Catalytic converter removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since our resident expert has concluded that all CC's are useless and should be discarded, I would like to ask a simple question.

How many here have removed theirs? Please state why.

How many people care about emissions and/or the air quality?

Who else here knowingly violates Federal laws?

Inquiring minds want to know...

For me personally, I've been attacked on other forums for suggesting that they should keep the cat on their vehicles (even if it's an aftermarket high flow cat or a cheap cat). I get accused of being all kinds of treehuggers.

Fact of the matter is if you are driving and you pull up behind a vehicle without a cat, the fuel smell coming out of their exhaust is downright offensive (in my opinion).

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I do. Apparently that makes me a tree hugger. And "tree hugger" is also apparently an insult. I mean, I've never literally hugged a tree, but I'll keep an open mind and maybe give it a try.
grin.gif

I prefer to leave my vehicles stock. I have found that it increases resale and most importantly, helps keep the vehicle reliable. Adding or removing components adds another failure point. Keep it simple, keep it legal, no problems.

Extra horsepower? My vehicles in stock trim are capable of exceeding every posted speed limit in the country. And since I don't street race and content at driving at or below the posted speed limits, I'm satisfied with what it's got.

I also like quiet vehicles. I want to check my gauges to see if the engine is running.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Since our resident expert has concluded that all CC's are useless and should be discarded, I would like to ask a simple question.

How many here have removed theirs? Please state why.

Who else here knowingly violates Federal laws?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Straw man argument.

So it's safe to add insecurity to your long list of undesirable traits. You're Mr. Nice Guy to those who agree with you. If not, they get your wrath, ha? LOL!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Nice try Mr. Undercover EPA Agent. No one will fall for your trap!

thumbsup2.gif

My 1988 M6 was one of the last BMWs that did not have to meet air pollution standards in Germany, and in those days the cars BMW sent to the US had considerably less horsepower(in the case of the M5/6, 30 bhp less). Due to the fact that the car wasn't designed for a catalyst the one that BMW used was small and restrictive. It bolted in, so it was easy to replace it with a "track pipe."

I would never remove a catalyst from a modern car- there's no benefit to doing so. But an older car like the M6? Maybe. While it may be illegal, it is kind of academic as I can import anything over 25 years old and it does not have to comply with ANY DOT or EPA standards.

That said, I would not certainly not hesitate to remove the thermal reactor from a '70s BMW or Porsche; it glows cherry red at night, cooks the underhood components, and requires a pig-rich mixture to function. Again, an academic issue.

Next question:
Who uses spark plug anti-foulers to eliminate the "low catalyst efficiency" CEL?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
So it's safe to add insecurity to your long list of undesirable traits. You're Mr. Nice Guy to those who agree with you. If not, they get your wrath, ha? LOL!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Nice try Mr. Undercover EPA Agent. No one will fall for your trap!

thumbsup2.gif

Trolling.gif
hooked.gif
18.gif

I see no valid reason to remove a cc. some might argue decreased backpressure. all of our new fast, high-performance, and even supercars produce incredible horsepower and performance WITH cats installed. also, all OBD II systems rely on sensors after the cats to behave properly. why fool with that? engine control systems are engineered with CC's as an integral part of the system.

I leave mine stock and here where I live, we have vehicle inspections so if your vehicle is supposed to have a cat on it and it doesn't, you don't pass. I see no point in removing them and it's also illegal and you can be accessed a huge fine if someone wants to make an issue about it. Not worth it to me.

Wayne

My cat was removed... by a thief when my Element was parked on the street. I got a cheap aftermarket put back in. In modern times with modern cars that are designed to use a cat, I can't think of a reason to remove it.

Back in the 70's there was a "as seen on TV" kind of deal...

They sold straight pipe kits where you can remove the catalytic converter *temporally* and just install this exhaust pipe, to diagnose a bad converter... of course once you installed the straight pipe, you would never take it back off or buy a new converter.

My Dad's '79 Pontiac Bonneville had one. As far as I'm concerned, any carbureted vehicle can see gains if you remove the converter.

I have to remove my cat a few hour after I work on the jeep. The dumb thing crawls in and falls asleep inside.
On a serious note, if it wasn't mardatory I don't think anyone would have one. Mine failed and plugged the exhaust. I replaced it with an oversized unit. When I hit the cutoff for emissions and not have to pass deq, I will just straight pipe it next time it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back