2014 Ford Fusion - tall folks need not apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Fusion, base model fleet car to drive through next week at work, no seat height adjust (that I've seen). Everytime I get out it tries to knock the sock cap off my head. I'm 6'02". Ingress/egress is not fun. Roof feels very low while driving, too. In normal mode, the transmission likes to lug the engine, but I understand its striving for fuel economy. Sport mode on the shifter wakes the car up and it seems to be the way the car was meant to be driven. Actually a little astounded by how low normal mode tended to lug the motor, can feel the low rpm shudder that lugging creates until you lean into the pedal with a lot more gusto to unlock the torque conv. Have no comparison as I've not driven any competitors in the class. Much better than the 2003 Impala hooptie I usually have....

Many sedans make you feel as if you're laying back because the roof is low. I don't like that, and can commiserate with you. That's why I choose vehicles with more upright seating positions.

That's one thing I love about smaller cars. Mid and full size cars seem to be low and sleek. Small cars are small and tall - and fit taller people better.

My Camry is very similar. I'm not that tall and with the seat at it's lowest position my head is surprisingly close to the headliner.

Plus one to the OP and the challenges of being tall and finding a car that is easy to get in and out of as well as drive around in. I am 604 and find most cars don't seem to be built for tall people who like to sit in a fairly upright position when driving.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
That's one thing I love about smaller cars. Mid and full size cars seem to be low and sleek. Small cars are small and tall - and fit taller people better.

I have noticed this too, a Versa towers over almost any midsize car and is almost as wide as well.

My Park Avenue, 2003, was great as well; I could wear a fedora (in cold weather) while at the wheel without hitting the headliner. And I usually didn't knock the hat on the doorframe while getting in and out, or putting the rear sunshade in place.

In contrast, the smaller '11 Regal has a pretty low roof, and I have to duck my head carefully if I'm wearing a hat. And I'm about 5'9".

So it's @ half a tank and on the way home I decide to hit the fleet fueling joint. Can't find the fill door release to save my [censored]. someone behind me waiting to be next so I gave up and left. I know... I can google it or whatever. No manual in the glove box. Better things to do at 5:15 on a Friday than sit at a pump island trying to match wits with some ergo-design engineer at FoMoCo.

That sort of thing annoys me, when they try to be clever and put things like the fuel fill door switch in obscure places.

Like the way it drives, looks, and handles though. Not a bad car over all.

Don't you just push the door in, and it pops out to open it?

I rented a new MKZ that seems to be similar to the Fusion.

Nice car but not big enough for me either.

concurring with the focus too, 6'0, entry/egress is absolutely terrible.

Do the Ford transmission sanity test, head down a steep hill at highway speed, put the transmission in Neutral and check the RPM difference as the speed changes.

For most cars it's only a few hundred RPM in gear versus out. For Fords it's all over the map and usually more than 1500RPM and tracks with speed. That's WAY more than "rpm matching".

No lever or switch to pull for the fusion. Just push on the door, rear center of it, and it will pop open.

We have a fleet of Fusion SE's at work. No issues with driver size, though we have the power seats. I'm 6'0" and have no complaints.

The owners manual shows the seat height should be adjustable even with the manual seats.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
No lever or switch to pull for the fusion. Just push on the door, rear center of it, and it will pop open.

We have a fleet of Fusion SE's at work. No issues with driver size, though we have the power seats. I'm 6'0" and have no complaints.

The owners manual shows the seat height should be adjustable even with the manual seats.

I agree with you. This thread is comprised of a 'tough crowd.'

Last edited:
I can't fit around t h e steering wheel in a fiesta. It's too low . I have to put the seat all the way back and recline it to get in

We have the '14 Fusions too. They are the base base model. I'm 6'4" and have driven many smallish cars. I can't comfortably fit into the Fusion. The seats can't be moved into a position that I can drive comfortably and there's no center arm rest, which is hugely annoying.

I convinced my way into a '14 Escape because of the issues. Way better car (go figure).

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
We have the '14 Fusions too. They are the base base model. I'm 6'4" and have driven many smallish cars. I can't comfortably fit into the Fusion. The seats can't be moved into a position that I can drive comfortably and there's no center arm rest, which is hugely annoying.

I convinced my way into a '14 Escape because of the issues. Way better car (go figure).

way more useful, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back