Seat repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are a few pictures of the seat in my Accord. The seat cover has ripped. From what I can feel around in the seat, there is a metal brace which has foam in front of it, then the seat cover.

Probably my big self has contributed to the metal cutting through the foam and eventually wearing out the seat cover. Never the less, I'd like to get it repaired, but have been met with a lot of resistance. I checked with some upholestry places near me. Two places were, um... rude and angry? (maybe?) when I went inside and inquired about auto seat work. They quickly turned me away saying they only do boats, RVs and or household. It was as if they thought "How dare you ask us about auto upholstery". Another shop I called said they were too busy.

While I know many of us are from many different places, a shoppe recommendation isn't exactly expected. I'm here to ask some questions to those of you who deal with or have dealt with auto upholstery.

- Is something like this repairable?
- Would it be best to purchase a new seat cover and have it installed?
- Do the air bags deter a lot of upholstery folks?

Hn41HMd.jpg

UTKoJYG.jpg

mZ1sRaZ.jpg

Last edited:
If you're handy, you can do this yourself. Order a new seat cover from Honda, and buy a pair of hog ring pliers. It is a simple disassembly and reassembly procedure. I am sure there is a step by step write up on a Honda forum somewhere.

IMO...it might be less expensive and easier to visit your local salvage/junk yard to find out if they have a replacement seat for your vehicle available. Otherwise, there are shops that repair/replace interior seats but the cost may be high.

....or you could order a whole set (front and back) of leather/ or quilted seat covers from Clazzio for around $400-$500.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO...it might be less expensive and easier to visit your local salvage/junk yard to find out if they have a replacement seat for your vehicle available. Otherwise, there are shops that repair/replace interior seats but the cost may be high.

Immediately before doing this, I would go to a Honda dealer and ask about goodwill/extended warranty. It is not normal for five-year-old seats to fall to pieces. You are looking for, say, a 50% price cut on the new seat. That is still going to be expensive, but, hey, new seat.

From there, junkyards and national electronic search. Way better than attempting home fix or having custom work done.

Seat covers solve your problem, but don't fix the car.

Originally Posted By: redhat
- Is something like this repairable?
- Would it be best to purchase a new seat cover and have it installed?
- Do the air bags deter a lot of upholstery folks?

If the whole seat's fabric doesn't look like it'll deteriorate, I'd just seam it up. If that look bothers you put a outer seat cover over it, but I'd still mend it to keep it from getting worse. A lot of seat covers are a lot nicer these days.

Your other options all cost a lot more money so the decision is up to you. Yes, good reputable auto shops will tell you their experience with seat covers with seamed in airbag and will advise you of your options. Again, the decision is all yours.

Someone can probably sew it and get it looking OK. Or look to a Permatex kit at NAPA for rips.

But a new seat or seatcover will be the only way to get it looking better than just OK.

I sat in my Camry with a putty knife in my pocket blade out so I did not rip my pocket. It ripped the seat instead. It bothered me and I looked into various ways to fix it. When I sold the car 5 years latter and the rip was still there unfixed, it bothered me a lot less.

Aesthetics aren't too big of a concern. More so the back jabbing from the metal brace inside of the seat.

A patch job followed by seat covers would be my vote. These are the seat covers that I have in my Accord.
CAM000361_zps5060bbcf.jpg

CAM000341_zps33d9c28e.jpg

CAM000351_zps914eb77f.jpg

Originally Posted By: dishdude
If you're handy, you can do this yourself. Order a new seat cover from Honda, and buy a pair of hog ring pliers. It is a simple disassembly and reassembly procedure. I am sure there is a step by step write up on a Honda forum somewhere.

X2.

If you want it to look 100% original and perfect, just replace the cover with an original Honda one. On an '09, I would expect it to still be available.

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, any dealer should have experience with seat covers. With all the features in seats, it's common to have to open them up for work these days.

We have partially rebuilt seats on our delivery trucks. Many are over 300K mi, and when the seats get real bad we get new foam and a cover. Since they are GMT800s (common), the OE fabric and foam is usually available.

I have used the Permatex fabric repair kit twice with good results too. That rip might be pushing what the Permatex kit can fix, but they do include fabric backing to fix larger damage. The Permatex kit will probably be noticeable, but will keep the rip from spreading and is only $12. Since the fabric is a solid color there, it may work ok.

Put a zipper there. Possibly install one in the same spot on the passenger side. Fashionable and great conversation piece for the agents at the Niagara Falls border crossing.

Nevermind. Just joking.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Put a zipper there. Possibly install one in the same spot on the passenger side. Fashionable and great conversation piece for the agents at the Niagara Falls border crossing.

Nevermind. Just joking.

Made my day! I'm still cracking up typing this.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating

Nevermind. Just joking.

You could sew in a liner to make a pocket, that way you have a place to store your snacks.

A couple of times my cars developed tears in the upholstery from wear. I have a local source that stocks any and all material used in vehicles. I buy what I need and sew new material in the seat. The material is quite cheap. Sewing (by hand) takes a lot of time, but the results are worth it. The seats look factory new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back