Further Consideration of Filter Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine used to own an auto parts store. According to him, the Wix filter has a thicker wall, so that if it gets whacked by a stone or something sharp, it's less likely to leak.

How many times have you heard of this happening? Zero for me. Zero times ever heard it happening on this site for the years that I have been on here.

I guess the only time this would happen is if you are rock crawling or out in the brush somewhere but if the rock hits the oil filter you probably have more serious problems.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How many times have you heard of this happening? Zero for me. Zero times ever heard it happening on this site for the years that I have been on here.

I guess the only time this would happen is if you are rock crawling or out in the brush somewhere but if the rock hits the oil filter you probably have more serious problems.

It has happened with an Ultra
whistle.gif

Wix has a thicker wall than Fram or Puorlator. But it's thinner than, say, Royal Purple, M1, k&n, Amsoil, and some others. I would only be concerned on engines with low hanging filters located toward the rear of the engine. High/forward filters aren't likelu to catch road debris.

Baseplate thickness is important for high pressure oiling systems. Some of the thinner baseplates only have maybe 3 threads.

OP, you could examine your filter next time you remove it. That would be a good way to see whats going on IMO.

Back when our road was dirt and not paved, the WIX (painted steel.. no sure grip, textured paint etc.) on my moms Elantra had no chips whatsoever. It was even ran through the winter time and had no signs of rust whatsoever. The filter hangs straight down and is basically the same height off the ground as the oil pan. I can only see this being an issue if an over-sized filter was ran.. which I wouldn't recommend with this particular layout.

Everything else I service has the oil filter up inside the dog house and is completely out of harms way.. with the exception of some salt spray of course.

The key is to fully observe the filter before installation and make sure its not chipped and exposing bare steel. During the summer time, this wouldn't be an issue though.
smile.gif

Last edited:
If your biggest priority in a filter is weight, and you want a filter that is much heavier (by weight) than the average filter, get some of these:

https://www.filtersandwipers.com/oil-filter/catrol-sfx-premium/

While I have yet to throw any on a digital scale, they are much heavier than just about any filter out there and that can be easily noticed just by picking one up. I have yet to cut any open after an oil change.
IMO, the weight of an oil filter is the least thing you should worry about, however.

I can tell you from experience that any impact force capable of penetrant in a Distance Plus can will likely take the whole filter off of the block.

I've honestly never seen this problem, though.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I can tell you from experience that any impact force capable of penetrant in a Distance Plus can will likely take the whole filter off of the block.

This would be quite an issue, no?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

This would be quite an issue, no?
crackmeup2.gif

I don't lie awake nights........:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back