Fumoto drain valve particles left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Fumoto valve is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.

Thanks, I needed a laugh.
laugh.gif

You must own vehicles then that have easy access and easy drain and do not drain onto cross members and splash oil everywhere.

The oil filters (my car plus others I service) spill so much oil I don't pay any attention to the little bit that splashes when I pop the drain plug.

The oil filters (my car plus others I service) spill so much oil I don't pay any attention to the little bit that splashes when I pop the drain plug.

That's nice but there is other vehicles that have drain situations that make a total mess and fan oil everywhere. To make the claim that the Fumoto valve is a solution in search of a problem is narrow sighted.

Just because you do not either care or feel what you have is a bad drain situation to not see the need for the Fumoto, is not a one size fits all.

I've had a Fumoto on both my 2010 F-150 5.4 and my wife's 2007 Honda Fit 1.5 for almost 5 years now without problems and no issues draining all the oil.

I have the metal safety clips on both of them just because I like redundancy, but I don't see a need in them honestly other than when I have my F-150 in deep mud with stumps/roots. But even then, the valve is tucked up pretty high above the skid plates, sway bar, and cross members.

Drains a little slower but beats having the hot oil bath on your arm or splashing out of the drain bucket like my F-150 did. The Honda Fit would coat the sway bar with oil and splash back all over you if the car was at the right angle. Also, it's really nice on a windy day as the oil no longer gets blown all over my driveway as it's draining. F-150 holds right around 7 quarts and the Fit holds a little over 4 quarts. I can attach the hose to the short nipple, start draining and by the time I've got the oil filter removed and replaced, it has been done dripping. I've poured a little left over new oil down through the pan to see what ends up draining (if nasty or looks fresh) every once in a while and there's not enough old oil to change the color of what I'm flushing the pan with.

It also helps that both vehicles drain plug threads are angled slightly down and at the absolute lowest corner of the pan. I also drain oil with the front wheels on ramps for both vehicles.

Thinking about adding a valve to the 2015 Ford Fusion 1.5 ecoboost I have for work, but will have to check dimensions of the correct valve and compare to the fins of the cast aluminum oil pan.

Last edited:
Well, my last GM pickup had the drain plug on the rear, right side of the pan. Same for my 2015 I bought a couple of weeks ago. I dread that first drain coming up. Remove the plug and the oil almost makes it clear over the other right side tire! Guaranteed mess. Trying to judge that flow and get the catch pan in place is a challenge. Oh well, a Fumoto goes on at that first oil change, again. Only have to deal with that mess once.

I had same concerns about leaving the "extra" in there. A couple forums the members notched etc the valve. I measured how far in the threads were on my oil pans. I drilled the threads above that so the oil can drain there. Some people did a band saw and flush cut the same way. The drilling kept the rest intact. I removed both cars the first 1-2 times to see if extra came out after it was done draining. Maybe a couple drips but not enough to even trickle. new gaskets and not removed since.

Being able to drain right into my waste container is nice. Sequoia needs to be watched since it's 6.5 qts. Lever makes it easy to shut off early and change containers.

Installed on both '03 Sequoia and '07 Sonata 4 cyl for many years now already. No issues that I now of.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, my last GM pickup had the drain plug on the rear, right side of the pan. Same for my 2015 I bought a couple of weeks ago. I dread that first drain coming up. Remove the plug and the oil almost makes it clear over the other right side tire! Guaranteed mess. Trying to judge that flow and get the catch pan in place is a challenge. Oh well, a Fumoto goes on at that first oil change, again. Only have to deal with that mess once.

No kidding. I put one on my Silverado for just this reason.

I really don't get sideways of a little bit of oil left in the pan, if it is happening with the Fumoto. There is used oil also in the engine oil cooler and lines on my 2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L, so it sure isn't like a few teaspoons of oil in the pan is going to make a difference. The 6 quarts of fresh oil I put in and a new filter will be fine. The Fumoto will remain. Same idea as to why I have a Fumoto on my commercial semi truck and ag tractor.

Fumoto valve is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.

I don't see it that way. And from reading a number of discussion threads here, where others have vented their grief with mishaps when draining motor oil, I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of problems that the Fumoto valve addresses. Here are the ones I can think of, in no particular order, except #1 & #2, which I suspect are #1 & #2 with most others:

1) Dropped drain plug in oil drain pan.
2) Even if it isn't dropped, dirty oil all over the fingers when removing the oil plug. Even if you wear gloves, it's still a mess that is eliminated with the Fumoto valve.
3) Risk of cross threaded drain plug. I've never done this. But judging from comments here at BITOG, it must happen often. There are even Youtube videos on how to repair the oil pan drain.
4) Drain plug having a slight leak. Not a lot, but enough that there is a oily, dirty streak on the oil pan.
5) The need to replace a crush washer on the drain plug, with each oil change.
6) Hot motor oil burning your fingers, while removing the drain plug.
7) Having to constantly adjust position of the oil drain pan, as the stream of oil decreases. Of course this is only eliminated with use of the Fumoto valve that a tube can be connected to.
8) Having to transfer used motor oil from the oil drain pan to a container, to take it to the recycle station. Once again, only eliminated with use of the valve with a drain tube. The drain tube can be put right in the container that you are going to take to the recycle station.
9) Having to replace the drain plug because, after years of removal and tightening, the hex head starts to wear.

Those are the only problems that I can think of, for which the Fumoto Valve is the solution. Other than these, I suppose you are right.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
I've been changing oil for 45 years on an average of 5-6 vehicles and 2-3 changes each/year=a lot of changes. I'd use one of these valves, but haven't been dealing with the kind of vehicles with the ground clearance, and/or skidplates. Even tho you users haven't had problems, I'd see that valve as the lowest thing under the car on most anything I or relatives have owned. Can't get my self to use them thinking of that thing hanging down there waiting for the potholes/rocks/cement chunks/ice chunks/road debris, ect, ect. Maybe some day, I'll deal with the 'right vehicle', and get one

I hear you there. If I had a 2WD Ram, I wouldn't use the valve, but too much else would have to be destroyed before anything can get at the valve on my 4WD.

Rest of my stuff doesn't have an issue. With my Charger, I have little choice but to suction the dry sump tank. Isn't exposed to the underside. Diesel fuel transfer pump is my friend there.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
So it does leave some oil behind

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-li...rain-valve.html

I hate to post this, the fan boys went crazy last time. LOL
I was using MoS2 for a some time in this engine along with the Fumoto, the oil pan was rusty so i decided to change it.

What you are looking at is the old pan tilted so i could take a picture of the valve.
The pan holds 4.5 qts with the valve 4 qts. After a while i noticed its taking 3.75 qts, now i know why.

Steve SRT8 mentioned this exact thing to me, i didn't pay much attention to it, i wish i had.
The MoS2 was falling out of suspension over the long winter and not mixing back into the oil. Without the rush of oil coming out of the pan when the bolt is removed it just sat in there accumulating.

New pan installed (aftermarket, GM didn't fix the rust issue on the original they are all NOS), it takes 4.5 qts every time. Lucky i dropped this pan the stuff was creeping up to the pick up screen.
The oil and sludge in the pan was after an overnight drain with the Fumoto, the other garbage is just junk from removing the pan, there is almost 3/4 of qt in there. Thats almost 17% which is to much IMO.
Thats all i have to say, i know i will regret posting in this thread. LOL

SAM_1109_1.jpg

^^^haha, Trav, don't po the fans!

The facts are that it is not universally praised. These are on every blower and cat pump in our fleet and work great. They are also on 2 personal vehicle sumps that I carefully evaluated and decided they were ok for.

But they most definitely are NOT a universal solution...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
They are also on 2 personal vehicle sumps that I carefully evaluated and decided they were ok for.

Can you share details of this evaluation?

no problemo, Mori.

When I removed an oil pan for servicing in a very high mileage service van I found almost 1/8 inch of fine sludge on the bottom like paste. This was due to the lack of a complete drain in our application. Our trucks are maintained in house and we routinely rebuild our own engines as we have a machine shop in the family. It is common to pull the pan at around 200k miles to check out the contents, they can be very illuminating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back