torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Husky 1/2 dr. torque wrench from Home Depot, USA made, seems to be a rebranded Gearwrench and Matco one, they look exactly the same. my question is the package it came in says it 50-250 ft lbs, but the wrench was set at 25 lbs, which seems to be its lowest setting. After i was done using it i set it back to 25. Could this have hurt anything or should i store it at 50? I know most torque wrenches are most accurate 20 to 100% of their scale, which is most likely why they said 25 to 250 lbs even though it has a 25 setting.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I'm under the impression you are suppose to store them at there lowest setting.

+1

I was always reminded to zero out a torque wrench after use, or set to its lowest setting.

I believe it is to relieve tension on springs inside, but I've never taken one apart to check.

Yes, go to any of the major torque wrench mfg. (SnapOn-CDI, Precision Instruments, Sturdevant, Proto,etc.) and they all recommend storing that type of wrench at it's lowest setting.

Your wrench is made by JS Technologies in Marietta Georgia. Over the years they have made wrenches for Craftsman, Armstrong, KD, Gearwrench,NAPA, and I think, even some models for SK.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

+1

+2

But which one is the lowest setting?? 25 of 50??

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I was always reminded to zero out a torque wrench after use, or set to its lowest setting.

I believe it is to relieve tension on springs inside, but I've never taken one apart to check.
+1

Twist handle right? Yeah store it at it's lowest setting else the spring inside will "sag" and result in the wrench notifying at a lower torque than what you set it to.

If it's a split beam with the knob on the side to adjust it, it doesn't matter how you store it as the mechanism isn't under load

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Twist handle right? Yeah store it at it's lowest setting else the spring inside will "sag" and result in the wrench notifying at a lower torque than what you set it to.

If it's a split beam with the knob on the side to adjust it, it doesn't matter how you store it as the mechanism isn't under load

I love having a split beam wrench for that reason alone. Cost a little more, but if you use it a lot it is well worth it not having to twist it all the way back down constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back