08 Santa Fe 3.3L/5K on 5W20 PP/30,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L
oil mileage: 5,000 miles
engine mileage atchange: 30,000 miles (original state of tune, no change in spark plugs, valve adjustment, etc.)
been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 since new

Air filter: OEM at 30,000,
Oil Filter: OEM
Driving style: combination highway/city in cold to warm weather

From Blackstone:
The only metal that read higher than average in this initial sample from your Hyundai 3.3L engine was aluminum. Aluminum typically shows piston wear, though we're glad to see both chrome (rings) and iron (cylinders) read acceptably low. Universal averages are based upon about 6,000 miles on the oil. It’s possible aluminum at this level is just part of your engine's "personality" though we'll know more as trends develop. The TBN shows active additive left at 3.3, since a reading of 1.0 is considered low. Go up to 7,000 miles next time and resample for another look.

Code:

ALUMINUM....10

CHROMIUM…....1

IRON……………...11

COPPER………....2

LEAD…………………..0

TIN……………………..0

MOLYBDENUM….48

NICKEL……………..1

MANGANESE…...1

SILVER…………………0

TITANIUM………….0

POTASSIUM……….6

BORON……………….37

SILICON……...13

SODIUM……………..7

CALCIUM………3026

MAGNESIUM….….9

PHOSPHORUS…685

ZINC……………….761

BARIUM……………..0

SUS VISCOSITY …51.0

CST VISCOSITY…..7.57

FLASHPOINT……..380F

FUEL %........
ANTIFREEZE %...0.0

WATER % …………...0.0

INSOLUBLES % ….0.3

TBN------------3.3

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BITOG! The analysis looks good, I would try another 5k run just to see if the Aluminum gets worse, if it does I would just stick to 5-6k runs. Though that is picky, it is JMO. Overall that is a nicely wearing engine and a good oil. Thank you!

My theory on the aluminum is since my Santa Fe has only run Pennzoil Platinum synthetic since it was new with oil changes every 5000 miles and driven easy, mostly 80% highway/20% city, my guess is the engine might still be breaking in. Thoughts?

Highly unlikely.

Hopefully, it's just a 'blip' that will settle down.

Silicon is just a touch high for 5k miles, might be a bit of abrasive piston wear going on....but that's really 'looking' for a cause!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back