My Mos2 story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using this in my Nissan 240sx years ago with no negative results. I picked up a Nissan 300zx Z32 twin turbo for dirt cheap. I didn't realize the oil pressure gauge wasn't faulty, and the 0 oil pressure was near accurate. Lest we forget I drove the car home in rush hour with not a drop of coolant because I was told the gauge was faulty. Stupid me.

Took the car on a cross country road trip before I addressed the oil pressure problem. Used Rotella T6. Needless to say, I'm sure the top-end and turbos were shot. Sometime after, I went to two different track events and went through about 15 qts of oil each day. Ran dry for two laps by accident. Surprised it made it home. M1 20w50 was used at those events. I decided to retire the car to be my ultra-fun winter beater. Soon after, I could only boost to around 3psi, [from 9psi max] which looked to be turbo failure after further analysis.

Started filling with M1 0w40 and a [full] bottle of Mos2 every OCI, and my consumption slowed after about 6 months. The rear end of the car would have a thick film of soot. A year or so after that, I can't even burn a drop of oil. My rear bumper is always clean, and I have little oil in the intercoolers. Intercoolers used to pour milkey oil out every time I removed them. I'm venting my crankcase to my pre-turbo intakes. Boost progressively became stronger than ever until I could finally hit 17psi with ease at 3500rpms. The Z32 TT is already set-up for a bypass filter, so I installed one.

Obviously, after running dry multiple times on a twin turbo and driving on low oil pressure for almost a year, this engine was very noisy, and the vibrations were more than alarming. This also wasn't your typical grocery getter. Drove white knuckled most of the time in fear that the engine would finally lock up. Since I have been using Mos2, the engine has been getting progressively quieter, smoother running, quicker spooling and oil consumption has been.....0 drops in 6k. The car has seen conditions most race cars haven't seen, such as running WOT at 155mph down the straight in BIR with 0 oil in the sump. I would never have expected myself to feel more confident in my 92 300zx TT's [with 220k miles] reliability, than that of my 350z's. The car is daily driven, short trips, every single day.

Literally, I cannot get the sump to decrease, therefor I had to actually change the oil in the -15*f temps of MN. Darn you MoS2!

Disclaimer: this is not me telling you that Mos2 works. I'm providing data for your own analysis. I am personally convinced without a doubt. Results could have been the same without Mos2, however I believe it prevented catastrophic engine failure many times.

Last edited:
Crawfish, it was initially more of a track toy than anything. The engine was severely neglected by the previous owner and myself. Excessively exceeding severe driving conditions. At times I would encourage an engine failure so I could proceed with a V8 swap.

I want to emphasize the significant increase in oil pressure as well. My oil PSI has increased over time, with no restrictions in the oil feeds or return lines. Cold startups with 0w40 in 0*f has been ~120psi, 20psi hot @idle, and 65psi at 3k rpms hot.

I have never seen this happen, except with increased crankcase pressure. I have noticed very little blow-by while boosting in the past year.

I have also seen commuter cars have engine failures while being driven conservatively. This car has been driven the opposite.

After all the episodes of running it dry, WOT with no oil, no coolant for an hour or more, I quite frankly don't know what to think.

I hope you check fluid levels frequently in all your vehicles. Most engines would not take kindly to that kind of abuse you put it through.

I probably would have to witness those events you describe in person before I would really believe they actually did occur. Not saying you are fabricating or exaggerating anything, but I find it very, very hard to believe.

Anyhow, check the fluids in your other vehicles. You will need them soon I expect.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Is it April 1st yet?

My thought exactly. Metal doesn't grow back, engines don't "heal".

Unstuck varnished rings overtime-nothing to do with MoS2. May also have incidentally plugged up some turbo seal area leaks due to agglomeration.

I always buy a used everyman supercar with zero oil pressure and drive it home with no coolant
smile.gif
say what?!

Originally Posted By: Bigsyke
I started using this in my Nissan 240sx years ago with no negative results. I picked up a Nissan 300zx Z32 twin turbo for dirt cheap. I didn't realize the oil pressure gauge wasn't faulty, and the 0 oil pressure was near accurate. Lest we forget I drove the car home in rush hour with not a drop of coolant because I was told the gauge was faulty. Stupid me.

Took the car on a cross country road trip before I addressed the oil pressure problem. Used Rotella T6. Needless to say, I'm sure the top-end and turbos were shot. Sometime after, I went to two different track events and went through about 15 qts of oil each day. Ran dry for two laps by accident. Surprised it made it home. M1 20w50 was used at those events. I decided to retire the car to be my ultra-fun winter beater. Soon after, I could only boost to around 3psi, [from 9psi max] which looked to be turbo failure after further analysis.

Started filling with M1 0w40 and a [full] bottle of Mos2 every OCI, and my consumption slowed after about 6 months. The rear end of the car would have a thick film of soot. A year or so after that, I can't even burn a drop of oil. My rear bumper is always clean, and I have little oil in the intercoolers. Intercoolers used to pour milkey oil out every time I removed them. I'm venting my crankcase to my pre-turbo intakes. Boost progressively became stronger than ever until I could finally hit 17psi with ease at 3500rpms. The Z32 TT is already set-up for a bypass filter, so I installed one.

Obviously, after running dry multiple times on a twin turbo and driving on low oil pressure for almost a year, this engine was very noisy, and the vibrations were more than alarming. This also wasn't your typical grocery getter. Drove white knuckled most of the time in fear that the engine would finally lock up. Since I have been using Mos2, the engine has been getting progressively quieter, smoother running, quicker spooling and oil consumption has been.....0 drops in 6k. The car has seen conditions most race cars haven't seen, such as running WOT at 155mph down the straight in BIR with 0 oil in the sump. I would never have expected myself to feel more confident in my 92 300zx TT's [with 220k miles] reliability, than that of my 350z's. The car is daily driven, short trips, every single day.

Literally, I cannot get the sump to decrease, therefor I had to actually change the oil in the -15*f temps of MN. Darn you MoS2!

Disclaimer: this is not me telling you that Mos2 works. I'm providing data for your own analysis. I am personally convinced without a doubt. Results could have been the same without Mos2, however I believe it prevented catastrophic engine failure many times.

I'm choking on every one of those statements.

The story seems unbelievable, but i have seen scanning electron micrograph before and after images of bearing and gear surfaces treated with MOS2 in the lube, and with the moly plating on the rough, worn surfaces, a night and day difference was seen in these images. i think that the more severe the surface damage, then the larger difference the moly can make once it finishes plating. MOS2 plates up to around 45 molecular sheets thick max, if I remember correctly.

Mos2 is one of two of the only additives I actually use. Stuff works great for quieting down Ej25s and decreasing wear metals in my UOAs

I've had three Nissan Z's (on my third one at present) and these cars are virtually indestructible. That's great news about yours! I hope she keeps serving you well!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Is it April 1st yet?
My thought exactly. Metal doesn't grow back, engines don't "heal".

I checked my calendar twice and it says March 06 !

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've had three Nissan Z's (on my third one at present) and these cars are virtually indestructible. That's great news about yours! I hope she keeps serving you well!
smile.gif

But did you:

1. Drive it with 0 oil pressure, not knowing the gauge was faulty?

2. Drive it home in rush hour traffic without a drop of coolant?

3. Drive it cross-county with 0 oil pressure?

4. Drive it on the track for two laps with the oil pan dry?

5. Did it make your oil go from milky to good?

6. Run it dry of oil multiple times?

7. Drive it on low oil pressure for almost a year?

8. Drive it WOT at 155 MPH down the straight in BIR with 0 oil in the sump?

9. And then, finally, go to no oil consumption whatsoever due to the MoS2?

Because if you haven't, then you can.

Apparently.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Maybe Liquimoly MOS2 actually works. Their Ceratec also has a lot of moly in it (along with boron nanotech).

They both work as advertised.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Mos2 is one of two of the only additives I actually use. Stuff works great for quieting down Ej25s and decreasing wear metals in my UOAs
[

You know that a used oil analysis is not an accurate way to measure wear right.

quote=bmwtechguy]The story seems unbelievable, but i have seen scanning electron micrograph before and after images of bearing and gear surfaces treated with MOS2 in the lube, and with the moly plating on the rough, worn surfaces, a night and day difference was seen in these images. i think that the more severe the surface damage, then the larger difference the moly can make once it finishes plating. MOS2 plates up to around 45 molecular sheets thick max, if I remember correctly.[/quote]

Now that's interesting. Thank you.
I've been singing this stuffs praises for years. Some folks don't like it and that's their right. I love it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
smile.gif

But did you:

1. Drive it with 0 oil pressure, not knowing the gauge was faulty?

2. Drive it home in rush hour traffic without a drop of coolant?

3. Drive it cross-county with 0 oil pressure?

4. Drive it on the track for two laps with the oil pan dry?

5. Did it make your oil go from milky to good?

6. Run it dry of oil multiple times?

7. Drive it on low oil pressure for almost a year?

8. Drive it WOT at 155 MPH down the straight in BIR with 0 oil in the sump?

9. And then, finally, go to no oil consumption whatsoever due to the MoS2?

Because if you haven't, then you can.

Apparently.

Lets see. I said 0 oil pressure was [near] accurate. Clearly I was running with "some" oil pressure. Plenty of Z's are running with dented oil pans. This is not uncommon.

Yes, I drove it home with a bad cap, and it pushed the coolant out in the middle of traffic.

Sometimes you cannot tell how much oil you have until you hit a corner hard enough for the oil pressure to tank. This is not my primary car, nor was I planning on keeping this engine. Utterly ridiculous for you williams-baiters to say that never happened. Apparently you have never had a car that bled and burned oil to that extent. A 3qt sump is nothing and you can blow through that in a night full of pulls.

"Drive it WOT at 155 MPH down the straight in BIR with 0 oil in the sump?" -- How many Honda accords am I seeing in sigs here. I blew the oil out the tailpipe.

-- And [Apparently], I'm still driving that vehicle. In fact, I'm about to run to McDonalds.

Well, I never said it never happened. I said I choked on the statements, but I was only telling others through that list that they too can do what you did.

And Honda Accord? You'll have to explain that one to me. After McDs of course.

Originally Posted By: Bigsyke
Utterly ridiculous for you williams-baiters to say that never happened. Apparently you have never had a car that bled and burned oil to that extent.

"Drive it WOT at 155 MPH down the straight in BIR with 0 oil in the sump?" -- How many Honda accords am I seeing in sigs here. I blew the oil out the tailpipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back