MC and Longer OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAK

I have a 1991 Mustang 2.3L and a 2003 Mustang 3.8L. I average 3K and 1.5K driving miles a year (mostly highway) respectively. The '91 Mustang has 70K original miles while the '03 has 28K on the ticker. With so little mileage each year, I only change the oil/filters once a year. Is it ok to use the Motorcraft oil filters, or should I invest in a high-end filter (i.e., Royal Purple, Amsoil) since the oil just sits in the filters for that length of time? I read somewhere (maybe on this site?) that once-a-year OCIs should instead include a filter with synthetic media, since this type is more durable than cellulose. Both Mustangs use the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil. Thanks in advance for any input, suggestions, or recommendations!

I think you're fine with the MC filters. With the driving you're doing, I'd only be changing the oil & filter once every 2 years. Just keep 'em topped off.

The listed high end filters are way overpriced IMO are an overkill for your applications.. much like using a battleship to kill a duck.

The MC filters will do just fine for you and I second that you should be able to go every other year assuming you allow the engine to get hot every time you run it.. and keep it topped off.
wink.gif

I use AC Delco and MC for annual (often times less frequent than that) changes. No need whatsoever for any of those Gucci oil filters in that application. Recommended OCI for many new cars is 10K miles or one year, and I haven't seen an owner's manual yet that specifies a synthetic media oil filter.

Until just recently with all the media tears being reported on filters made by purolator Motorcraft was my go to oil filter for all my ford engines and most of the ones we rebuild but since Purolator makes Motorcraft im not so sure anymore of their quality.

RAK-

I ran a MC FL400s for 15k miles in just less than a year. That filter is cellulose only. Upon dissection everything was fine. Pics posted on this site.

I ran a Wix/NG for 9k miles over three years, on my Dmax and also my Kubota. Those filters were cellulose/glass blend. Upon dissection everything was fine. Pics posted on this site.

I have run cellulose fuel filters for longer than I can remember; one on my Kubota went (IIRC) 6 years or more? Upon removal, the cartridge element was still firm yet pliable, had no voids, and end caps were intact.

There is no need to FCI frequently in your case.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
Thanks for your feedback! I knew I could depend on you guys who've done much of the legwork (i.e., dissection of used filters, data reports, personal observations). Bottom line---I'll just stick with the MC oil filters and motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back