Cartridge filter designs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from price and availability, is there any reason to prefer 1 design over the other?

The first filter is an OEM Mahle for various Volvo applications. Where the center of the filter makes contact with the mount on the vehicle, it has a fiber like cloth. When the cap is re-installed, it gently smashes the filter inside the housing and securely holds it in place. In this case, the entire end cap is made of this material but with other Fram, Purolator, M1, Driveworks, etc. they have a ring of fiber material around the center tube, but are essentially the same concept. (On a side note, the AAP DW filter for this application seems extremly stout and comparable to Fram's filter.)
1qrgbn.jpg

This is the WIX made Microgard, but all WIX made filters are like this. It is basically just a plastic cage and fits extremely snug inside the housing and (for me) is difficult to remove. (It literally felt like i was going to break something.) I am curious if it is too tight and will not have any play once installed like the above filter design and perhaps not seat properly. They seemed built very well, but I am not too impressed with the WIX design for this application. (Plus even with oil special deals, they are $$$.)

Could it also be possible that the "plastic-only" design on the contact area wont create a snug seal and allow partial bypass?
21.gif

mtqohl.jpg

I have used a bunch of the Wix made Napa cartridges for our KIA wwithout the issue you describe (7050 model). Perhaps it is an application specific glitch?

When it comes to cartridge filters i've always used Mann in all of my cars. (BMW and Audi)
Why? Because Mann is the OEM for most euro brands.
I've purchased ORIGINAL oil filters from both BMW and Audi and they always come with a Mann logo stamped on them.

My Toyota Corolla's (2012 & 2013) seem to perform well with Fram ToughGuard cartridge filters; they don't make the Ultra version for the 1.8L Corolla like they do for the 2.5L Camry.

I use Mahle-Knecht OX-149D and Mann HU-819X cartridge oil filter for 2006 Volvo V70, for MB E430 I use MANN HU-718/5X, BOSCH 3477, Mahle-Knecht OX3457D and Hengst.

Basically, I use German brands cartridge oil filter for European cars because I think German knows how to make cartridge oil filter(for European vehicles) better than anyone else, and most part numbers they don't cost more than others when you buy it online.

If you use common logic... get the one with the metal endcap.

I wouldn't overthink it too much.... It usually use Mann with the paper endcaps on my car.

The Hengst ones are plastic endcaps, but they have a thick fiber sealing washer.

Also from what i've most of the cartridge filters i've bought are made in Germany. (If that helps you since Mann subsidiary Purolator has a bad rep here)
A couple ones for older engines were made in Mexico but i compared them side by side with German ones and they felt and looked exactly the same.

No tears or brittle media so far after years of oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Could it also be possible that the "plastic-only" design on the contact area wont create a snug seal and allow partial bypass?

Sure, it's possible. I use Mahle cartridge filters in my TDI becasue, as you pointed out, the end cap material folds in and creates a very secure seal that is also easy to remove. Every Mahle filter I've seen, both cartridge and spin on, are good quality and they are surprisingly affordable on Rock Auto. Lower cost than the equivalent OCOD in some applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back