miles ago, I discovered the "new" PP euro w/PP oil. I CANNOT find any info on saps level. Is it full or mid? Does it even really matter since it's made from a purer base stock? Obviously the DI carbon issues have been beaten to death, but it still feels like more experimentation/discovery is needed. I feel the VW 10k oci's are fine with a full saps 502 oil, however I want to really keep the carbon at bay for as long as I can. Will the new PP Euro w/PP, even at a mid/full saps level, and 10k oci's, give me what I'm looking for? Or, should I just stick with the Ultra Euro L with 5k oci's?

Car: 2014 Jetta 1.8tsi
Commute: 50 miles a day, 50/50
Style: Slower than most in my area

Last edited:
It's also in the additive chemistry that affects the SAPS level.

I have no issues going to Wal-Mart buying Shell Rotella T6 or CHevron Delo 400 LE. Both have SAPS at 1.0 as well as having plenty of HTHS and TBN.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck has a slightly better SAPS, at .95

At least for me... 100,000 miles between intake valve cleanings... I must be doing something right

Map out the egr, vent the PCV to exhaust and run the stoutest oil With the highest ash % you can find
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
I have a new VW direct injected car. Once she hit 5k, I swapped out the factory fill with PU Euro L 5w30 after careful consideration. I've read about the US low-saps oil dilution, some say it's an issue, others say it's fine just go with 5k oci's.

However, since switching to this oil 2k miles ago, I discovered the "new" PP euro w/PP oil. I CANNOT find any info on saps level. Is it full or mid? Does it even really matter since it's made from a purer base stock? Obviously the DI carbon issues have been beaten to death, but it still feels like more experimentation/discovery is needed. I feel the VW 10k oci's are fine with a full saps 502 oil, however I want to really keep the carbon at bay for as long as I can. Will the new PP Euro w/PP, even at a mid/full saps level, and 10k oci's, give me what I'm looking for? Or, should I just stick with the Ultra Euro L with 5k oci's?

I tried Mobil1 5W30 ESP. It meets VW 504.00/507.00. I think it is best Low-SAPS oil in the market right now that meet those VW requirements. It has really good flash point (254c), NOACK is 5.8% which is MUCH better than PU 5W30 L. If you go to used oil analysis you can find two of my UOA pdf's.

Any saps info on the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 with Pureplus?

Last edited:
no. But, it's not low ash oil, as it meets MB229.3, 229.5, & 229.5

if it had certs for 229.51, 229.52, 229.31 & 226.51, then it would be a low SAPS oil.

ALso meets 502.00/505.00

We highly recommend the use of our Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology in your 2014 VW Jetta 1.8tsi. It is approved against the “VW 502” specification (as a “High SAP” gasoline engine oil). Additionally, our PurePlus Technology motor oil is designed keep your pistons cleaner than required by the toughest industry standard.

With that said, however - we DO NOT recommend the use of our Pennzoil Platinum Euro “L” 5W-30 Motor Oil in your 2014 Jetta 1.8tsi gasoline engine. While a great product, it is a product that is specifically formulated for European diesel engines (engine such as BMW , Mercedes Benz and Fiat diesels). - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
We highly recommend the use of our Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology

That's great, but to use it, one would first have to find it. Please let us know where this oil is sold.

Also, I find it interesting that Pennzoil claims Porsche A40 compliance for this oil when Porsche does not allow any Xw-30 oils on their A40 list.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
We highly recommend the use of our Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology

That's great, but to use it, one would first have to find it. Please let us know where this oil is sold.

Also, I find it interesting that Pennzoil claims Porsche A40 compliance for this oil when Porsche does not allow any Xw-30 oils on their A40 list.

Usual confusion at Pennzoil.

With that said, however - we DO NOT recommend the use of our Pennzoil Platinum Euro “L” 5W-30 Motor Oil in your 2014 Jetta 1.8tsi gasoline engine. While a great product, it is a product that is specifically formulated for European diesel engines (engine such as BMW , Mercedes Benz and Fiat diesels). - The Pennzoil Team

Thanks for the feedback. However on this page it clearly states it is for gasoline engines:

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1903394pdf?$PDF$

PENNZOIL ULTRA EURO L FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL 5W-30 with Hyper Cleansing Technology is suitable for fuel-injected gasoline engines fitted with 'blow-by' recirculation and catalytic converters operating in extreme driving conditions. Also suitable for turbo-charged and inter-cooled direct injection high performance diesel engines fitted with 'blow-by' recirculation and exhaust gas recirculation without particulate filters. Compatible with all engine sealing materials, other synthetic oils and all conventional oils.

Last edited:
Apologies if we were misleading VR6OOM. First, we believe you are referencing an out of date TDS. Here are links to our most recent TDS for Pennzoil Platinum Euro L and Pennzoil Platinum Euro.

To clarify, yes it is true that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L is primarily formulated for euro light diesels. However, it does also carry the API SN rating (a gasoline engine rating), so you can use it in a gasoline engine, we just don't recommend it. One of the reasons we don't recommend using it is because we have Pennzoil Platinum which is primarily formulated for gas engines (it does not meet any light diesel specs)

Here are the exact specifications for each product:
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 is formulated for European Light Diesel engines, and is approved for: BMW LL-04, GM dexos2, Chrysler MS-11106 and Mercedes Benz 229.31/229.51.
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro – which comes in three viscosity grades (0W40, 5W40 and 5W30) – is formulated for European Gasoline engines, and is approved for: BMW LL-01, Mercedes Benz 229.3/229.5/226.5, VW 502.00/505, Porsche A40, Fiat
9.55535.Z2, Ferrari and Maserati*

Hope this information is helpful - The Pennzoil Team

Thanks for the update.

The main reason I'm currently running the Euro L (only 2k miles so far) is because of the low saps formulation and higher flash point. I'm not an engineer, but it seems that these two factors greatly affect intake valve deposits on direct injected motors. Because I'm a highway driver using Top Tier gas and UOA's conducted on this forum, I deemed it safe to use at a 5k oil change interval and still retain a safe TBN.

Perhaps Pennzoil should be the first company to research, develop, create and market a synthetic oil for direct injection motors specifically in the US. Specifically a ACEA C3 approved oil that meets VW 502/505 such as Motul 8100 x-clean C3.

GDI is becoming more and more mainstream, this should be investigated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

The main reason I'm currently running the Euro L (only 2k miles so far) is because of the low saps formulation and higher flash point. I'm not an engineer, but it seems that these two factors greatly affect intake valve deposits on direct injected motors. Because I'm a highway driver using Top Tier gas and UOA's conducted on this forum, I deemed it safe to use at a 5k oil change interval and still retain a safe TBN.

Perhaps Pennzoil should be the first company to research, develop, create and market a synthetic oil for direct injection motors specifically in the US. Specifically a ACEA C3 approved oil that meets VW 502/505 such as Motul 8100 x-clean C3.

GDI is becoming more and more mainstream, this should be investigated.

That is political issue my friend.

Oh yea? Care to elaborate?

Sulfur content in the gas. Oil industry is fighting EPA to lower sulfur content. Considering you are driving DI engine sulfur is the one that kills TBN. Shell (Pennzoil) says it cannot sell you PU L bcs of US gas, but they are the one (and other: EXOM, Chevron etc) that fight new regulations about gas.
You know: it is intrusion of Federal governent, EPA is agains freedom and standard b s.
I lived in San DIego. If you ask me, unless you move to California, use M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 or PP 5W40.

I use the PP 5w40 in my Fiat 500 Abarth it is a turbo gas engine and I have had very good results and great mileage. It can be hard to find but Pep Boys has it now and it was on sale last time I was there. Plus 10 $ rebate.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Map out the egr, vent the PCV to exhaust and run the stoutest oil With the highest ash % you can find
smile.gif

That would void the warranty, and how many people buy a new car because it has a warranty?

...we have Pennzoil Platinum which is primarily formulated for gas engines (it does not meet any light diesel specs)

- Pennzoil Platinum Euro – which comes in three viscosity grades (0W40, 5W40 and 5W30) – is formulated for European Gasoline engines, and is approved for: BMW LL-01, Mercedes Benz 229.3/229.5/226.5, VW 502.00/505, Porsche A40, Fiat 9.55535.Z2

confused.gif

Went back and looked at the PDS...and the flash point increased quite a bit over the previous non-GTL version of the Euro L. The flash point increased from 420*F to 460*F and official certifications were achieved unlike the previous PDS, which didn't list one. And now they list the VI when they hadn't previously...and it's 174.

If only we could have updated saps, tbn and noack.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Went back and looked at the PDS...and the flash point increased quite a bit over the previous non-GTL version of the Euro L. The flash point increased from 420*F to 460*F and official certifications were achieved unlike the previous PDS, which didn't list one. And now they list the VI when they hadn't previously...and it's 174.

If only we could have updated saps, tbn and noack.
smile.gif

With PU you really never know what s going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back