Honda snowblower HS929 ..no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 9hp Honda decided not to start yesterday. Pulled the plug to check for spark and nothing.
Its just an on-off switch and a pull start. Any ideas I can check before the dealer has to pick it up. This thing has tracks, so it would be better if I could fix it at home.
Thanks, Rob

The spark generator module must be at a specific distance from the flywheel and is held in place by bolts which ride in adjustment slots. The spacing is critical. The on off switch shorts the spark to ground and should measure OPEN for run. Was the plug wet with gas when pulled?

My first thought would be a bad ignition module. They're not terribly expensive, but some quick diagnosis of the switch (see HerrStig's post above) will determine if the switch is allowing it to run in the first place.

The repair book says to disconnect the on-off switch engine wire to check the switch. Still no spark after that.
Tried a new plug and still no spark. I bought it new 10-15 years ago And it always has run great and garage kept.

the logical "guess" is the coil assembly. do you have an ohm meter? if so, check both the primary and secondary for continuity

I would throw parts at it before I had a dealer pickup a 10-15 year old machine. Have you tried to check the spark by holding spark plug wire near a ground?

if it's a newer honda with a capacitive discharge type coil, my guess is it went bad. I have a northstar generator with honda engine and the CD coil went bad on me within 1 hour of use brand new and the $75 replacement was bad out of the box. i converted it to the old style coil which cost $10 and has been fine since.
if you are under warranty then hopefully it costs you nothing, but it might cost a lot of time sitting at a shop waiting for warranty approval. my generator sat 2 months before i took it back and fixed myself.
changing the coil is not hard, you need a handful of metric tools and need to get flywheel cover off, but to get flywheel cover off you need to undo carburetor and handful of other things. putting a replacement coil and even a different coil in is not hard, and getting the spacing between coil and flywheel is not critical. i would look up the replacement coil online for your model/serial of engine and see if it comes up as a CD coil. if it does, you can buy a new one for around $70 and take your chances or you can consider substituting it with a traditional non-CD coil that costs less than $20 and lasts forever. and if a shop does the work and it is the coil which they replace with another CD coil, see what the warranty is on that part and labor. there is a way to check the CD coil in the newer honda engines having them, there's supposed to be an ohm reading between wires coming off the coil, if it's an open circuit it's bad. i have an older hs928ta btw.

Its about 10-15 years old. I'll get a chance tomorrow to go to the dealer and talk to them. I'm sure a new coil and plug wire cap will be the next to go on.

Check the coil with an ohm meter.

Had a rototiller once the mice ate off the high voltage insulation from the coil wire under the flywheel.

It was the coil. I was just waiting for a nice day to do the job. Started on the first pull!
My 25 year old John Deere SB14 lawn mower started on the second pull after sitting in the outside shed all winter.
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back