Cool video about Fram OCOD testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should be wearing gloves. They dont call them the OCOD for no reason.
grin.gif

Cool video, thanks for the post.

Very educational, I have full confidence in the Fram filters I use (I have a Tough Guard on right now, but all future oil changes for both my vehicles will be Ultra Guards).

In Fram's cross reference guide why do they only show the PH filters when you do a search?

Do they not want you to find the upgraded versions of their filters?

Their cross for a Mobil 1 M1-209 is a PH3600 when they make a cross for every grade of filter they make. Someone running a Mobil 1 filter might not be interested in a PH Fram filter.

Fram numbers are consistent throughout their line-up so if you know the cross reference is PH3600 then you can find all the other models.

PH3600 is the Extended Guard
TG3600 is the Tough Guard
XG3600 is the Ultra Guard

Last edited:
FYI for those who don't know, Jay Buckley (at the beginning of the video) posts as Motorking on this board

Originally Posted By: Stewie
This is quite old

38.gif

Yup-still have my free Carhartt Fram shirt from the Fram Challenge, too! It's getting a little faded & oil stained, they need to do it again.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
He should be wearing gloves. They dont call them the OCOD for no reason.
grin.gif

LoL ... good one! I can just visualize that.

Originally Posted By: Nitrofan1
Originally Posted By: Stewie
This is quite old

38.gif

True but BOTOG gets new members everyday. I haven't seen it until now. Good info by the way!

"BOTOG"? ...
21.gif
"Bob's Obviously The Oil Guy"? ...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I would love to use the Fram OCOD on my Escape but it is just too expensive. I can get equal filtration and stronger construction for cheaper with Wix, Napa Gold and MC filters. Maybe someday.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In Fram's cross reference guide why do they only show the PH filters when you do a search?

Do they not want you to find the upgraded versions of their filters?

Their cross for a Mobil 1 M1-209 is a PH3600 when they make a cross for every grade of filter they make. Someone running a Mobil 1 filter might not be interested in a PH Fram filter.

All you have to do is substitute TG for Tough Guard and XG for Ultra. We cannot make a cross ref for every single filter in the market and it is much better and more accurate to look up filter parts numbers by year, make, model and engine size. Then they are recommended by OCI in our catalog online.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
No you dont get equal filtration. All those you mention let 10% more dirt through your engine

I admit I got caught up in all the Fram bashing even though I used them for years with no issues. I just put a regular Fram on our van, the oil gets changed every 4000 miles or so. I believe the regular Fram filters better than other entry level filters, isn't that the point?

Wix, Napa Gold and Motorcraft are much better filters than the ocod take them all apart and see for yourself or look online there are hundreds of you tubes showing this. The only filter that fram makes that is worth a try is the fram ultra and it may be high on the oil restricted side i don't know yet. I did not get a chance to contact fram on that yet but i will and if they answer my question as i ask it and i get my answer thats great if they dance around the question i get real suspicious. I jusr wish purolater would make quality filters again..

I had an issue with a OCOD 26 years ago on a Honda...noise at start up due to a lack of or non functional ADBV (not sure, I was 16 and I didn't check). Replaced it with something else (probably Purolator) and the issue went away.

Since then I have used a few here and there, mostly their cartridge filters (which are more expensive for less product...) with zero issues. Currently running a spin on Tough Guard and will be running spin on Ultra Guards on both of my vehicles for at least the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back