Why Does Mobil conventional have Ti but Not Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole subject of WHO uses titanium (Ti) anti-wear (AW) additives in which oil has got me a little puzzled. I know Castrol synthetics all use some, although its less PPM, than Kendall GT-1 semi-syn. Then, Ti shows up in Mobil Super conventional cheap stuff!

Not in Mobil1 synthetic though. Wha-huh?

Exactly how I feel. I do not like oils that have titanium or sodium add packs. Coincidently, it seems like all the top shelf oils do not contain these elements. Don't have the answer to your question but you're not alone in this observation.

I can only imagine the brainiacs at Exxon-Mobil (XOM)tossed in a little Ti AW additive when their cheap Group II basestock conventional oil didn't get the wear results they wanted ---> Problem solved. And thats why Mobil 1 synthetics don't need Ti, since its Group III+IV. Speculation, wish I had insider info.

Also, I know Infineum is owned by Shell-Pennz-Quaker SOPUS & XOM jointly, who supplies some key additives to them, yet, who is licensing the Ti additive to XOM? Kendall and Castrol get their form of it from somewhere (anybody know who holds which patents?).

The short answer from what I can tell is...

Mobil uses Titanium in their conventional oil as an anti-wear additive. In their Mobil Super Synthetic and Mobil 1 there is almost no Titanium but they use Molybdenum in both as an anti-wear additive (which isn't in their conventional).

Wait, don't know how I missed this: Afton Chemical may own this Ti business. Maybe other owners of other forms of it.

Despite how some oils with Titanium are marketed, it's my general understanding that Titanium is a less expensive anti-wear additive compared with others, such as Molybdenum.

Interesting observation, one I made awhile back. If Mobil is using Ti in their lesser performing oils, then that tells me something. All of the top tier oils are using tri nulcear moly, not Ti.

Na additive systems seem to be more common in less costly oils such as Napa, Valvoline and other less commonly known brands.

One thing cool is said in this http://www.azonano.com/news.aspx?newsID=6907 tech article:

"Mechanical tests of an organic titanium compound at Afton demonstrated that it provided superior wear resistance when added to a fully formulated engine oil"

The additive bottle makers should use this since it can be used on top of regular motor oil and not interfere.

Ok. what's the exact TiXxXx compound? I don't think Id want hard metals - post decomp - in my CC, valve seat or converter or on a plug thread.

"... a titanium salt of a non-linear carboxylic acid..."

Here's the AFTON Patent App:

http://www.google.com/patents/US7615519

Read about the complexity of oil formulating/compounding until your li'l heads explode
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yes; MS5K has a titanium and sodium based additive pack and while it is cost effective, that does not mean it is not good oil or that it cannot compete with even more expensive oils. In my UOAs it held its own against the mighty Pennzoil Ultra even when MS5K was ran for more miles than PU under the same operating conditions. I would put MS5K against any conventional oil on the market today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back