Hello, and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings & thanks to BITOG'rs for keeping tabs on the rapidly evolving lubricant changes in the marketplace.

I am Lubricatus Obsessus, a 30 year experienced Mechanical Engineer.

One of my professional stints was with a major U.S. Oil Company as a trained Industrial Lubrication Engineer. Back in those days, life was relatively simple.

Today, it is hard to believe what is going on in the engine & lubricant design arena. I want to express my thanks to all those providing information & opinions for keeping abreast of developments, as I no longer work in that field but am still conversant.

I am employed now with a major U.S. diesel engine manufacturer, so engine lubrication is still of some professional interest, but my main interest is for my own personal engines (cylinder index is merely a paltry 54).

I thought it best to stop lurking/using & join if nothing more to thank you.

welcome2.gif

Your knowledge, if you choose to contribute now that you have an account, will be much appreciated.

Welcome!

Your lurking time no doubt gave you the necessary perspective to come up with your screen name.

Oh, my
blush.gif

Permit me to add marginal value by indicating it is merely a summation of the number of active combustion cylinders owned (or indebted) by an individual.

There are some at my current workplace in the 100+ category.

P.S. - business use is disallowed!

Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess
Greetings & thanks to BITOG'rs for keeping tabs on the rapidly evolving lubricant changes in the marketplace.

I am Lubricatus Obsessus, a 30 year experienced Mechanical Engineer.

One of my professional stints was with a major U.S. Oil Company as a trained Industrial Lubrication Engineer. Back in those days, life was relatively simple.

Today, it is hard to believe what is going on in the engine & lubricant design arena. I want to express my thanks to all those providing information & opinions for keeping abreast of developments, as I no longer work in that field but am still conversant.

I am employed now with a major U.S. diesel engine manufacturer, so engine lubrication is still of some professional interest, but my main interest is for my own personal engines (cylinder index is merely a paltry 54).

I thought it best to stop lurking/using & join if nothing more to thank you.

Welcome. So please answer an age old question as to which oil is best for a 1975 Ford Pinto?

Thank you, but no...my time at the major U.S. oil company made me into that. My colleagues in other industries used to laugh at my aanalness about lubrication topics but I must say - BITOG'ers have me beat by a long shot!

LOL
laugh.gif

Only those that are actively combustable count, sorry. Otherwise we all might be in the many 100's!!

NOTE TO FILE: combustable matters, as otherwise we would be counting hydraulics, pneumatics, and other such 'lower value' cylinders!

Originally Posted By: Throt
welcome2.gif

Your knowledge, if you choose to contribute now that you have an account, will be much appreciated.

Flattery will not entice my contribution, as my knowledge is limited now (hence my prior lurking), but I intend to contribute due to the value BITOG has provided my for my C.I.

Thank you!!!!

Originally Posted By: Donald

Welcome. So please answer an age old question as to which oil is best for a 1975 Ford Pinto? [/quote]

Uh-oh! I sense an initiation ritual test via my finely honed sense of polycylic aromatic unburned hydrocarbon detectors!

However, I will admit to knowing what the Ford Pinto was, proving my age! In fact, I remember the exploding gas tanks in rear end collisions.

My response would be: 'a highly flammable napthenic crude stock that, when ignited, would successfully char the vehicle to limit transport cost to the scrap yard'.

Originally Posted By: Throt
welcome2.gif

fyi......donation sent.

BTW, I was lurking out of ignorance on PVEO (anybody remember that ancient acronym?)synthetic reformulations.

I knew about the Mobil 1 / Castrol flap on API Group IV vs. III, Mobil being re-purchased by Exxon (broken up as part of the original Standard Oil Trust in the early 1900's), and the degrading of the original Mobil 1 Group IV base stocks.

I was trying to find out which new PVEO synthetic formulation provided the best bang for the buck these days. Seems Amsoil is the sole 'purest' left for tip-top synthetic performance, so for me it is a shootout between Mobil 1 & SOPUS.

SOPUS has swayed me to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, after using Mobil 1 for 31 years!!!!

Why? See the above flap, the resultant increase in engine temp, and the resultant increase in engine deposits, and the resultant higher sensitivity of new engines to said deposits.

Am I concerned about Pure Plus's higher NOACK? Not really. Mobil 1 NOACK (5W-30) still around 10.1. The cleanliness of the piston rings & grooves, as well as direct injector nozzle, is of far more importance to me than splitting volatility hairs.

Don't you guys (& gals) thinks?

You lurked here for a while so you already know that there are some very knowledgeable posters and there are few strolls. It is very easy to wheat out the strolls and take advices from the experts.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Welcome... my CI is 44. :)

Keep going, man!

P.S. - love the 440! my current engine is 5.7L HEMI

OK, I can't resist.
Operating Cylinders Index:
6+8+8+8+1=31
Total Cylinders Index:
31+12+12+6+6+4+4+1+1=77

What color are the diesel engines you work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back