Ultra gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the 'Murica (patriotic or nationalistic - whatever you want to call it) view some have on Walmart, but at the end of the day, I have to go with a combination of product quality and what my wallet agrees with. If the product in question is located at Walmart, so be it.

With regards to PU, you can punch in different zip codes on their website to see what stores sell them if you travel anywhere. For me, I used to pick it up locally, but it's no longer sold locally, so whenever I ride out to Eastern NC, I can find it readily available out there.

I don't understand the Walmart hate either. I have always shopped where I could get the best price on what I am buying. Sure not going to pay more for oil just because I may not want to go to Walmart. But if someone wants to pay more, I say go for it.

Ok...

This just turned from a PU thread to a Walmart one in 4 hours and two pages. LOL

12.gif

Originally Posted By: BigD7
So Pennzoil ultra has pretty much disappeared from stores here in NY. Is anyone aware of any websites (other than Amazon) where it can be purchased at a reasonable price? Walmart wont even sell it online anymore. Thanks in advance

Time to get something else now, huh? That's what I did. I haven't seen any online price that's worth it. The old formula PU 5W-20 is all I used in my Subaru until it phased out. Locally, only Pep Boys sell a variety of PUP by the quart and I refuse to buy @ $10 each.

I've never seen the newer version of Ultra in my area and only see Platinum PP these days with the originals of both no longer available.

The way I look at WalMart is that I get a 5 qt. jug of PP for $25 versus $37.95 at AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Kragen, etc. If I patronize those types of stores repeatedly then I become closer to the government-assistance needing WalMart employees while the AutoZone et al stock rises.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I've never seen the newer version of Ultra in my area and only see Platinum PP these days with the originals of both no longer available.

Yes in my area Ultra is really hard to find, ANYWHERE! If you can find it in stock it is (IMHO) outrageously high priced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I don't do Walmart...

But I have never seen Ultra at any of my other regular places I buy oil. Not Costco, Fred Meyers, Bi-Mart, O'Reilly, Napa, Autozone.

It's the Vaporware of Motor Oil

I've used PP several times and it works great, and Mobil 1 is always available at any of the places I shop.

Really?
Our Forester is on its second run of this vaporware and I have three more jugs of it in the garage.
Best of all, all of it was FAR after coupons and MIRs.
Walmart and SOPUS treated me very well in my purchases of Ultra.
I do have quite a bit more FAR PP and QSUD, though, thanks to Walmart and SOPUS.

Just picked up some PUP at the Walmart in Bedford, VA tonight for $27.97. I have a $25 MIR for it from the Pennzoil Warranty offer.

Luckily I still have 4 jugs of the old Ultra SM that I got on clearance a few years ago for 3-4 bucks each
I don't understand why the platinum replaced Ultra

I haven't touched my 20+ 5 qt jug stash of Ultra yet. Maybe 1. Used up some platinum because of the cold flow properties during the winter, might use up some of the odds and ends 10w-30 Ultra during the coming summer. Haven't seen any of the PU lately, but haven't been looking either. Been bumping into PUP intermittently at WalMart, but have no desire for something that has been turned into a lesser quality product because of some marketing gimmick. But with current stash levels, I might not begin regular PU usage until next summer, still have other stashed oils to get rid of first except when the superior qualities of PU might be needed (WINTER!).

Last edited:
Sure wish the WalMarts in central Washington carried Ultra, would Love to get 5Quart jugs(mmmm,...BigJugs) of that stuff. My stash(10w-30) has All come from VatoZone oil change specials. Not a very big stash, i think only 15 quarts. Now my GC stash is another story...

Last edited:
There's no need anymore, now that M1 0W-40 comes in the larger containers.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Imagine 5 Quart Jugs of GC....

I have not been able to find the Ultra 5W-30 locally. My Nissan 370Z responds very well to it according to the Blackstone reports. So I buy 2 cases of 6 at a time from Amazon which is a year's worth of oil changes. It is currently $36.77 for a case of 6 with free shipping. My previous favorite, Redline is now $126.02 for 12 qts vs. $73.54 for 12 qts of Ultra. I think I'll order a couple more cases tonight and have it on my doorstep in a few days. Some of you guys just aren't trying hard enough....

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I get M1 cheaper at Costco than I could at Walmart anyway...

Costco treats their employees much better than Grandpa Walton, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back