which conventional or blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil super 5w20 valvoline Dino or Motorcraft synblend 5w20

Considering which to use in the focus let me know what you guys think oci will be 5000 with a Motorcraft filter

motorcraft oil, if it were me i would change it every 3,000
i would stay away from anything supertech

If you have an Orscheln nearby, they have Trop Artic on sale for $1.99 a quart. Pretty much the same thing as Motorcraft. Grab a few cases and start building a stockpile
grin.gif

Trop Artic 5W-20

Originally Posted By: jacky

And why stay away from supertech. It's either made by mobil,warren or citgo iirc.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Any of the above, although the MC blend might be (slightly) superior. I would add Super Tech full synthetic to the list as well.

Agreed.

If you really wanted us to pick one from the two you listed, I'd go with Motorcraft. Nothing against MS5k, I really like the oil, it's just you're asking about oil for a Ford so I default to Motorcraft because of the Ford/Motorcraft relationship. But MS5k is an excellent oil, so if you chose to save a couple bucks and go with it over the Motorcraft I doubt your engine would ever realize.

What year Focus?

Also, I don't think your Focus will really care which oil you use as long as it meets the Ford spec, as any conventional will probably do.

For what it's worth, I'm using Valvoline Nextgen 5w-20 in my Focus without issue, but that's because I was able to get it super cheap. When that runs out, I'll be moving to the next oil in my stash that meets Ford's spec. Whatever brand that may be.

Would you like it better if it had a different name?

The only reason to stay away from Supertech is because you have to go to Walmart to buy it...otherwise it is a solid Group III oil by all VOA's that I have seen.

Of the three the OP suggested, Motorcraft Syn Blend 5w-20 would be the best choice for the 5k OCI's

I would stay away from anything supertech

Maybe you should back up your suggestion to stay away from Supertech with evidence. I also think that Motorcraft is capable of at least 5000 miles in most cases.

Whatever is cheapest.

It's the only way to tell a difference in this case. You, your car/engine, dog, etc, will not notice or care any other way.

It's a 2014. I hate not really knowing to much about motorcraft oil.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
It's a 2014. I hate not really knowing to much about motorcraft oil.

It's produced by ConocoPhillips, quality stuff, same manufacturer of the highly regarded Trop-Artic and Kendal Oils.

It doesn't matter. I use chevron supreme , castrol gtx, Mobil super 5000. I change oil every 5k miles. My engine is 385,000 miles and still running.

So either Mobil, or motor craft will do fine.

motorcraft must be capable of 7500 miles that is what ford recommends on some engines. The only reason i don't use Motorcraft is because its expensive

In a newer Ford still under warranty, it's tough to go wrong with Motorcraft, as it's a Ford umbrella product. Keep it topped off and change every 5000 - nobody can argue a warranty claim if you should have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back