Sometimes I hate my Corrado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to replace a low/high beam H4 bulb on my Corrado. Sadly, in order to change the bulb, I had to remove the whole headlight assembly and had to adjust the light afterwards. I don't attribute this particular design to good engineering! What were they thinking?

hotwheels

It's a gentle hint from the gods of Wolfsburg, they're trying to remind you to swap your 'Rado headlights for Rallye headlights
smile.gif

Guess yours is a G60? The charger gets in the way of the bulb but it's a lot easier on 12v and 16v motors...

Last edited:
The headlight adjustment mechanism is part of the headlight assembly. That means one should not have to adjust the headlight much after replacing the bulb, even if the whole assembly is removed. However, VW managed to defeat perfectly aligned headlight mounting by using oblong mounting holes for the headlight assembly. It's asinine!

hotwheels

"...VW managed to defeat perfectly aligned headlight mounting by using oblong mounting holes for the headlight assembly. It's asinine!"

hotwheels[/quote]

That is typical of VW/Audi design (and other Euro automakers) where Engineering and performance takes precedence over serviceability and common sense. Gotta hand it to (most) of the Asian manufacturers who have considered service access to be a significant design factor.

The best headlight I ever came across for bulb replacement was the Volvo V50. There was a purpose-designed peg that you pulled out which released the headlight - then disconnect the plug and take the headlight wherever you like to replace the bulb (rather than have to do it in the cold/rain, crouching over the front bumper and cross-member). Installation was the reverse of removal - you could have the light out in under 10 seconds. My Mercedes B Class was not too bad either - the windshield washer reservoir that was in the way could be simply lifted out of place, offering loads of access to the light.

The worst was the BMW 130i. That engine was packed so tightly in there that I had to remove the airbox assembly to get at the left-hand light bulb.

Last edited:
I miss my 79 Scirocco with the simple 1600cc FI engine and 5-speed. It wasn't fast but it was a blast to drive.

Stupid me, I sold it when I purchased an 84 Audi 4000 Quattro that turned out to be a 4-wheel disaster. It was the single worst item of any kind I've ever owned. It drove like a dream and everything else about it was just awful including Audi, themselves.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
What's a "Corrado?" I'm 78 and don't recall that vehicle.
It was the Scirocco successor. Originally, the car was going to be named in VW tradition after yet another wind, the Taifun (Typhoon), but ultimately VW decided the name was too aggressive and settled for Corrado, from Spanish for sprinting. The Corrado was made between 1988 and 1995. Of course, there has been a Corrado sucessor for a few years, a new Scirocco, which VW has yet to bring to the US.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back