Getting tired of the cold....my rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzu

I know this is an old, ongoing complaint, but I am truly getting tired of this cold winter. Last week I had to take a day off work because the water line coming from under the road froze deep because of the clear roads allowing the frost to go deeper than normal. It has never happened in my 24 years of living in this house. I've lived here in Western NY all my life and you would think I would be at least a little used to the colder weather. Tonight's low is expected to be -8 to -5 degrees F in March!!

Walking our small dog is becoming harder and harder with each passing artic front, followed by a cold front, followed up by another artic front. All of our quick neighborhood places for her to "go" have become isolated and barricaded off with huge plies of snow and ice. More than 10 times this winter I have to leave the car run after work, put her in it and drive 200' to a side road because a lot of neighbors don't snow blow their sidewalks leaving us to walk on the side of a major road, which we don't. It could be worse I know, but I'm just tired and cranky tonight.

Starting the car almost every day for almost 2 months now and praying for it to start gets tiresome too. Average temp here last month was 11 degrees F breaking a record. Intersections getting hazardous because visibility is hindered with tiered snow plow banks 4' high or more. Furnace seems to run every 10 minutes around the clock.

Local baseball/softball games are scheduled to start in a few weeks, but there is almost 2' of snow on the level of the fields with a concrete texture of grass underneath the snow. Good luck getting snow fence/stakes out before July.

I know I'm exaggerating and whining, but at this point I don't care. Almost everything you do on a daily basis is 5 times harder than normal and it's been going on for months now. I feel bad for coastal cities like Boston with incredible amounts of snow and the bitter cold up in Minnesota. I don't want spring temps to come, I need them to come. My rant is over, and I'll feel like a complainer after I sign off. For that I am sorry guys.

i feel your pain, wednesday had a high of 75 and drastically dropped yesterday to a low of 18. Roads were a sheet of ice and pretty much shutdown everything. Had a lot of rain wednesday and turned to freezing rain during the night....the sheets of ice on roads. not fun, cant drive on it like you can snow.

Have you thought of moving? I could never live in a place like that. I hate the heat here but at least it is always sunny, grass grows year round too.

February was below normal temps in Minnesota, but snow is way down this whole winter. I'd like to ask you fellas south of 'up north' how pavement that has been warmed by higher temps and solar can then get freezing rain to stick and freeze up the road seemingly so often and easily? I'd think the massive 'heat sink' of the pavement would hold off the freeze better.

I live near Albany and we probably have 2' on the ground and the temps are way below normal. I am sure I am burning more oil for heat. I have big dogs and open the garage door and tell them to have at it. Lots of yellow snow where the Mastiff's go.

My biggest annoyance is the pot holes and frost heaves beating the heck out of my Jeeps suspension. The county put up a "BUMP" sign on some of the worst frost heaves.

I have things I want to work on outside and its too cold to do much of anything outside.

I grew up in places that got cold. Maybe not as cold as what you're experiencing, but sometimes in the 10-20 F range, snow, ice, etc. I've been in southern California since 1979, and there's no going back for me.

There are certainly disadvantages to California - high cost of living, a lot of nuttiness, earthquakes, etc., and if you're a hunter, southern California isn't exactly a paradise.

Incidentally, I have seen snow falling in the city of San Diego once, but only once. That was a cold winter. And we do sometimes get frost, so it does dip below freezing occasionally.

I don't intend to leave.

I am getting tired of the cold, but mainly because I am ready for the change in seasons. Come September, Ill be ready for snow.
smile.gif

Its supposed to be 50 for a high next Tuesday and Wednesday. Might have to bust out the shorts!

Tzu,

That's why I live in central FL. I can't (won't) deal with snow and ice.
Sun, sand and palm trees are better than bad winters dealing with the hassles.

Talking about baseball, I plan on going to a few spring training games.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I am getting tired of the cold, but mainly because I am ready for the change in seasons. Come September, Ill be ready for snow.
smile.gif

Its supposed to be 50 for a high next Tuesday and Wednesday. Might have to bust out the shorts!

these were my exact thoughts when i saw 64 as a high next Thursday here in southern Indiana. You can tell we are from the same state. it hits 50 and everyone i know breaks out there shorts. lol its a cold 12F here right now and 10 inches of snow on the ground. It's beautiful, but i will be gald to see it go.

Man, you're fine. Many of us feel the same way-just haven't had the chance to rant about it yet! It's been a pretty tough winter for many of us...

Happy that is will soon be over!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Have you thought of moving? I could never live in a place like that. I hate the heat here but at least it is always sunny, grass grows year round too.

Why would he move? It is much easier to complain.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
I know this is an old, ongoing complaint, but I am truly getting tired of this cold winter. Last week I had to take a day off work because the water line coming from under the road froze deep because of the clear roads allowing the frost to go deeper than normal. It has never happened in my 24 years of living in this house. I've lived here in Western NY all my life and you would think I would be at least a little used to the colder weather. Tonight's low is expected to be -8 to -5 degrees F in March!!

Walking our small dog is becoming harder and harder with each passing artic front, followed by a cold front, followed up by another artic front. All of our quick neighborhood places for her to "go" have become isolated and barricaded off with huge plies of snow and ice. More than 10 times this winter I have to leave the car run after work, put her in it and drive 200' to a side road because a lot of neighbors don't snow blow their sidewalks leaving us to walk on the side of a major road, which we don't. It could be worse I know, but I'm just tired and cranky tonight.

Starting the car almost every day for almost 2 months now and praying for it to start gets tiresome too. Average temp here last month was 11 degrees F breaking a record. Intersections getting hazardous because visibility is hindered with tiered snow plow banks 4' high or more. Furnace seems to run every 10 minutes around the clock.

Local baseball/softball games are scheduled to start in a few weeks, but there is almost 2' of snow on the level of the fields with a concrete texture of grass underneath the snow. Good luck getting snow fence/stakes out before July.

I know I'm exaggerating and whining, but at this point I don't care. Almost everything you do on a daily basis is 5 times harder than normal and it's been going on for months now. I feel bad for coastal cities like Boston with incredible amounts of snow and the bitter cold up in Minnesota. I don't want spring temps to come, I need them to come. My rant is over, and I'll feel like a complainer after I sign off. For that I am sorry guys.

THere's about 2.5 feet of "global warming" in my front yard.

I think winter tends to be like Michael J. Fox.

At first it's sort of ok, but after dealing with it for a while you wish it would just go back to Canada and stay there.

Water reservoir managers out here in Washington would gladly take that two feet on the ballfields off your hands... if you could get it to the Cascade Mtns.

Mountain snowpack way down this year, and I think we had a single one inch dusting at our house all winter. It has been a very mild winter due to the way the jet stream was travelling north, then plunging down on the eastern US.

Im also done with winter...I dont think we got as much snow as last year but definitely colder and longer..dropping to -8 F tonight and will feel like -20 F. Thankfully next few days it will get to 30 or so as a high.can we get a long Spring/summer please!!!!

I want to get my Deere 212 out of the backyard and into the shop to fix it up.

There is currently a 3ft wall from where I snowblowed the sidewalk and driveway.

That's about 120ft x 25ft in an L shape. My car should be ok to move around in the actual yard part but I dont fancy an hour of backbreaking work to get into and out of the yard.

Actual yard was about mid-shin over my snow boots.. and thats standing on compacted snow.

We had 40F for about 36hours and a good decent rain.. whole yard is solid ice snow. My gutters have been solid ice for weeks too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
smile.gif

These were my exact thoughts when i saw 64 as a high next Thursday here in southern Indiana. You can tell we are from the same state. it hits 50 and everyone i know breaks out there shorts. lol its a cold 12F here right now and 10 inches of snow on the ground. It's beautiful, but i will be glad to see it go.

50F and shorts !

You guys are tough nuts !

We had cold snap in So Cal the last few days, it was mid 70's to low 80's for several weeks before then suddenly dipped to low 60's, I had to have my sweatshirt on and didn't take it off until noon today when it was 78-79.

Shorts will be on the next few days when it breaks into the 80, and wash the car too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back