Question on Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
It may be worth it if people would leave the oil in their engine until it was worn out but most people won't do that. If you are going to change out the Amsoil at 4,500 miles you may as well have used a store brand conventional oil.

As one who only does 10K OCIs I agree that 4500 miles is not gaining another advantage of synthetic. However there is always other advantages to using a quality synthetic, like Amsoil, in sound engines.

I've done up to 13k OCI, (2 years ago)with M1 0w-40 in my 07' M-B e350. I don't do UOA's but the car is still running strong~although I have cut the OCI back to 10k, as I heard that was Mercedes updated mileage.

Well.. To anyone saying overrated..
This was first change of a customer of mines truck. Sample at 16k miles. Changed it at 20k miles.

Second time running AMSOIL sig series oil, this was at 26k miles at the time..

Not overrated but definitely overpriced for those who wish to abide by (most mfc) factory warranty oci limits. Out of warranty? Have at it.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Not overrated but definitely overpriced for those who wish to abide by (most mfc) factory warranty oci limits. Out of warranty? Have at it.

Even if you're in warranty, have at it. If oil is at fault, Amsoil will pay up. If dealer blames Amsoil, get it in writing and call Amsoil, they usually change their minds.

Originally Posted By: brandini

Even if you're in warranty, have at it. If oil is at fault, Amsoil will pay up. If dealer blames Amsoil, get it in writing and call Amsoil, they usually change their minds.

No thanks, don't need that headache.

That's the thing, you're not going without a warranty, you're just having coverage provided by Amsoil. If you're opposed to warranty coverage you wouldn't be buying a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
It may be worth it if people would leave the oil in their engine until it was worn out but most people won't do that. If you are going to change out the Amsoil at 4,500 miles you may as well have used a store brand conventional oil.

I agree with this. I use Amsoil DEO 5W-40 in my Dodge Ram diesel. Using Blackstone Labs UOAs, I'm extending my OCI upwards of 20k miles now. If I was changing it every 5k miles I would definitely use a less expensive oil.

People get really stupid when commenting on Amsoil fluids. I don't hear anyone ever mentioning "Why spend money on over priced and over rated Mobil 1 EP?" "Pennzoil Ultra is pointless, why not stick with conventional instead." Us Amsoil guys, we know what we want, anyone else who wants to use super store brand name oils, go for it, see if I care. Also, whenever people are recommending oils for a OP's question, more often than not, users will comment on others recommending Amsoil... you don't see us going out of our way recommending AGAINST some other user recommendation. I see this all the time, and maybe it should stop, everyone has their opinions/choices, let's just leave it at that and let the OP DECIDE. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Yes, like Kuato has stated, Amsoil REALLY isn't expensive, I am not sure where this myth has come from, so many on here are yelling it costs and arm and a leg when really, for what you are getting, cost the same, or less.

Last edited:
Amsoil Signature Series oil is excellent. If you run extended drains then it is equal to or is actually cheaper than other synthetics. My only complaint is they don't offer oil in discount 5qt. jugs like other synthetics.

What did I do? I don't have a dog in this fight. I've long said that Amsoil's HDD is my benchmark. I've never seen an oil produce such great UOA trends as that oil.

I just blazed through the posts, if the OP is doing 4500 mile OCI any synthetic chosen will be underutilized.

There's no reason for most all of us to use anything but off-the-shelf M1 or P4. It just seems like new guys Google "synthetic oil" and the first 40 pages is Amsoil so that must be the best.

As for anyone expecting warranty from anybody, forget it. Pony up and move on.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
84zmyfavorite: I have to introduce you to OilChanger!

Where is the like button?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
What did I do?
Originally Posted By: aa1986
84zmyfavorite: I have to introduce you to OilChanger!

It appears that the comments by 84zmyfavorite that made me think of you have been deleted, along with him.

That's the thing, you're not going without a warranty, you're just having coverage provided by Amsoil. If you're opposed to warranty coverage you wouldn't be buying a new vehicle.

I think his point is that when one has a repair while under warranty, one has to take it to the dealer, and not Amsoil. Personally, I wouldn't fret about using Amsoil at all, but if one is going to follow OEM recommendations to the letter, I'm not going to find fault with that.

All reputable oil companies provide a warranty. After all, if an oil does fail in service for which it's specified, the oil company is liable. I suspect, however, that automakers spend a lot more money on engine repairs under warranty than do any of the oil companies.

FWIW I have never seen one documented case of a dealer even asking what oil is in a vehicle. Insuring that the oil was changed at recommended intervals, yeah. But not what brand or even what viscosity. There are numerous threads on here indicating that the dealer only made sure the oil was fresh before processing the claim.

For those concerned about warranty coverage, if your engine fails under warranty it was going to fail anyway and it was certainly not due to having Amsoil in the sump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back