Castrol Power RS V-twin 4T Oil - Harley???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Would you pay more for an experienced surgeon to operate on you, or go with the cheaper guy that just got the diploma? The both say they can do it,..

I was talking about bidding. My wife works for a company that bids on gov't contracts all the time. All things being equal, the low bidder usually gets the contract, providing they are able to meet all the specifications. Now, a private job is a different story.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
My only point to my other post (above) in this thread is Harley STATES to use a Diesel rated oil of CH-4 or better if not using their HD 360 oil.

SO if you are to stay in the guidelines of what is recommended Amsoil does sell a 20/50 CH4, CI4 and CJ4 20/50 oil. This meets Harleys recommended oil.
I do not know anyone else who does in a 20/50 and would be thrilled if someone can post other oils that meet that classification. You can buy any number of 15/40 rated CH4 or better but in my climate there is no question I want the 20/50.

This is ONLY for anyone who wants to use the oil rating for EXACTLY what Harley recommends. I am SURE any 20/50 quality oil including the motorcycle oils are fine but if you want to be technical I have not found any other then Amsoil with a CH4 or better classification that Harley requires in the owners manual. Being my bike is under warranty and I save the oil receipts in case of engine trouble my receipts will read I am using the oil classification that they state to use.

Does it matter? Most likely not, but Im a perfectionist ... ha ha. I also assume HD knows what is best for their engines.
Here's something to ponder. Look up a VOA of Harley's oil here. Then Look up a UOA of Valvolines VR-1 oil. The used oil will still have higher levels of additives then Harley's new oil. If Harley knows best, why is that?. Harley is one of the only oils I've seen with high levels of Boron, from which I've heard does the same job as zinc, only cheaper to use.If your looking for the best results, you would be wise to do some research rather then taking Harley's word as gospel when it come down to which oil is better for YOUR investment. A product made by the lowest bidder won't turn in the highest results.,,

Hmmm .. you say a lot about additives, bidders, Boron and gospel but the point is lets stick to the UOAs and recommended oil type, no smoke and mirrors please.

Conventional HD360 turns in good numbers, not a lot recent of UOAs but there is one Harley owner who has documented 8 UOAs 2 of the fills were with HD 360 conv, the rest Amsoil. Forget the make up of the oil and look at the wear numbers, they were amazingly close. Close enough to call it splitting hairs, even by the poster. So just because a motorcycle maker brands an oil does not make it bad.
HD 360 turns good numbers.

2. Harleys word is gospel? Huh? You seem biased against them. What I am saying, do you say the same thing about other engine makers that recommend a "C" rated oil for their engine?

3. AS far as other oils, VR1 is the one to beat in a Harley engine as far as wear, so far I think. I see someone else recommended Kendal too. I have no problem with those, I also posted a great UOA back in 2012 on a Valvoline 20/50 MC oil. I have become a Valvoline fan.
I will post UOAs on the HD 360, wont be to much help as engine is still breaking in.

4. My only post was to see if others knew of 20/50 "C" rated oil because that is what the maker recommends. I kind of think if Ducati recommended a "c" rated oil one would not be saying to not take it as Gospel *L* IN fact I suspect people would be falling over themselves talking about switching to a "C" rated oil. (someone else did post one, thank you)

I know that is HDs problem, always being at the top invites criticism.

Last edited:
Oops .. PS ... :eek:)

You also discredit (to some degree) the use of Boron, why?

If you stroll over the the Diesel UOAs you will find a few companies use Boron but who is to say it is inferior in anyway (or cheaper) since the conventional Harley 360 oil beats and matches many synthetic oils when it comes to wear. I think Delo is also a big user of it, as well as others.
It very well maybe why HD wants "C" rated oil ... it also maybe not, but what difference does it make is my point.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
ugh... I hit reply on my own post and for some reason I cant delete this one.

"Two minutes. You feel shame, then you get free..."

John.

yea ... do that a lot .. *L*

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Mystik Oil sells a 15w50 semi synthetic HDEO that is CJ4 rated.

But from what I have seen the VR1 and Kendall GT1 20w50 racing oils beat it in the oil analysis department. It is however sublimely cheap.

Thanks ...

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Even if you're the low bidder, you still have an obligation to meet the requirements or the terms of the contract.

Well said ... and no different then the makers of very expensive or exotic oils who may purchase their base oils from certain companies. T

There can be something said of where Harley oil comes from though. It is known to be from Citgo(so is Mystik). So if all the "love" we in the USA get from Venezuela bugs you, you may want to avoid those products as that is their nationalized oil company.

Alarmguy, you seem to really believe Harley's oil is the best to use and you can use it if you want. Their oil is nothing special for a premium price, that you equate to being the best.If their oil was truly the best, the rest of the Harley oil buying public would realize this and buy it also. But I have never heard of anyone that buys Harley oil for their, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, or Honda. But they will use a variety of the popular brand oils, just like alot of Harley owners do. Why do you think that is? Also have you given any thought to why Harley would recommend a cheaper diesel oil to be put in a Harley if their oil wasn't available? They themselves know it will do the job. If there was a chance it would harm a Harley motor, do you think they would cover it under warranty? My point is their oil will work, it just costs too much for what you are getting. Especially an oil that has not been tested for performance by anyone but the people that made it.,,

Cahuna, if you reread my post I do not say Harley oil is the best, I said it turns in good numbers. I made a statement that in Harley engines Valvoline VR1 seems to be the one to beat.
I assume most people with cars, trucks and motorcycles try to use the class oil recommended by the manufacturer while under warranty, even though it would be hard to prove if engine failure occurs, in this case HD recommends a "C" rated oil.
As far as a cheaper diesel oil I'm not sure where that comes from as it is required for much heavy duty machinery and would void warranties if automobile oil was used. Amsoil sells a 20/50 diesel and its not cheap at $11.00 a quart, also recommended for motorcycles, transmissions and primaries.

Your defense of Harley oil says you believe it to be the best, proper, and only oil that should be used, says it all. As far as under warranty goes,the magnesson moss act states you don't have to be forced into using any brand of oil. Especially if the vehicle manufacturer say so, or they have to supply it for free. You can use whatever oil under warranty that meets the mfgrs specs.Being they don't state anything beside to use their oil or diesel oil,they can't prove anything except the additive package on just about any 20/50 wt is better then Harleys.And if you can tear yourself away from the dealer, go to a auto zone or O'reillys and price what oil sells for. The recommended "diesel" oils are in the $12-$16 a gallon range. Cheaper when there on sale. When was the last time you saw a Harley oil on sale? $9 and up a qt isn't a deal for middle of the road oil. And here's a news flash, Amsoil for $11 a qt isn't that great a deal. Just about any 20/50 oil will do what that oil does.,,,

Last edited:
alarmguy:

One of your post got me to thinking, so I went and searched for a readily available 20W50 oil that is also CH rated. You're right, I couldn't find one. There are lots of motorcycle specific 20W50 oils, Mobil V-Twin, Valvoline, etc, but they only meet the CF spec, which is obsolete. Now this got me thinking, maybe Harley specs CH for a reason. They know none of the other motorcycle specific oils meet this spec. Since they only recommend their oil or one meeting the CH spec, you're kind of stuck with their oil if you want a 20W50. So maybe, just maybe, it's all a marketing ploy. Just something to think about.

My only point to my other post (above) in this thread is Harley STATES to use a Diesel rated oil of CH-4 or better if not using their HD 360 oil.

SO if you are to stay in the guidelines of what is recommended Amsoil does sell a 20/50 CH4, CI4 and CJ4 20/50 oil. This meets Harleys recommended oil.
I do not know anyone else who does in a 20/50 and would be thrilled if someone can post other oils that meet that classification. You can buy any number of 15/40 rated CH4 or better but in my climate there is no question I want the 20/50.

This is ONLY for anyone who wants to use the oil rating for EXACTLY what Harley recommends. I am SURE any 20/50 quality oil including the motorcycle oils are fine but if you want to be technical I have not found any other then Amsoil with a CH4 or better classification that Harley requires in the owners manual. Being my bike is under warranty and I save the oil receipts in case of engine trouble my receipts will read I am using the oil classification that they state to use.

Does it matter? Most likely not, but Im a perfectionist ... ha ha. I also assume HD knows what is best for their engines.
Here's something to ponder. Look up a VOA of Harley's oil here. Then Look up a UOA of Valvolines VR-1 oil. The used oil will still have higher levels of additives then Harley's new oil. If Harley knows best, why is that?. Harley is one of the only oils I've seen with high levels of Boron, from which I've heard does the same job as zinc, only cheaper to use.If your looking for the best results, you would be wise to do some research rather then taking Harley's word as gospel when it come down to which oil is better for YOUR investment. A product made by the lowest bidder won't turn in the highest results.,,

Hmmm .. you say a lot about additives, bidders, Boron and gospel but the point is lets stick to the UOAs and recommended oil type, no smoke and mirrors please.

Conventional HD360 turns in good numbers, not a lot recent of UOAs but there is one Harley owner who has documented 8 UOAs 2 of the fills were with HD 360 conv, the rest Amsoil. Forget the make up of the oil and look at the wear numbers, they were amazingly close. Close enough to call it splitting hairs, even by the poster. So just because a motorcycle maker brands an oil does not make it bad.

2. Harleys word is gospel? Huh? You seem biased against them. What I am saying, do you say the same thing about other engine makers that recommend a "C" rated oil for their engine?

3. AS far as other oils, VR1 is the one to beat in a Harley engine as far as wear, so far I think. I see someone else recommended Kendal too. I have no problem with those, I also posted a great UOA back in 2012 on a Valvoline 20/50 MC oil. I have become a Valvoline fan.
I will post UOAs on the HD 360, wont be to much help as engine is still breaking in.

4. My only post was to see if others knew of 20/50 "C" rated oil because that is what the maker recommends. I kind of think if Ducati recommended a "c" rated oil one would not be saying to not take it as Gospel *L* IN fact I suspect people would be falling over themselves talking about switching to a "C" rated oil. (someone else did post one, thank you)

And what numbers would those be,since used oil analysis is meant to test the oils condition.
As been posted by real experts a used oil analysis is not an accurate nor is it meant to monitor wear,and using it as such is foolish and shows lack of any real knowledge since time and time again the truth gets posted here and guys ignore it.
So how's the TBN in those analysis,coolant intrusion(air cooled engine)

I use rotella t at 3000 mile intervals in my highly modified 106 ci street Bob. Have for 2 seasons now. Use it in my primary too.
I'll never spend big bucks again on oil. I don't run it long enough to justify the expense.

Last edited:
Your defense of Harley oil says you believe it to be the best, proper, and only oil that should be used, says it all. As far as under warranty goes,the magnesson moss act states you don't have to be forced into using any brand of oil. Cheaper when there on sale. ..... When was the last time you saw a Harley oil on sale? $9 and up a qt isn't a deal for middle of the road oil. And here's a news flash, Amsoil for $11 a qt isn't that great a deal. Just about any 20/50 oil will do what that oil does.,,,

Ummm, it's all in my posts and not sure what you are going on about, except for some reason you seem to have a thing against Harley, who is defending them is beyond me, not sure why you are going out of your way to create an issue that does not exist, unless your just kidding around.
You keep bring up stuff that's been said, even the Moss act for no reason, no one said you have to use Harley oil and Harley is NOT saying you have to use their oil either, so why all this I have no idea.
Harley like ALL motorvechicle makers do state an oil classification to use, simple as that and sure anyone reading these posts understands that, not sure why you don't. Harley requires a "C" rated oil. Sorry bud but the 20/50 you reference is not "C" rated is not easily found.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you, it maybe marketing ploy or maybe what they feel best, Amsoil sells 20/50 and someone just mentioned another oil, 15/50 Mystic and without question you can use ANY cheap conventional diesel 15/40. It's right in the owners manual. I personally like the 20/50 in my bikes.
As far as marketing, at one time Yami only list 20/40 as acceptable and currently I think Polaris only 20/40. I,m not 100 percent sure on the Polaris.
Let not forget the largest maker of Marine engines, Mecury insists on their oil.
There maybe something to it, there may not be, I'm not as concerned about cost, IF its within reason, $32 a gallon for Harley oil to me is acceptable but I think there is better out there, just don't know if its worth it, I am not to concerned about $10 if I was I wouldn't have bought a Harley. Or do I go overboard for Amsoil full syn rated C oil, no doubt it's a fine oil too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

And what numbers would those be,since used oil analysis is meant to test the oils condition.
As been posted by real experts a used oil analysis is not an accurate nor is it meant to monitor wear,and using it as such is foolish and shows lack of any real knowledge since time and time again the truth gets posted here and guys ignore it.
So how's the TBN in those analysis,coolant intrusion(air cooled engine)

I use rotella t at 3000 mile intervals in my highly modified 106 ci street Bob. Have for 2 seasons now. Use it in my primary too.
I'll never spend big bucks again on oil. I don't run it long enough to justify the expense.

I don't, never have spent big bucks on oil, just trying to find a oil that meets the C classification in a 20/50 that the motorcycle maker states. My past bikes were Rotella 15/40 but my hot climate made we want and to like the 20/50 so switched to $4 a quart Valvoline Conventional Motorcycle oil in my Vstar 1300. Great UOA on it too.
Now I have a bike that actually requires a C oil so I am looking around for what available in 20/50s. Ton of 15/40s out there and that is acceptable to Harley as well.

Again no controversy here, just looking for a C rated oil the manufacturer states to use in the owners manual. What you are putting in your bike is one of the recommended oils 15/40 C rated. I would just like to find an equal in a 20/50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bruckus
Getting ready for spring. I will soon be changing the oil in my 2013 Harley Roadglide. Thinking of trying some 20W-50 Castrol Power RS V-twin 4T synthetic oil. Anybody running this? Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

I am using the Castrol 4t 10w50 in my Triumph Thunderbird. It's fine. But for a HD Twin Cam I liked Redline 20w50 or Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1
Another C-Rated 20w-50.

Thanks, also just looked a bit more into that Mystic 15/50 mentioned by someone is thus thread, part synthetic, good price and same company as the Harley oil, Citgo. It very well maybe close to Harley's synthetic. Would be nice to find a UOA or VOA on it. It's made in the USA too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back