Jeep/Fiat Cherokee 9-Speed trans problematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been rummaging about researching possible alternatives to the Forester again. (I know, I'm a tire kicker...). I just really want an auto trans after living with a clutch for 7 yrs. Anyhow, really like the alien faced Jeep Cherokee. A baser Sport 4WD would be right in my price range and even allow enough margin to lose the steel wheels and Firestone's and put on a decent after market rim/tire combo. Yeah I know its a pooch w/ the 184hp engine but I woudln't be getting it to race in the stop light derby.

However, after some sniffing around on the Jeep forums there seem to be widespread problems with the 9-Speed auto trans. Failures at less than 1000 miles on new Cherokee's requiring a complete replacement transmission be installed. People lemon lawing their car over repeated attempts to resolve transmission problems.

Anyone know if Fiat-Chrysler has resolved this yet?

The new Cherokee is really growing on me as well. The 184 hp engine should be more than enough...my '08 CR-V with its 166 hp is plenty for doing what it needs to do, including towing my small utility trailer.

Regarding the transmission, do you know if the problems are mechanical with the transmission? It's made by ZF, and is actually used in a lot of different applications, including a number of Chryslers, Fiats, Hondas, and Land Rovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

I read once they re-flash it the transmission is good. But then again I've read a lot of conflicting things in my own search for a new vehicle. I'm a tire kicker too!

Yes, there have been quite some recalls on this transmission, whatever car it is in.

Chrysler more than others as they are the first users and in a lot of cars, but you can hear of problem with this transmission in Hondas too, so it is not a car manufacturer's problem, but a ZF's problem.

I don't know if that has been resolved yet.

These transmissions get to be extremely complicated I feel and in the first years of introduction can be problematic. The new GM 8 speed has also had some issues in the new Silverado - reflash or replacement in some of the first production.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The world is waiting for the early adopters to finish the field testing.

A big +1 on that.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Been rummaging about researching possible alternatives to the Forester again. (I know, I'm a tire kicker...). I just really want an auto trans after living with a clutch for 7 yrs. Anyhow, really like the alien faced Jeep Cherokee. A baser Sport 4WD would be right in my price range and even allow enough margin to lose the steel wheels and Firestone's and put on a decent after market rim/tire combo. Yeah I know its a pooch w/ the 184hp engine but I woudln't be getting it to race in the stop light derby.

However, after some sniffing around on the Jeep forums there seem to be widespread problems with the 9-Speed auto trans. Failures at less than 1000 miles on new Cherokee's requiring a complete replacement transmission be installed. People lemon lawing their car over repeated attempts to resolve transmission problems.

Go with a Forester. I did as an eventual replacement for my Jeep. My wife uses it now when it snows.

Originally Posted By: TTAC
Let’s put it all together now. To save space and increase efficiency, the 9HP uses two multi-plate clutch elements, two friction brakes and two electronically synchronized dog clutches. (The 8HP uses two brakes and three multi-plate clutches.) The way the gearsets are arranged inside the case, shifts from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 involve only the traditional friction brake and clutch elements. As you would expect, aside from 1st being fairly low and somewhat distant from 2nd, these shifts feel perfectly “normal.” Under hard acceleration there is a momentary reduction in engine torque (courtesy of the computer to reduce clutch wear) and the shift occurs quickly and smoothly. The shift from 4-5 however is different. The transmission has to disengage dog clutch “A” in addition to engaging a friction clutch. This shift takes slightly longer than the 3-4 shift and the car’s computer makes a drastic reduction in torque to prevent wear of the dog teeth. Shifts 5-6 and 6-7 again happen with the only the friction elements at which point we need to disconnect the final dog clutch for gears 8 and 9 so we get the same kind of torque reduction in those shifts. The result is a transmission that has two distinct “feels” to its shifts, one that has only a slight torque reduction (1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 5-6, 6-7, 8-9) and one that has a more “manual transmission” feel where torque is cut severely (4-5 and 7-8).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02...s-on-the-leash/

Dog clutches in an automatic? ZF/FCA went way over their head with this slushbox.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Go with a Forester. I did as an eventual replacement for my Jeep. My wife uses it now when it snows.

My GF just traded in her 2002 Forester for a 2011 Edge and she loves the Edge much better.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Donald

My GF just traded in her 2002 Forester for a 2011 Edge and she loves the Edge much better.

Not sure you can compare a 2002 Forester and a 2015. Consumer Reports gave the Forester high marks.

I have a 2014 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 w/V6 and love it. The transmission was smooth shifting from the beginning and the reflash made it better. The 4cyl was fine in city driving, but on the highway it is a dog. Plus, avg. gas mileage is around 22 mixed and have gotten 31.5 highway.

Latemodel Forester's run circles around Chrysler's products, both in customer satisfaction, higher resale value, and lower cost of insurance, overall cost of maintenance, and lower 5 year cost to own valuations.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The world is waiting for the early adopters to finish the field testing.

A big +1 on that.

Yeah.... but its been out a pretty long time now. I sure wouldn't buy one of the early production ones, though. Reflash or not...

Consider a Ford Edge instead.

I want something I can take off-road once in a while. Most fun I ever had with the Forester was off-roading the sand dunes at Silver Lake State Park in Michigan. Still have the 9' flag pole w/ little orange flag that they make you fix to the front of your vehicle. Saw a few Ford Explorers but not one Edge. Lots of Jeeps !!

ZF designed this tranny but Chryseler purchased the rights to builf it in their own factory in Kokomo, IN. I have not heard other problems with the ZF branded tranny in VW and BMW. There are alot more plastic parts in this tranny than I like to see.

I rented a Cherokee a week ago, drove it for a week and put around 500 mi. on it. I am not sure if it was an '14 or '15 but it had 24,000 mi. on it. I despise any Chrysler/Fiat products, but I was quite impressed with how it drove. It was equipped with the v-6 and had ample power. The transmission annoyed me as it shifted constantly with cruise control set driving on relatively flat terrain (Florida).

The car itself was somewhat quirky, when the windshield needed rinsed there was quite a delay before the wipers wiped, leaving a period of time when I couldn't see. I didn't like the climate control as it had an automatic function but no temp numbers, just warmer/colder. It did very well in the fuel economy department and very easily broke the tires loose on several occasions, unintentionally hurrying right on red turns.

I concur that ANYTHING 2011+ is better then 2002 Forester except in decent AWD. The first gen Forester was economy car based and feeling, cheap, tinny, loud amongst other things with incredible AWD traction. My parents have a 2000 Forester with 200k that is trouble free but miserable when I get a ride. All of them were the same first gen including RAV4, Forester, CRV and escape. Nothing you would want now as they were overgrown economy cars jury rigged with AWD (except Forester that design to core to be AWD).

Ford Edge though IMHO is an outdated platform tracing it roots back to 2006. Why buy an old CUV design that was not the best to start with just decent then and now falling behind if going for brand new like the OP. I get used market for bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back