F1 wild guess time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone care to take a stab at who'll be the next F1 champion?

I'm going to go with Alonso, based only upon the fact that he can do miracles with even marginally competitive cars.

Nico or Lewis.

Alonso is overrated, and missing the first race. Unless the team is sandbagging, he won't be in the top 5.

Wild guess?

Tony Stewart.

You wanted a wild guess. You got one.
smile.gif

Mercedes is far superior again this year, and Lewis is the superior driver of the two.

However...never underestimate German car, German driver. I think they like Nico better so you never know what may happen.

Alonso overrated? Are you serious? He singlehandedly kept Ferrari relevant these last three years with a subpar car.

I say Rosberg or Hamilton. Mercedes is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else as evidenced during winter training in Barcelona.

Originally Posted By: Nyati
I'd like to see Daniel Riccardo.

I agree, great campaign last year, great personality and a team that's hungry again.

It will be Hamilton & Mercedes again, he has the pure speed over Nico - especially in the rain. Ferrari will make some noise and Vettel may win one or two, but that's it. Red Bull & Williams will also win a few. McLaren will not win this year with Honda - it will take them a year to get sorted. Alonso picked the wrong time to leave Ferrari, he's not lucky even though he may be the best driver. Alonso & Hamilton have a mental toughness most of the others lack. Vettel not far behind. Ricciardo is coming though - this kid will be the Champ one day.

Alonso is the best all around driver today, able to contribute to the off season development and race day setup. He is excellent at getting the best out of a car with problems and driving a car that is not up to race pace.

Hamilton is very good if you hand him a car that is already set to go. When the car is good, he is good. When the car is a bit off the pace he does not adapt well.

No current driver has the complete package like Michael and no current driver has the outright speed wet or dry like Senna.

The 2015 season will again demonstrate that any of the top five or so drivers can win the title given the best car, just like 2014. This is especially true with team orders again, just like 2014.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Alonso overrated? Are you serious?

Yes. Most people think he's the best driver on the grid. The numbers say otherwise. Alonso has 100 more starts than Vettel, but three fewer wins. Alonso never won in an inferior car. Vettel has. Two less titles, and one of them is under a cloud of cheating. He's a very unsporting driver, controversy always seems to find him. When he was with McLaren, a rookie team mate tied him. He's a very good driver, but his numbers don't support the hype.

I will say the champion will be Nico or Lewis. Vettel and Ricciadro will make it difficult. Alonso will have an uphill battle since he is missing the Australian GP.

It will be Mercedes again. They quietly put in hundreds of laps during preseason testing sitting front/mid-pack, so they're reliable. Then during the last test in Barcelona Rosberg put down a blistering lap and was ahead of all the other cars, he was on softs, the other cars were on super softs. That told me everything I needed to know.

All indications are Honda has an engine at least equal to Mercedes but their ERS systems are not ready for prime time, it's not their area of expertise (yet). Note: Honda developed both the engine and ERS systems leaving only the chassis for McLaren. If they can get the whole package working, watch out for them coming on strong by the European season.

Ferrari found some speed over the winter but it won't be enough.

Williams will pick up where they left off.

Red Bull will pick up where they left off.

Sauber may have found some speed.

Lotus can't be any worse than they were now with a good Mercedes PU under them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyati
I'd like to see Daniel Riccardo.

I like Daniel but I can't stand Christian Horner. Dude just needs to ****!

Your team dominated for four seasons, including Vettel winning nine races in a row in 2013. Now you're concerned about the Mercedes dominance ruining the sport? Give me a break...teams dominate, until they don't. That's how the sport rolls.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: wemay
Alonso overrated? Are you serious?

Yes. Most people think he's the best driver on the grid. The numbers say otherwise. Alonso has 100 more starts than Vettel, but three fewer wins. Alonso never won in an inferior car. Vettel has. Two less titles, and one of them is under a cloud of cheating. He's a very unsporting driver, controversy always seems to find him. When he was with McLaren, a rookie team mate tied him. He's a very good driver, but his numbers don't support the hype.

We'll agree to disagree.

I agree that Alonso is good, but not the best. If his development feedback is so good, why did the Ferrari stay stubbornly in the mid-pack? When Schumacher moved to Ferrari they were in a real mess, almost comically bad, and within a season were winning races.

It is 9 years since Alonso last won a title and 33 races since he last won one. He also comes across as a diva and had his bluff well and truly called at the end of last year, when Ferrari announced Vettel.

I would like to see closer racing this year, but think Hamilton will do it again. Rosberg is a decent driver but seems to need a car underneath him to win - mano a mano against Hamilton he tends to lose out (or, at least, he is shown wanting).

I'd like to see Ricciardo do well - he is a genuine talent, made Vettel look decidedly average last year and appears to be a decent character.

I'm all torn. My "wild" guess will be Lewis again, but that's not sticking my neck out. In any event, I'd like to see everyone do well, but that's certainly not feasible. It would be nice to see Williams and McLaren back in their former glory. It might happen with the former, not so likely with the latter.

Originally Posted By: weasley
I agree that Alonso is good, but not the best. If his development feedback is so good, why did the Ferrari stay stubbornly in the mid-pack? When Schumacher moved to Ferrari they were in a real mess, almost comically bad, and within a season were winning races.

It is 9 years since Alonso last won a title and 33 races since he last won one. He also comes across as a diva and had his bluff well and truly called at the end of last year, when Ferrari announced Vettel.

I would like to see closer racing this year, but think Hamilton will do it again. Rosberg is a decent driver but seems to need a car underneath him to win - mano a mano against Hamilton he tends to lose out (or, at least, he is shown wanting).

I'd like to see Ricciardo do well - he is a genuine talent, made Vettel look decidedly average last year and appears to be a decent character.

You will get no argument from me concerning Schumacher vs anyone. Schumacher wins. My contention is that some make it seem like Alonso had a good car the last four years, and by Ferrari's own admission, he didn't. I place Alonso in the mix with Hamilton, Ricciardo, Vettel and Rosberg. Hey! It's anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weasley

First off, Schumacher just might be the best driver to ever get into an F1 car. That said, we shouldn't forget that the MS glory days at Ferrari included more lax rules for qualifying. From what I've read, Ferrari had specific qualifying engines (and maybe chassis) for qualifying. Also, Bridgestone pretty much designed those tires for one car - the MS Ferrari. And that car was virtually designed (not just set-up) around the driving style of Schumacher.
As for driver images, some seem like nicer guys than others, but at their core they all have to be arrogant, over-confident personality types which is a prerequisite to making it to the F1 level. Going head-to-head with some of the most competitive individuals in the world takes a very high confidence level regardless of image. Ricciardo certainly seems likable enough but that smile isn't what got him to the dance.
JMO
Bill

I'll be cheering for Rosberg, just to keep things interesting at the front, who knows he may have found something extra to give Hamilton a good run. As for the rest, it might be a very exciting year, with Redbull, Williams, Ferrari, all very close, and perhaps Sauber, Lotus, and McLaren stepping up from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back