Conventional PSU fluid to synthetic caused leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have all read of stories here where changing engine oil from conventional to synthetic resulted in leaks in older cars. Anyone here with experience where PSU fluid change to fully synthetic resulted in seal leakage?

Yes, i changed my 99 Taurus over from Mercon V to Mobil 1 ATF and it ended up shooting so fast out the RACK that i couldn't drive it 1 mile without the reservoir running dry. It was fine before i started flushing it, i should have left the old [censored] fluid be!

PSU = Power Steering Unit?

I have Amsoil ATF in all my cars, none leak oil, and before replacement, it was OEM fluid with 130-182K miles...

Originally Posted By: berniedd
We have all read of stories here where changing engine oil from conventional to synthetic resulted in leaks in older cars. Anyone here with experience where PSU fluid change to fully synthetic resulted in seal leakage?

I would add another question to this. I think it's important to ask what the mileage of the vehicle was, and what the previous PS maintenance was on the vehicle before switching to synthetic and experiencing leaks.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Did it meet Honda's spec? IIRC, they need a specific fluid.

correct, Prestone Honda power steering fluid is like $2.50ish per bottle at walmart, I used that on my civic with 179k miles on the original fluid, and I didn't experience any leaks...

If it's Honda, just stick with the Honda spec fluid.
You will be fine.

If this was something that took anything else, it would be a topic of discussion.
Honda's are very specific, use only a certified fluid designed specifically for that application.

An analysis of Honda PSF reads like a dedicated Manual Trnasmission fluid and in terms of viscosity, it is a 10W30.

Prestone PSF is most likely the closest third-party PSF for Honda.

An analysis of Honda PSF reads like a dedicated Manual Trnasmission fluid and in terms of viscosity, it is a 10W30.

Prestone PSF is most likely the closest third-party PSF for Honda.

If you PP pump calls for an ATF then NO. I have switched from conventional ATF to M1 ATF for the last 25 years and have never had a leak because of it. In fact I have never had a pump failure with M1 ATF. So far. However I did have to replace a line due to a slight leak, but that was several years after using M1.

With Honda Power Steering Fluid, you'll want to stick to Honda PSF. I had noise issues before with a 92 Prelude, 94, 95 and 97 Civic's using non-Honda ATF equivalent when I was younger. We didn't care for the noise back then as we were poor college kids, knew less about cars, and the cars we had needed a lot of work and were noisy in the engine bay in general.

Last edited:
Why would you change your psf? I don't mess with that. Sill original fill after 12 years. If it acts up, I'll deal with it but I'm not going to replace it as part of PM.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why would you change your psf? I don't mess with that. Sill original fill after 12 years. If it acts up, I'll deal with it but I'm not going to replace it as part of PM.

Because, like any hydraulic fluid, it is subject to heat, moisture, oxidation, and additive death.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Because, like any hydraulic fluid, it is subject to heat, moisture, oxidation, and additive death.

I just changed mine yesterday. I kept meaning to do so, but kept putting it off. The original fluid was from a 2001 Tahoe with only 82,000 miles. The fluid was almost black in the jar used to suction the old out. Never again will I let my vehicles go this long or as many miles.

Does anyone know if Prestone asian power steering fluid will work as a substitute for my Toyota MR2 Spyder as it uses a specific fluid from Toyota for an electro-hydraulic power unit? I'm curious if there would be a white paper on this topic. Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally Posted By: Cosmos
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I just changed mine yesterday. I kept meaning to do so, but kept putting it off. The original fluid was from a 2001 Tahoe with only 82,000 miles. The fluid was almost black in the jar used to suction the old out. Never again will I let my vehicles go this long or as many miles.

The fluid in my cars is black, too. I'm not worried about it; it functions fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back