Turn signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I'm surprised no one has brought up what I see often.

A driver turns on their signal for one direction, but actually turns in the opposite direction of their signal.

That's very common around here too. I'm still not sure how that works in someone's brain?

There are people with brain injuires who mix up left and right. A good percentage of the population suffers from mild to moderate left/right challenge. It's pretty common.

hotwheels

Many must be born with brain injuries. I used to occasionally see those with turn signals blinking for miles, but now it's a daily occurrence. Many that do signal lane changes either signal while they are doing it, or start signalling a half mile before they do it. I can understand NOT signaling around here because a good number of drivers will see that and accelerate to close the gap - nice, right?

There are too may of us out there. Many are too distracted or have never gained the ability to think ahead even a few seconds. Driving is a skill, a talent, and an art. Unfortunately, VERY few of us are artists. We are to the point at which a major paradigm shift is needed. In Texas, billions are spent on widening roads. I have noticed that more lanes does not equal smooth traffic flow. It's a simplistic philosophy from backward thinking people. It is time to take human emotion, distraction, testosterone, and plain stupidity out of the equation. I just can't tell you how to do it!

I was taught that the biggest difference between a good driver and a bad driver is that the good driver is always projecting 50 yards ahead or whatever the circumstance dictates. The bad driver only sees your bumper and will do something like the aforementioned closing of the gap when the turn signal goes on.

I think I'd love to have a $1500 beater with a "Just Effing Relax" bumper sticker on it. That would both send the message and strike fear in the BMW / Audi d-bag set who seem to be the main instigators around here. "My brakes work and I don't effing care" can be a pretty powerful message in a car like that...just need a pedestrian in the crosswalk to stop for and "Douchie" might have a problem. Is that emotion, testosterone, or other??

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I was taught that the biggest difference between a good driver and a bad driver is that the good driver is always projecting 50 yards ahead or whatever the circumstance dictates. The bad driver only sees your bumper and will do something like the aforementioned closing of the gap when the turn signal goes on.

I'll go one step further. I pay attention to what I can see in the limits of my forward vision. The DA's who go flying ahead into what can clearly be seen as a sea of brake lights and those who do the same when driving the same road every day just don't make sense to me. I won't go into too much detail because if I do Pop Rivit will chime in about how my panties are too easily wadded. Sad thing is, he's right.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Many must be born with brain injuries. I used to occasionally see those with turn signals blinking for miles, but now it's a daily occurrence.

I am surprised to see many drivers crawling about, often looking for a parking space, with their flashers on. Some people also put their flashers on because they think then everyobody else has to be prepared for their random maneuvers and turns.

hotwheels

When I lived in the mountains of western North Carolina, it was very noticeable that turn signals were a nuisance and not to be used. To see someone use a turn signal was a rare event.

Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
I get more pi**ed at seeing someone speeds up to close a gap as soon as another car uses the turn signal to change lanes.

Total d**k move!

I agree with you. In fact I think many drivers don't use signals to change lanes because it allows the other drivers to speedup suddenly to block the lane change.

Another thing I see a lot around here are drivers going slow and holding up traffic, but as soon as another car gets a chance to pass and get in front, the slow driving jerk speeds up and tries and deny the lane change, then slows down again. Ummm, I mean really, what the...

I have a friend who is a cop. I discussed this with him once. He says if he sees the opening he puts on his signal and then just gets over. If somebody gets cute and closes the gap they will get hit and then have to deal with him on the side of the road.

Does anyone else get as p----d off as I do with people who do not signal their intent to turn?

Yes. What ticks me off even more, and what I dont get at all, is when the duffer actually shows the turn signal after he/she is already half way through the turn or lane change! Whats the point ?? I think its more dumb than not showing at all.
The whole idea is to alert other drivers around you about your intentions in "advance"!

Last edited:
I used to think that all European cars came from the factory without turns signals. Then I started thinking many domestic and foreign SUV's didn't have turn signals either, because I never saw them being used on those vehicles, ever. Then as I grew up I realized what was actually going on.

Now, many Kia's and Hyundai's with leather interiors and dual-climate control systems, are experiencing the same phenomenon. I wondered, did the Korean car makers eliminate turn signals to save on costs, so they could use that money to provide a "luxury cabin" and make the owners feel like their driving a super duper fancy car; Eliminating the need for signals and responsible, courteous driving. Hmmm...

I REALLY REALLY wish there were cops hiding, and ready, willing and able to write these cretins a big ticket for not using turn signals.

Some of the affluent, elitist, putzes around here feel that they are too 'privileged', and entitled to bother with this, or that their time is too valuable to push a lever up or down.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Many of the local cops are pretty lazy when it comes to using blinkers. I rarely see cruisers signalling.

hotwheels

You can get ticket for changing lane or direction without turn signal, who will give cop ticket for not using turn signal ?

Does anyone else get as p----d off as I do with people who do not signal their intent to turn? So you sit waiting for an opportunity to pull out of a side road and then the approaching vehicle turns in to your left without signalling! Sorry, you can tell that I'm irritated but I just had about four such experiences in about the last half an hour.

Oh, don't get me started. It's one of the chief things which I hate out on the road. Californians were fairly good at using the blinkers; Texans evidently are too lazy to reach a finger out and flick the turn sig stalk.

Ugh.

Just use the d@mn signals already.

Last edited:
When I called the chief of police in the small town near me to complain about a policeman not using turn signals I was told that they were optional!

Originally Posted By: silveravant
When I called the chief of police in the small town near me to complain about a policeman not using turn signals I was told that they were optional!

Too bad you don't get that on tape...

Originally Posted By: silveravant

Dallas Police had a policy of "within a reasonable margin of safety".

Definition? You could disregard any traffic or safety regulation without lights and siren "within a reasonable margin of safety." When you collided with something, you exceeded that margin of safety and had to face the consequences.

Needless to say, turnsignals were optional.

It was pointless to report a patrol car going 70 in a 30, the wrong way down a one way, no lights/no siren. If he didn't hit anything, his supervisor did not care.

I'm sure that with dashcams etc... that policy is no longer in effect.

My grumbles-Turn signaling often seem like optional to folks. The drivers (gals mostly) that will speed up to cut off a driver entering the freeway to merge. The folks that can't manage to get up to traffic speed before merging onto the freeway. Making a left turn onto a four lane road, and during the turn not staying in the left lane and drifting to the right lane with others present. All the illegals driving around with no skills, licenses, insurance and the crashes and car chases involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back