When is the summer gasohol blend coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready to top everything off, when does the summer blend come out to the stations?

Last edited:
Summer blend is coming soon, refineries in California are switching to summer blend few weeks ago.

The weather is starting to warm up now in So Cal, today and next few days will see high in the low 80's, no rain is predictedfor the next 10-15 days.

Other than higher price, summer blend doesn't give any better MPG compares with winter blend, at least in California.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Ready to top everything off, when does the summer blend come out to the stations?

Have you looked around for E0 premium gas. Its in NY.

What are you topping off? Boat? Car from storage? OPE (winter/summer)?

I am not sure what the summer blend really is. In most places you get up to 10% ethanol in the gas winter/summer. Which itself is an oxidizer.

Reading on the internet there are a bunch of chemicals that can be used as oxidizers in gas.

"We know that gas prices go up during the summer, generally around Memorial Day, but when do companies start producing these different summer fuels? The EPA defines April to June as the "transition season" for fuel production [Source: EPA]. Refineries switch over to summer-blend production in March and April [Source: EPA]. Gas stations have by June 1 to switch to selling summer-grade gas, while terminals and other facilities "upstream" from pumping stations have to switch by May 1 [Source: EPA]. Following the summer driving season, companies switch back to winter blends beginning in September, with the first winter increase in RVP allowance occurring on Sep. 15."

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/summer-fuel1.htm

Quote:
What are you topping off?

600 gallons worth into tanks.

Last edited:
Oh, so you want a winter fuel with a higher butane level that will vaporize quicker to store for summer? The summer blended fuel uses less butane. That is the main characteristic of winter vs summer blends, butane level. One the of the reasons that fuel economy is generally less with winter grade fuel. But feel free to top off 600 gallons with it if you have a motivation to do it. I wouldn't.

If ethanol is your concern, the buy non-ethanol gas. I live in Iowa which is also in "ethanol central" and I can get E0 in regular or premium easily in any town around me all year long. Even delivered to my place to fill a storage barrel if I need it, by my local farmer's coop elevator.

Or did I get the OP wrong and you are wanting to top off with summer fuel?

If you don't have vapor lock problems with higher RVP, buy gas now when it's cheap.

If you actually get a seasonal change between E0 and E10, try for E0, but the efficiency loss is only 5% or so, which is less than the money swing could be. If you think gas is going to be $3/gal, stock up now. Actually, should have stocked up a couple weeks back.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you don't have vapor lock problems with higher RVP, buy gas now when it's cheap.

If you actually get a seasonal change between E0 and E10, try for E0, but the efficiency loss is only 5% or so, which is less than the money swing could be. If you think gas is going to be $3/gal, stock up now. Actually, should have stocked up a couple weeks back.
wink.gif

This winter blend gas is horrible in my Cherokee. I shut it off and it boils in the metal bodied injector.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Summer blend is coming soon, refineries in California are switching to summer blend few weeks ago…………….

Is the Torrance refinery already back in business, after the explosion last month?

Even up here in north Idaho, prices have gone up 30 cents a gal because of the explosion.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
wait a min, they have 2 different blend of gas ? for winter and summer ?

Yes

What the different ? and why ?

wink.gif

It's already above $3.30/gal at most stations in So Cal, only Costco stations are less than $3.30/gal.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Summer blend is coming soon, refineries in California are switching to summer blend few weeks ago.

The weather is starting to warm up now in So Cal, today and next few days will see high in the low 80's, no rain is predictedfor the next 10-15 days.

Other than higher price, summer blend doesn't give any better MPG compares with winter blend, at least in California.

Why would California have winter blend? Is this the same for other souther states? Makes no sense to me
21.gif

wink.gif

Relax ! its not a big deal . $2 4$ $5 a gallon dont make no different. LOL

Originally Posted By: Miller88
wait a min, they have 2 different blend of gas ? for winter and summer ?

Yes

What the different ? and why ?

I stated it already... they use a higher level of butane in winter grade fuel. It is to increase vaporization during winter months. It is the opposite of what you want in summer fuel. Gas has no problem vaporizing in warm weather. The result is that winter fuel has a lower energy content per gallon and does not usually have the economy of summer fuel.

This winter blend thing is not as critical for modern injected engines, but they have to make fuel to cover a wide range of applications from carburetor to injector, from N/A to turbo and supercharged engines. Small equipment engines to big blocks in cars and pickups. From cars a few years old to cars several decades old. No conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back