BATFE Proposing to ban M855 ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I would have bought some too, but I actually prefer XM193.

Agree, no reason to pay panic pricing on XM855 when XM193 is plentiful.

If the government is successful in banning one type of ammunition you can bet your buns that they'll go after another....

Obama has never been accused of being pro-gun. The reasoning of the proposed ban is faulty. If that ammo is used in a handgun (pretty rare) It likely would lose so much velocity it would no longer be armor piercing.

I've got a pretty good stash of XM-193, since that's what my indoor range allows.

But I've got both now...and I didn't pay panic pricing...which is now going on...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redbone3
Obama has never been accused of being pro-gun. The reasoning of the proposed ban is faulty. If that ammo is used in a handgun (pretty rare) It likely would lose so much velocity it would no longer be armor piercing.

What makes you think facts will apply in this case? This is gun control via executive action of a bureaucracy - so, don't expect rational consideration of the facts...

Originally Posted By: GemStater
I would have bought some too, but I actually prefer XM193.

Agree, no reason to pay panic pricing on XM855 when XM193 is plentiful.

Well I should have mentioned I am shooting an OLD Colt SP1 with the old A1 barrel twist of 1 in 12. It liked 55 grain. Some 62 grain will keyhole on me.

Last edited:
They are not even following their own rules and procedures. If this happens congress needs to defund it. We did okay without the ATF before 1972.

The several hundred rounds of XM-80 (7.62 147 grain) that I've stashed have a composite steel/lead core...so, are they "armor-piercing"??

Further, the ATF, in its own rules on this subject stated that .22 and smaller ammo won't be considered...so much for their integrity on that score.

This is political, plain and simple.

Oh, and if you've got a 1 in 12 barrel, then yes, stick to the 55 grain. I've got a 1 in 7 barrel on my M-4 style rifle, but even though it will stabilize about anything, it won't last as long as your barrel...

Last edited:
I am not suspicious. Government incompetence is a way of life. That's why I can never buy into gov conspiracies. Just not enough brainpower to manage it.

Originally Posted By: Al
I am not suspicious. Government incompetence is a way of life. That's why I can never buy into gov conspiracies. Just not enough brainpower to manage it.

The incompetence is that this leaked out before the time they are accepting comments and input was even over.

I assure you that Government conspiracies can and do happen. Read about the Night of the Long Knives for instance. The further from the center of power the effort spreads, the more there is incompetence however, as you get more red tape and bureaucrats involved.

Al said:
Read about the Night of the Long Knives for instance. The further from the center of power the effort spreads, the more there is incompetence however, as you get more red tape and bureaucrats involved.

That was Germany in the early 30's. Different place and different time. I'll clarify by saying "our present" Gov...lol

Watergate is a perfect American example from a more modern era.

The fact is that even though most of the time stuff gets exposed, you can always count on paranoid and/or arrogant leaders to try to pull shady shady stuff on people.

And from what I have seen of this administration, they certainly have their fair share of arrogant people in high places.

Last edited:
Backing off but not giving up if you read between the lines. Remember they banned 7n6 5.45x39mm out of the blue with no public input using this same terrible argument, even though just like M885 it did not fit the lawful definition of what AP ammo is. They could just issue a ruling out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back